Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
It pays to carry a GOOD spare tire/rim. Even if you can't change it yourself, you have it for a repair person to use, rather then having to pay for a tire that they might bring. $350.00 will pay for a new tire, rim, and the Curt spare tire carrier I bought, plus the dual tow mount. I carry necessary tools to change it myself, but if you have to rely on roadside assistance, and have a spare, at least your not at their mercy.
Grumpy
Your picture of your RV is almost exactly like ours, same color and maybe size, but ours is a 2004 so the lights are different. I don't have the proper tools yet but I will get them.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #22

Tandem, ours is a 2012 Lexi 283ts. Bottom lights are factory led's. Upper lights are led's I added for more "lighting exposure".
In addition to a spare, I carry a 12 ton bottle jack, and a Lowes Kobalt 1/2 drive electric impact gun. If near power I just use outside receptical. If on the road, I run it off the generator. Gun has plenty of power to get lug nuts off/on. No way would I risk by back/shoulders with a lug wrench or breaker bar.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #23

Everyone has a different opinion the last tire in the world I would buy is Michelin the last several sets 20,000 miles per set was the best I could get. One set was replaced free. So I got 40.000 out of two sets of Michelins tires. next time they we prorated..... I could get 40,000 plus miles out of everything else....... I currently can't recommend any one brand over the other I get the same from Generals, Goodyear, Bridgestones but definitely will never buy another Michelin !

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacetic View Post
Chuck,
What monitoring system are you using? We had it in our last RV and they failed to register a leak. Is the brand TireMinder ?
I actually used a third party labelled version of a TireMinder TMG400C. It's exactly the same unit with a different logo.
http://www.amazon.com/TireTech-On-TP.../dp/B00HEP4LTU
I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #25

Thanks Chuck, we will definitely check it out.
Copacetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #26

We got 71,000 miles out of our last set of Michelin tires. I would love to find their tires that would fit my TT, but no dice.
It's my PERSONAL belief that MANY tire problems are caused by misalignments and caster/camber problems. Many just replace their tires and don't check to find the reason for the problems they are having and expecting different results. Not going to happen.
We also use the TST 507 RV TPMS with no problems what so ever in two years. When we got new tires installed, they got the sensors mixed up as to which tire went where, but I checked it before making our trip South and corrected it.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Everyone has a different opinion the last tire in the world I would buy is Michelin the last several sets 20,000 miles per set was the best I could get. One set was replaced free. So I got 40.000 out of two sets of Michelins tires. next time they we prorated..... I could get 40,000 plus miles out of everything else....... I currently can't recommend any one brand over the other I get the same from Generals, Goodyear, Bridgestones but definitely will never buy another Michelin !

It is always strange to me... I love Michelin and Bf Goodrich tires. Don't want anything else that I know of at this time. I bought my ole Dodge with 65k on it and used Michelin X-something tires. I put another 60k+ on them before changing...yes they was wore out. I messed up and varied to other types 3 times. Can't replay that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #28

Speaking of tools for changing tires, Ford E450's have a pin on each front axle beam for the factory jack. There was no jack with our Sunseeker, maybe because the factory jack is not strong enough to lift the rear axle.

There’s no good place to lift it with a hydraulic bottle jack, so I made an adapter to utilize the pins. The adapter is made from a piece of pipe that I sawed in half lengthwise welded to a pipe cap. Notice in the photo that one end of the pipe is flush with the edge of the pipe cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1451210766204.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	96828   Click image for larger version

Name:	1451210778665.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	96829  
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #29

When buying tires from Costco check the date of maufacturer. Last yeat Costco mounted new tires that were 3 years old. I made them take them off.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
When buying tires from Costco check the date of maufacturer. Last yeat Costco mounted new tires that were 3 years old. I made them take them off.
Thanks for posting this.

This is good advice no matter where anyone buys tires. I recall a few years back ABC news visited major tire stores and found "new" tires that were five and six years old.

Don't ever let a salesperson tell you tires don't age in storage. . .they do.

When I put tires on my former diesel pusher (at $600 a tire) I would have the salesperson take me into the warehouse and I would select the tires myself. . .obviously the ones with the newest manufacture date.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #31

Just bought 4 Maxxis from my local tire guy. He had just ordered them. I ended up with 4 tires less than three month old. Luck like this rarely comes my way. The tire guy told me when he ordered the tire from his distributor, he told them he would not accept any more than 90 days old and he kept his word.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #32

I bought a factory jack for mine with the factory wrenches off E-bay for mine.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #33

wheel simulator

Does anybody know how to remove the rear dually wheel simulator cover on 2005 Lexington 210 ?
telldem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
telldem,

If you mean the "hub cap" that has 6 bolts, 2 or 3 of those turn and are used to lock the wheel cover in place. Someplace in your RV should be a tool that looks like a socket with a T on top that you can use.

I had to find a video on-line to show me how to do it (I mean the hub caps, stop laughing).
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #35

Well I bought 2 Michelin for the front and moved the front to the left rear where the dealer found that the outside dual was "Separating" and that was causing the bad wear on both the left rear duel's!!
After a $300 front end alignment!! (she drives nice now!) we are ready to go.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #36

Thanks.
telldem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires