Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #21

Smile

Thanks so much for the test procedures info, Aaron. I will try to do that tomorrow. I will further test the fuses and breakers tomorrow. I now have a multimeter and a non-contact voltage tester. I think I need another piece of testing equipment to test fuses - I will check on this and get it if I need it. So happy to have found Harbor Freight - that place is amazing!!

Will continue to give updates and ask questions - thanks so much for all the help, everyone!!

Cindy
heb1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #22

Your multimeter will check the fuses. Use the setting for checking continuity or resistance.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #23

Update: I've done all the testing I know how to do now, and I'm just not sure. The batteries read marginally low, but not seemingly low enough to replace. Testing the convertor by hooking the camper up to AC power and then checking the power to the batteries reveals that the batteries are not getting sufficient power to charge them (at least that's the way it seems), but again, it's marginally low. I checked all of the fuses I could find (the ones on the convertor as well as all of them in the fuse panel) and they are all fine. I flipped all of the breakers and this didn't seem to make any difference in the power that was delivered to the batteries. So I think it's the convertor, but I just can't be sure that I've checked everything. So the motorhome is going to the RV repair shop tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who is doing mobile repair here in Huntsville anymore. I've heard of some good RV mechanics who used to be in business, but no longer are.

I don't want to start replacing things "just to see if it helps", which at this point that's what I feel like I would be doing. Of course that may be what the RV repair shop does as well...

So off it goes... I'll let you know what happens...
Old 01-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #24

You are wise to take it in if unsure of the problem. Please keep us updated.
Just curious...what was the voltage reading across the battery terminals while the unit was plugged in to A/C?
Andersen hitch
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #25

They read the same as they did without the power. At the time I tested they read 12.58.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by heb1024 View Post
They read the same as they did without the power. At the time I tested they read 12.58.
at that voltage the batteries would seem fully charged, but when you turn the converter on, if it is working the voltage should rise to at least 13.3 volts. If it doesn't, the converter is not working or is disconnected.

If the converter isn't working I really wonder how the battery could still be fully charged.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #27
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
at that voltage the batteries would seem fully charged, but when you turn the converter on, if it is working the voltage should rise to at least 13.3 volts. If it doesn't, the converter is not working or is disconnected.

If the converter isn't working I really wonder how the battery could still be fully charged.
I am guessing it was driven a distance, if that is the case the batteries would have been charged by the alternator.

Agreed that if plugged in, battery switch on, all breakers and fuses working, and converter working there should be 13+ volts at the battery. My resting charge is around 13.1-13.4. Turn the converter off wait half an hour and it the reading will be 12.8 or so.

If you aren't familiar with 12 volt/120 volt trouble shooting it can be very frustrating trying to get to the bottom of the issue(s).

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #28

I had charged the batteries using an external battery charger a few days before, and had also just driven the camper from the storage facility and the battery is charged by the engine of the motor home. That would be my answer as to why the batteries were so well charged at the time.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #29

Smile

Final info on the battery charging problem: Just picked the Lexi back up from the RV repair shop. They replaced the convertor - and it was covered by the warranty I bought when I purchased the motorhome!! Good thing... as the bill was horrendous!! I left the bill in the motorhome, so I'm not sure of the specifics, though.

The mechanic said that the convertor was delivering a charge inconsistently - would charge a little for a while, and then shut off. This would explain some of the inconsistent readings I was getting! So hopefully this will fix the issue!

I will post here again if I have further problems - if you don't hear any more from me on this thread, you will know all is well!! Planning a trip for next weekend, which will provide a good test.

Happy Camping everyone - and thanks again for all of your help!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #30

Glad you got it resolved!
Andersen hitch
Old 10-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Cindy,
Which unit do you have?

mlatter is correct in that you need to check the output from the converter when plugged in. Also make sure your battery disconnect switch is in the on position.

Aaron
My batteries have to be in the OFF position or the converter clicks off and resets, but in ON position I get nothing, zero power. A/C, 12v lights nothing!
I measured the batteries and they're on 12.0 & 11.9 respectively????? I am at a loss why I have zero power when not plugged into an external source. ?????
Brum27rlws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery