Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Steps

The motor is pretty well sealed, as well as the gearbox. I this if you remove the motor assembly you will find a mess inside the gearbox. The three nylon bearings have likely become a million pieces binding up the works. If so, get the late 90's Ford Taurus power window gearbox repair kit. It will likely be as good as new. It is not difficult, but you do need to be somewhat handy... Good luck!
RS

Old 04-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Lexie Step

If you hear the motor trying to move the step, the motor is likely still good. See my post in the Lexington forum under power steps. It you are handy, it may be an inexpensive fix...
Rick Smith

Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #13

Our steps quit working a year or so ago. Paid to have them repaired twice and they quit working within 10 miles of driving. I cannot get on the ground to try to figure it out and have given up and just set out a plastic step on the ground to get in and out. Very inconvenient and not safe for people in their 70's. Our microwave also won't work and we replaced it twice. We are pretty disappointed in this motorhome.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Sorry to hear...

Sadly both items are not really a Forest River issue. These same steps have been used on every motorhome we have owned, and are usually pretty dependable if you keep them lubed, and don't step on them as they are going in or out as I did. (my fault) And the microwave, I see Winnebago owners & others complaining about this 1/2 Time Oven also. I guess several manufacturers got sold on that unit. But it is an easy inexpensive fix. One thing I have learned after over 40 years of RV'ing, it is not for the faint of heart. If you took you house and bounced it down the road just a mile or so, what would you have left! With that said, I hope your luck changes...
RS
Old 05-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLSmith53 View Post
Sadly both items are not really a Forest River issue. These same steps have been used on every motorhome we have owned, and are usually pretty dependable if you keep them lubed, and don't step on them as they are going in or out as I did. (my fault) And the microwave, I see Winnebago owners & others complaining about this 1/2 Time Oven also. I guess several manufacturers got sold on that unit. But it is an easy inexpensive fix. One thing I have learned after over 40 years of RV'ing, it is not for the faint of heart. If you took you house and bounced it down the road just a mile or so, what would you have left! With that said, I hope your luck changes...
RS
But isn't that the point. These units are not supposed to be made to sit their entire life in one spot like the house. They are mobile units and therefore are supposed to be engineered and constructed to deal with the rigors of the road and beyond (the bouncing and so forth). That's where some manufacturers fall short. Seems sometimes like Forest River and others are experimenting with what the final configuration of a given unit will be at our expense. JMO
Old 05-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

RV Movement

I have seldom had problems with the actual RV, the part built by the RV manufacturer, and I have had about 8 units over the years. It the residential "household" items they put in them that is usually the problem children.

As far as that step goes, someone did not apparently do a quality repair. Properly cared for they can go for MANY years with no problems. I would take it to a different shop. Good luck.
RS
Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

I have an appt at Camping World on May 20th. Will see if they have any luck fixing it. We have also Rv'd for 40 years. Started tenting in the 60's, have had pop-ups, slide-in, 5th wheels, a 40' Beaver Patriot and now have downsized to the Lexington. We know there is always something but the Lexington has had more than it's share. I have maintained the steps and oiled them many times. It's an electrical issue somewhere which is the hardest thing for us to fix on our own and for repairmen to find.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #18
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Steps...

I know there can be issues with the door contacts as well. But hopefully C.W. will find it. Good luck.
RS

Tags
electric