Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #1

Still Confused About Roof Construction

According to the label attached inside a cabinet of my Lexington 300SS I have a LEC300 GSSF model built on 5/12/2008. The only Lexington brochure I can get to download is for the 2012 model Lexingtons. That brochure says I have a rubber roof while the GTS model has a fiberglass roof.

MY roof has a pebbled or orange peeled surface. A BCLEMONS post said that FR does us a pebble fiberglass finish. When I took one of the ceiling fan trim rings off I DID NOT find any rubber roofing material brought down through the opening and stapled. A Dicor YouTube video said I would if I have a rubber roof.

I am confused. Do one of you Lexington owners know for certain? Should I call the factory.
Lex3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

If it's a pebbled finish, all one piece, than it's the fiberglass roof. I believe it's a composit of fiberglass and plastic, and is very thin. However, don't be afraid to walk on it, I do several times a month to dheck and clean. I just haul a bucket with some automotive car wash, bring up a hose, and fill it up top. Use a soft bristle brush and clean away.
One thing to be aware of is that it may develop small cracks that may get larger and let water intrude. By small, I mean several inches long and very thin. When / if you find a crack, best thing to do is drill a very small hole at the end of the crack. This will prevent it from getting larger. I then take a bit of Dicor self leveling caulk and smear it into the crack, let it set and then put another thin layer of caulk over it. After it sets up I take a small piece of Eternabond and place it over the entire repair. That will permenantly seal it. Trust me, it won't get any bigger and will never leak.
I have done this to 1/2 dozen cracks that developed on my Lexi, and it's a 2012. Once you seal it, don't worrry about it.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #3

GRUMPY0374 Thanks for the info. I do have a fiberglass roof. I will examine the roof closely tomorrow. And, I will keep the caulk and Eternabond at the ready.
Lex3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

No problem. Cracks I'm refering to might be called "hairline" cracks, and might develop anywhere on the roof. I clean the area with mineral spirits and finally with a swipe of acetone. And by a small hole, I'm talking about not much bigger than the crack. Clean it well and the patch will last as long as the rig itself.
Enjoy it!
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, roo, roof