Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #1

Surge protector location?

Hello all,
I would like to get your feedback or start a discussion on the type of surge protector and where you placed the 30amp/40amp voltage protector: at the camp ground pedastal or inside your RV by the fuse board? This protector does more than the Good Governor that you may be using or investigating for future use. The Good Governor is not a surge protector but does provide excellent information prior to plugging in your power cord. I'm somewhat concerned about theft of device when it's at the pedastal.

I look forward to hearing from other Lexington RV owners which would help me on deciding what to purchase.

George & Susan Boyle
Burnsville, NC
2008 Lexington 283gts
gboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #2

I am not a Lexington owner, however I have done a lot of research on Surge protectors and you can not go wrong with Progressive industries EMS systems. There are pros and cons with the hard wired and the portable. that is a decision you need to make. Check them out. They are made in America as well.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #3

Surge Protector Location

Thanks Mike for the reply. Because of the cost of this device having it on the pedastal makesit easy for someone to disconnect the power cable and walk away in less than a minute. On the otherhand, to install inside the coach will take some rewiring. And that may be complicated.
I was wondering if there is a lock box the device could be inserted into and all you see are the power cables going in and going out. Just thinking.....
gboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Look at this thread: also you can do a search for progressive industries above for more info.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-55645.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

Good one Fonzie!
The progressive portable one comes with a metal ring attached for locking, but as with everything, if a thief wants it bad enough they will get it. Inside the trailer would be better. Not to hard to wire up the hard wired unit. Turbs installed one with plugs that would make disconnect super easy!
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboyle View Post
I would like to get your feedback or start a discussion on the type of surge protector and where you placed the 30amp/40amp voltage protector: at the camp ground pedastal or inside your RV by the fuse board?
The word 'surge' describes many completely different anomalies. Which one concerns you?

For example, a low voltage that is ideal for electronics, can be harmful to motorized appliances. So a 'protector' in the RV can disconnect AC power when voltage drops too low. Some of these protectors might also detect when a voltage goes too high.

These protectors ignore other anomalies such as frequency variations or bad power factor.

Another anomaly is a high voltage spike actually called a surge. These microsecond events can be harmful to all appliances including electronics. Essential to protect from this type of 'surge' is a low impedance (ie within feet) connection to the earth ground electrode. Only protectors at the pedestal can make a low impedance connection.

Each anomaly is intentionally introduced to most and by most by ignoring all numbers. Then many completely different protectors that address completely different anomalies can all be sold by the same name: surge protector. Which anomaly concerns you?
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

After all the research on power protection I decided on the Progressive Industries unit. My next decision was portable or hard wired, took a few days but decided on the hard wired. I bought the EMS HW50C and got the job done in 1 1/2 hr. I'm not an electrician, just followed directions, it was an easy install. The #6 wire is a bit stiff and hard to work with in small spaces but it can be done. Bought 3' of #6 at Home Depot.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
After all the research on power protection I decided on the Progressive Industries unit. My next decision was portable or hard wired, took a few days but decided on the hard wired. I bought the EMS HW50C and got the job done in 1 1/2 hr. I'm not an electrician, just followed directions, it was an easy install. The #6 wire is a bit stiff and hard to work with in small spaces but it can be done. Bought 3' of #6 at Home Depot.
What???
No install pics?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	49566Next time I'm out there (tomorrow) I'll get pictures of the progressive unit. Have to take out screws from the bottom cabinet door to get to where the converter and progressive unit are installed just behind the distribution panel. Wish we could keep the RV at home.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Next time I'm out there (tomorrow) I'll get pictures. Have to take out screws from the bottom cabinet door to get to where the converter and progressive unit are installed just behind the distribution panel.
That easy Huh? GRR...sure wish you had made this post before I bought the portable unit!...Oh well at least I have a lock for it FWIW
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
That easy Huh? GRR...sure wish you had made this post before I bought the portable unit!...Oh well at least I have a lock for it FWIW
If you have not used it or taken it out of the packaging maybe you could exchange it for the hard wired unit if that is what you would prefer
Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Attachment 49566Next time I'm out there (tomorrow) I'll get pictures of the progressive unit. Have to take out screws from the bottom cabinet door to get to where the converter and progressive unit are installed just behind the distribution panel. Wish we could keep the RV at home.
Here is a picture of the installed unit
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	49638
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #13

Even with the lock, couldnt someone just steal the entire cord with the surge guard and lock attached?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
Even with the lock, couldnt someone just steal the entire cord with the surge guard and lock attached?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
The way my cable lock works, it snakes around the power coord, through the holes on the power guard unit and around the electric box pole.

Sure someone could take even this setup, but most RV park occupents are sensitive to who is wandering around their neighbor's site
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
The way my cable lock works, it snakes around the power coord, through the holes on the power guard unit and around the electric box pole.

Sure someone could take even this setup, but most RV park occupents are sensitive to who is wandering around their neighbor's site

That's the same way I lock mine up at least they would have to work to get it
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #16

I have never heard of one being stolen yet. Their has been a lot of talk about that it could happen but I know of nobody on this site that had a portable stolen. If anyone has I would like to know where they where staying. I just use a cable lock but that is just a determent, plus a scare light on that side with motion detection. I hope it nevers happens to anyone on this site.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location