Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Winter Use

Good evening folks,

Considering the purchase of a 2006 Lexington, IF, it is a worthy winter rig. I would primarily like to use it during those weekends I head out to use my snow machines but it certainly does get cold at 10,000 feet in the Rockies during the winter.

What are your personal experiences when using your rig during colder/winter conditions. Are the tank heaters really capable of keeping things from freezing. As a base line, lets use night time temps of 20 degrees, would the tank heaters really be capable? Have you been in colder conditions? Other challenges you may have encountered during winter travel and use? Thoughts and or advise.

Thank you in advance.

Chaos
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

If the Lexington has tank heaters then they are up to the job. That being said all RVs are built and insulated the same so it doesn't matter which one you choose really. We find that when the weather or temperatures are at extremes (too hot or too cold) we really prefer to have hookups to be able to keep the heat or AC running. If we go skiing we look for a place that has hookups. NO RV will come equipped with enough battery power for you to dry camp in 20 degree temperatures for a weekend. I gurantee you will be out of power half way through the first night unless you want to run a generator all night long and really tick off your neighbors.

Camping in extremes takes some practice and some preparation. Choose the RV that best suits you and then learn what it takes to do what you want to do.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #3

Interesting information Jeeper, thank you. I thought for sure it would push the limits, glad to hear otherwise.

BTW, thank you for the welcome. Not sure I'll be permanent here on the forum yet, but, if I had to guess... Trying to make that go-no-go decision on a 2006 Lexington that appears to be in good shape and squared away. 12,600 miles and the owner is asking 50K. Seems fair but I guess I'm looking for a second opinion!

Chaos
Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #4

No problem Chaos, I'm not really up on what the prices are doing. It would seem that the smaller motorhomes and especially the Class Cs are holding a higher used price than I would expect. Our friends have been looking at all kinds of Class Cs for the better part of a year and have been shocked by the prices. The floorplan of the RV really makes the sale and as long as you are happy with the price then all is good. Just make sure that it has the towing capacity that you need to pull your sleds or whatever else you need to tow as some of the smaller motorhomes only have 3500lb towing. That can change from year to year too.

No matter if you decide on an FR product or not though you are welcome here if you have questions or want to help others with theirs.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Interesting information Jeeper, thank you. I thought for sure it would push the limits, glad to hear otherwise.

BTW, thank you for the welcome. Not sure I'll be permanent here on the forum yet, but, if I had to guess... Trying to make that go-no-go decision on a 2006 Lexington that appears to be in good shape and squared away. 12,600 miles and the owner is asking 50K. Seems fair but I guess I'm looking for a second opinion!

Chaos
You can go to eBay Motors and look at similar models or RVTrader.com At least you'll have a better idea of what similar units are selling for. Options might vary though from the unit you're looking at 50k.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #6

Hi cfsoistman. I went to the eBay Motor but I can't find it. I am not satisfied with it. What else should I do?
cerealjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #7

cfsoistman,

Not a bad idea but I was darned if I could locate one being sold on ebay.

Anyway, anyone have an opinion on the useful life of tires on a motorhome? I have read anything from three years max to "let your eye be a guide". The tires on the rig I am looking at are probably original (2006) but they look great. Thoughts from some of the SME's here on this site?

Thanks in advance.

Chaos
Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #8

Who ever told you 3 years is probably wasting their money buying tires too often unless theirs see sun 24/7. 7 years is the absolute max in most cases. Some may last longer if kept out of the sun. If you live in Arizona and the tires see a lot of heat or sun then they may wear out after just 3 years. Of course you will get many differing viewpoints on this subject. It is my understanding that due to testing the British government has done they have rules in place about maximum tire life, that being about 7 years.

Keep a close eye on them for cracking on the sidewall or "tire rot" as it is a sure indicator that they need to be replaced. RV tires will wear out long before the tread does so don't go by the amount of it left.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #9

I'm also interested in the winterizing tips and tricks information.
Being at a powered site and running a little heater seems like a good plan for the inside. We've got the "artic package" which seems to mean tank heaters, but aside from that are there other ideas? I saw one suggestion to mount a power outlet inside the storage area with the water tank and to plug in a string of Christmas lights to boost the temp just a little. Aside from being festive would it be effective?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
I'm also interested in the winterizing tips and tricks information.
Being at a powered site and running a little heater seems like a good plan for the inside. We've got the "artic package" which seems to mean tank heaters, but aside from that are there other ideas? I saw one suggestion to mount a power outlet inside the storage area with the water tank and to plug in a string of Christmas lights to boost the temp just a little. Aside from being festive would it be effective?
Susan, I wouldn't use christmas lights but I do string rope lights through my outside plumbing compartment and have it set on a temperature controller to come on at around 38 degrees.

Do a search for "winterizing" and you will probably come up with a lot of good tricks as it has been a big subject here in the past.
www.nwjeepn.com

Tags
lexington