Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #1

starting to panic

Hi all....I m glad I found this site so maybe you can help. After months of checking out class c's we decided on the Lexington GTS283...for extended weekends at least 2 x per month. We ( I ) felt reasonably comfortable driving it and it met the indoor requirements although outside storage seems a little limited ( we are not big "gear" people). we had 2 TTs when the kids were little but haven't owned anything for 15 years or so. We thought we had done our research and after trying 2 dealers 2-3 hrs from home bit the bullet and ordered from RV direct as noone could come within about 4k in cost even showing them the quote. Now today I read on Rv.net and Rvusa.com a "zillion" unhappy responses on Forest River r/e roof and slide leaks. RV direct requires complete payment BEFORE you pick it up on new units......
Should I get out now while I possibly still can or are there truly happy Forest River customers out here both from the standpoint of product and non-factory repairs.
Help before the panic sets in
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #2

Panic

I owned a Forest River Class C and had no problems with any leaks. I also read the posts after I purchased mine and was worried. I think the leaking problems were due to poorly adjusted slideouts and some faulty seals. When you pick up your coach operate the slideout and make sure it goes out smoothly and run your hand along the seals when it is open and closed and check for any gaps.
You could also have the dealer run some water over the roof and check for leaks. This way if there is a problem you can address it before you take it home.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Site Team

You have to consider that on a public forum you're going to hear mostly from a few with problems but the majority with no problems remain silent. If you like the unit I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
RJW

There are good units in any brand as well as lemons, of course a good pdi will solve a lot of small issues on the spot, then take it for a couple runs testing all systems, make a list of problems and get them addressed under warranty.
A few exceptions to waiting to fix are water leaks, electrical problems, brake and tire issues due to life safety issues. Minor cosmetic, and nusance issues can wait and be addressed at one time vs many trips to the dealer for warranty work.

You will find a lot of smaller issues are easier to address yourself, than abandon a trailer at the dealers mercy for weeks on end.

IMHO

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #5

RV.net is the worst place to try and get a good review of any brand of camper. The handful of people that do get lemons want to make sure no one else buys the product, no matter which one it is.

We have had very good service from our Flagstaff and have no complaints.

One big factor in any RV purchase is to be sure you have a good dealer to back you up. I have that so I don't worry, knowing my dealer will back me up in case of issues with my trailer. He wants me to buy another one from him some day, which we probably will.

Just do a thorough PDI and test all of the systems that you can while on the lot. Once you get it home, do it again yourself to be sure you know how, and to confirm that everything is working.

Good luck and enjoy your new Lexington.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington