Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

Stabilizer jacks

I have a 2013 Lexington 265. Curious about need vs want stabilizer jacks.
Anyone have/use? If so, type, pros, cons?
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

Our first experience with jacks was on a motor home. It would actually lift the MH to change a tire. The frame, because it was a truck chassis was very strong. There was very little if any movement with the MH. Then we switched to a TT 3 years ago and it had stab-jacks. They will not lift your TT. They do help some with stabilizing the movement but you will not be able to get rid of all of it. If battery operated they are convenient and we use them for over night stops, but don't expect a lot of stabilization. When we stop for extended stays I get out the 2-scissors jacks and place them mid-way on the frame usually just in front of the front axle. Lifting up on the frame stops movement or compression of the suspension. We recently got jacks from CW to support the slide rails. I think they were about $70 and they help a lot. They are just a screw post and it fits under the slide rail.

Put you stabilizer jacks down and have your wife walk and bounce around in the front or back. Those stab-jacks flex a lot. I am going to determine what I can do to add some metal to those jacks to reduce some of that flexing. JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

We have 4 jacks on our Lexi 265GTS. They do help stablize the coach but the rear are difficult to mount because of obstructions and low tanks. The driver's side rear must be actuated fro tne passenger side using a lonnnng extension!! We only use them for 3+ night stays.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Graduate Member

solely on the need v want - i'd put it as a real serious want.

We have a MH (so your mileage may vary), but as newbies we skipped the stabilizers the first few times we camped to test out with and without stabilizers. We now use them every single time we camp - even driveway camping.

Without: The movement of the MH when you walk inside is minimal. Nothing tips over, it doesn't bounce - it's like a boat rocking in a very gently wake (whenever someone moves around/walks). It's juuuuust enough to serve as a constant reminder that you're not perfectly still.

With: I only think about how much I love camping.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

My error. If you have a motor home they are called leveling jacks and are usually operated from the drivers seat and are designed to level the MH. Stabalizer jacks are used for TT's and are designed to somewhat stabilize the TT. There is no comparison between a TT frame and a MH truck chassis. They are night and day. TT's wiggle because the frames are so flimsy that even with 4-corner jacks there is still a lot of movement.
TeJay
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
My error. If you have a motor home they are called leveling jacks and are usually operated from the drivers seat and are designed to level the MH. Stabalizer jacks are used for TT's and are designed to somewhat stabilize the TT. There is no comparison between a TT frame and a MH truck chassis. They are night and day. TT's wiggle because the frames are so flimsy that even with 4-corner jacks there is still a lot of movement.
TeJay
I'm not a seasoned veteran of RVs, but our sales guy explained the difference to us similar to your example. We have a class C, and he said leveling jacks are extremely rare on class C's due to cost, as well as explaining as you did how they work to auto level the camper from the driver's seat.

We have stabilizer jacks. We have two scissor jacks on the back end that I get out and get the jack-arm thingy that turns them down. We were told quite explicitly that they will not carry the weight of the MH and are never ever to be used to change a tire.

But they do a great job at stabilizing!

like this, but mine are permanently attached:
2012 - 26 days

Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #7

Stab jacks used on a class C will work great. No they are not hydraulic and won't support the weight of the MH. Here's the biggest difference. Your class C is built on a truck frame which is at least 4 times the thickness as a TT frame. That's why scissors jacks work well for you. In the case of a TT scissors don't help much because the frame still flexes a lot. To get real stability on a TT and to eliminate a lot of movement would require stab jacks on the corners and probably 4 scissors along the frame sides. It's just the nature of the beast. Believe me when we switched from motor homes to TT's we were shocked.
TeJay
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #8

Stabilizer jacks are not only used o TT. They are, as their name states, stabilize a vehicle. They are NOT used to lift nor level a vehicle but to "stabilize"!
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Stab jacks used on a class C will work great. No they are not hydraulic and won't support the weight of the MH. Here's the biggest difference. Your class C is built on a truck frame which is at least 4 times the thickness as a TT frame. That's why scissors jacks work well for you. In the case of a TT scissors don't help much because the frame still flexes a lot. To get real stability on a TT and to eliminate a lot of movement would require stab jacks on the corners and probably 4 scissors along the frame sides. It's just the nature of the beast. Believe me when we switched from motor homes to TT's we were shocked.
TeJay
oh wow - I had no idea they were so different. we just went camping this weekend and walked around pondering a switch to a fifth wheel for more room. I didn't realize the structure would be different, but I guess that makes sense. Different weight needs...
2012 - 26 days