Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Water Filter Warning ***

We just came home from a VERY short trip. My Lexie 255 GTS has a large water filter under the bed. While camped at Fort Widerness Disney World we came back to our M.H. after an evening of fun about 10p to a nightmare! My motorhome was sitting in a lake of water with water pouring out of every orfice! We rushed to it and opened the door to a wave of water! I quickly shut off the incoming water supply and we started our ALL NIGHT drying process. And by daylight we through in the towel(s) and packed up to head home after less than 24hrs. That will go down as my worse trip EVER! Your hint is above... The canister part of the water filter broke at the bottom of the screw in treads which let the canister fall down, and the high water pressure to spray under my bed for God knows how long. But needless to say, we were flooded. My neighbor had a commercial water extractor and helped me get all the carpeting dried out. What a mess! If you have the filter under your bed, check it for fatigue. It will be WELL WORTH YOUR TIME!!!
RickLSmith53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #2

Very sorry to hear about this. We never leave our unit and leave the water on. Never wanted to come back to a watered down unit. Hopefully you can get it all dried out quickly and there will be no probelms with it.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Even tho we do not have a MH will tuck this good info away as we have the filter system in our camper. Thanks for the heads up. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything dries up and is fine.
With that being said, the water filter seems to an issue in a lot of TT's. If I happen to have water hook ups (which is rare) I try to remember to cut the water off before I leave the camper.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Very sorry to hear about this. We never leave our unit and leave the water on. Never wanted to come back to a watered down unit. Hopefully you can get it all dried out quickly and there will be no probelms with it.
X2 on all accounts.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Water Filter Con't

Yes I got it all dried out and at the moment, you would never know it happened. And on the plus side, my carpet looks like new again! Besides removing and bypassing the filter, I too will try to remember to TURN OFF the incoming water B4 leaving the RV!!!
RickLSmith53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLSmith53 View Post
We just came home from a VERY short trip. My Lexie 255 GTS has a large water filter under the bed. While camped at Fort Widerness Disney World we came back to our M.H. after an evening of fun about 10p to a nightmare! My motorhome was sitting in a lake of water with water pouring out of every orfice! We rushed to it and opened the door to a wave of water! I quickly shut off the incoming water supply and we started our ALL NIGHT drying process. And by daylight we through in the towel(s) and packed up to head home after less than 24hrs. That will go down as my worse trip EVER! Your hint is above... The canister part of the water filter broke at the bottom of the screw in treads which let the canister fall down, and the high water pressure to spray under my bed for God knows how long. But needless to say, we were flooded. My neighbor had a commercial water extractor and helped me get all the carpeting dried out. What a mess! If you have the filter under your bed, check it for fatigue. It will be WELL WORTH YOUR TIME!!!
Is your system the FR1 with the KW1 filter?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

That's awful! Your looking on the bright side which is a good thing!

I had mine let go on a month old RV. Lucky the canister is in the outside compartment and is in an area that is plastic and has a drain area to let water out! With mine under pressure it would twist right off!
Old 08-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Time is better spent removing the filter completely and using one outside.
If I am going to be gone for more than a hour I turn the water off.

Something like so.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
x3
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

No trouble now, but a couple of years down the road .......... Soft floors for a starter.
Best of luck.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #12

Filter Water Presure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Time is better spent removing the filter completely and using one outside.
If I am going to be gone for more than a hour I turn the water off.

With all these filters attached does this effect the water pressure inside your unit or does it lower the pressure for showers, cleaning and etc.Ted Hall
Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Sorry to hear that I'd be on the lookout out for floor and wall damage and keep the A/C on to help continue drying it out even more.
I do like others have said and I try to remember to shut off the water when we leave.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #14

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Things we've had that have sprung leaks,,,,,a connection under the sink,,,,,the house water pump,,,,the toilet valve,,,,,bottom of the faucet in the lavatory,,,,check valve under lavatory,,,,,AND the KW1 water filter. We were sitting watching TV and we heard a "BUMP"....after searching around we found water coming out from under the lavatory where the filter is....the plastic removable case that holds the filter shattered.....I took it to the dealer and they said that we let it freeze,,,,,,NOOOOO!!!!,,,,,,we've lived full time in the Windjammer since we bought it, and I assured him that we haven't been living in freezing temps in the trailer at all and the filter is in the living area.....we finally decided that it was a defect OR that the manufacturer filled it with water for leak testing,,,,and it "partially" cracked even before we took possession. No trouble since,,,,,BUT,,,,WE NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT SHUTTING OFF THE WATER. It's our full time home and it would turn our world up-side-down to have that happen. Never assume that it won't break just because it's new. Ours was still under the year's warranty when it happened.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #15

We removed our filter too and now using a filter on the water hose and turn off the water when you leave.
Rkluge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #16
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Advice to all who hook up to "shore" water - use a pressure reducer! Those pressures can surge at anytime. RV plumbing, including filter canisters, is not made to withstand much more than 40 psi, and public water supplies can range as high as 80-100 psi on surges.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanddhall View Post
With all these filters attached does this effect the water pressure inside your unit or does it lower the pressure for showers, cleaning and etc.Ted Hall
Nope. I have a similar setup on my trailer.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes I got it all dried out and at the moment, you would never know it happened. And on the plus side, my carpet looks like new again! Besides removing and bypassing the filter, I too will try to remember to TURN OFF the incoming water B4 leaving the RV!!!
Good reminder and scare. Thanks. Now not only my external pressure regulator and outside line filter,,,,, When we ever are on a hookup, I think you have scared me enough that we will turn water off when we go to bed. Pump and on board water is plenty except for showers anyway.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
Advice to all who hook up to "shore" water - use a pressure reducer! Those pressures can surge at anytime. RV plumbing, including filter canisters, is not made to withstand much more than 40 psi, and public water supplies can range as high as 80-100 psi on surges.
Easily. Just checked mine at home and is above 110 psi
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #20

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Tom48,,,,if you hook up to 110psi,,,,you're almost guaranteeing that you're going to cause leaks,,,,if not a blowout somewhere in your plumbing. I agree on the pressure regulator,,,,,forgot to mention that....HikerBob.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter