Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

WFCO 8955 Converter replacement

I am looking to replace my WFCO 8955 converter with the Progressive Dynamics Model #PD4655V. I looked at the installation instructions for the Progressive Dynamics unit and I think I am missing something. For any of you that have done this swap did you just have to pull out the old box and do the required steps in it? The second step of the instructions say: 2. Remove front panel by removing (6) screws at bottom of panel.
There is no way I can see any panel, let alone the front panel without taking the converter out all together, along with the fresh water tank is looks like.
HELP! What am I missing?
2008 Lexington 283GTS
Old 02-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

On my 2010 255GTS I replaced the WFCO with a PD9145A with Charge Wizard that came out of my last motorhome. My case was extremely simple and took about half hour. Under the bed I unplugged the WFCO AC plug, loosened the DC cables, and removed the ground wire (bare copper). At that point I removed the DC cables one at a time and connected them to the PD9145A which I sat on top of the WFCO. I was very careful with this step because these cables were connected to the batteries. (I probably used the battery disconnect for this step but I don't remember.)
Then I unscrewed the WFCO from the floor and removed it. I screwed the PD in place and connected the ground wire. Then I plugged in the PD.
That's it. The biggest issue for me was that the PD took a different piece of plywood between it and the floor so it took a few minutes to find a scrap in the workshop that would do.
I stuck my Charge Wizard to the side of the bed next to the breaker/fuse panel so when I walk by and peek thru the windshield I can see the LED flash every few seconds meaning it is on float mode at 13.2 V.
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Canadian Member

This video may help.

http://youtu.be/DKZ9KSX1rno
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

Is it possible PD is referring to replacement in an integrated unit of some kind? After posting the above reply I remembered that the first PD9145A I put in was on our second Lance camper with an old Magnatek converter/charger. It had a box with the charger in the bottom compartment and an integrated fuse/breaker panel in the top.
For that project I had to physically remove the charger section from the bottom compartment and reroute the two battery wires to the PD. In my case I had to do some hack sawing on the old case to make room for the 45amp PD. If I had gotten the 60amp it would have fit right in but it was no big deal.
Turned out to be a simple project but it looked pretty difficult before I started. If I remember correctly I did use PD's instructions to tell me what I had to do electrically.
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharly View Post
I am looking to replace my WFCO 8955 converter with the Progressive Dynamics Model #PD4655V. I looked at the installation instructions for the Progressive Dynamics unit and I think I am missing something. For any of you that have done this swap did you just have to pull out the old box and do the required steps in it? The second step of the instructions say: 2. Remove front panel by removing (6) screws at bottom of panel.
There is no way I can see any panel, let alone the front panel without taking the converter out all together, along with the fresh water tank is looks like.
HELP! What am I missing?
2008 Lexington 283GTS
the WFCO has no box, the new progressive comes in a metal box remove the metal box and then install it.... I think that is the one your talking about, maybe not.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:46 AM   #6

Thank you all!

itat, i watched that video and even though I don't much like his workmanship it did help me understand a bit more of the task at hand.

gljurczyk, my WFCO does have a box and the PD unit is supposed to fit right in. It will be interesting to see if it does or not!

dontay, thanks for your input, very helpful. And I will be looking for that Charge wizard

TC
Old 02-16-2016, 05:14 AM   #7

Quote:
itat, i watched that video and even though I don't much like his workmanship it did help me understand a bit more of the task at hand.

gljurczyk, my WFCO does have a box and the PD unit is supposed to fit right in. It will be interesting to see if it does or not!

dontay, thanks for your input, very helpful. And I will be looking for that Charge wizard

TC
I had to take the metal box it comes in off the new unit and also you will get a new board and that is were your wizard is located and you press the button it is not a pendant....Easy to in stall one wire at a time...

Old 02-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
FLORIDA F.R.O.G.

Replacing WFCO

I don't remember all the steps, it's been a while... But you take the brown plastic faceplate off, disc your house batteries, then remove the WFCO guts. The PD unit will go into the same housing. Be careful not to mix up the 12v wiring that has to be moved to the new units fuse panel connectors. You may find a YouTube vid showing the process, I never looked.
RickLSmith53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

It appears that I have a WFCO 8955 converter but the distribution panel is a WFCO 8930/50. The new board supplied with the PD 4655V has the main power and ground wire coming in from the side, and the old board has those connections on the top. I don't see a good way to re-route the wiring. Also the DC boards are a different size and shape. I'm wondering if I can just swap out the converter box and leave the DC board where it is.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #10

Dyslexia rears it cross-eyed head!

Thanks for all your help kind folks, but after further inspection it turns out that I have a WFCO 9855, not a 8955! My apologies to all of you that tried to help, I really do appreciate your time! I'll be calling PD in the morning.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #11

I ended up replacing the old 9855 with a new one and everything seems to be fine now. It even cured the problem of my circuit breaker blowing that I was having. I just hope the new unit lasts for a while.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:28 AM   #12

Quote:
I ended up replacing the old 9855 with a new one and everything seems to be fine now. It even cured the problem of my circuit breaker blowing that I was having. I just hope the new unit lasts for a while.
It should last Progressive makes a better Convertor IMO. What could have happened like mine did was the fan for cooling was stopping, that could cause the heat and extra amps to trip the breaker. I think you will like it. Good for you...

Tags
converter, replacement, wfco