Old 05-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

120 volt power while driving

I have a 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS and was wondering if you can get 120 v power while driving. My grandkids wanted to play their play station on our inaugural trip but couldn't while we were driving. Thoughts and thanks.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarignan View Post
I have a 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS and was wondering if you can get 120 v power while driving. My grandkids wanted to play their play station on our inaugural trip but couldn't while we were driving. Thoughts and thanks.

Run your generator and you should be able to use just about anything electric.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
RETIRED

Small inverter might do the trick plugged into 12v socket

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #4

Our Chevy has a 115 volt socket in the dash using a built-in inverter; it is active while underway.
If you don't have the socket in your dash, as mentioned, get an inexpensive inverter to plug into a lighter socket, or better yet, get a good Pure Sine Wave inverter and hard-wire it to the batteries. Ensure you've turned it off while you are not using your unit - the parasitic draw will drain your batteries unless you have the unit plugged in.

A PSW inverter is compatible with anything AC (up to the rated wattage), where a MSW (Modified Sine Wave) may not. I have some AC devices that do not work with MSW.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

Sounds like you may be new to RVing with a motorhome. If so, welcome!

You will find the need very often to run the generator while driving, especially with extra passengers and in hot climates. You will need to power the roof air conditioner simply because the dash AC cannot cool the whole coach. So all your power outlets can be utilized.

Just remember, the generator typically has a safety cutoff when the main fuel tank falls below 1/4 tank. This is to prevent running out of gas while parked, so you need to stay above that level to keep the generator running. Good luck on your maiden voyage.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #6

Very simple A friend of mine years ago bought us a 12volt to 110 volt AC invert-er at "harbor Freight" I never knew what I'd use it for?? But after buying a 2015 Sunseeker 2500TS It works the nuts.Plugs into a 12 volt receptacle and has 2, 110 volt receptacles. and will sit in the cup-holder. However the fan is a little noisy so I have a long extension for 12 volt and we left it in the shower while driving.and a cord from it to our house and ATT phone system.I think it has capacity to 250 watts output.maybe more but that would need a different source other than the cigarette lighter (power plug) It will easily run play stations etc.and the sunseekers TV's are 12 volt anyway.We left it on all day and night for 10 days on our trip out west.I also use it in my car when I need to take my home phone and ATT base with me. I don't know what they cost but my guess is less than 40 bucks