Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #1

12V DVD player in bedroom 3170DS

I am looking for dvd palyer for the bedroom in my 3170DS. Since there is only a 12V outlet on the slide I am limited on options. I was thinking about getting a 12V adapter for an old Play Station 2 and a 12v splitter. It looks like the 19" Jensen draws 3.3A and the play station 5.3A. Does anyone know what the limits are on this outlet?
lowreyfarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #2

I brough a sony Blu-ray it had a 12 converter .
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #3

I ran into the same problem as you did with my 3170ds. I just went out and bought a cheap 12V splitter and a converter that converts 12V to 120V. I plugged the Jensen TV into one of the 12V outlets and the converter into the other 12V outlet. Then I plugged a DVD player into the converter, and so far, all seems to be working well. The worst thing that can happen would be a blown fuse, which is very simple to replace. I attached a picture of the converter and 12V splitter I used. Hope this helps! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405513779.434126.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	892.3 KB
ID:	58286Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405513881.622134.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	58287
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #4

I had the same inquiry last year. the only thing to be wary of with a splitter is exactly the question you are asking....If you over-load it, it can over-heat and can create a flame. if you are doing what we contimplated, the splitter will be behind the TV concealed by the closet panelling. I too want the confidence that splitting the TV to plug in a DVD player is going to be safe. I have never gotten this assurrance (though nobody has explicitly said "Don't do it" either.

I am leaning towards a combo TV/DVD/Blueray that operates on a 12V....More expensive but less risk.
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 AM   #5

Perhaps BClemons could inform us of the make and model of the TV/DVD combo currently being installed on the new models. If I understand previous deiscussion FR has opted for this over the co-axial from the dash unit as most of us have
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter81 View Post
I had the same inquiry last year. the only thing to be wary of with a splitter is exactly the question you are asking....If you over-load it, it can over-heat and can create a flame. if you are doing what we contimplated, the splitter will be behind the TV concealed by the closet panelling. I too want the confidence that splitting the TV to plug in a DVD player is going to be safe. I have never gotten this assurrance (though nobody has explicitly said "Don't do it" either.

I am leaning towards a combo TV/DVD/Blueray that operates on a 12V....More expensive but less risk.

I guess you are correct about the flame hazard...I never thought of that before but I'm glad you brought that to my attention. But anyways, when I had my previous motorhome before I bought my Sunseeker, I used an Insignia 32inch 12V tv with a DVD player built in for around $200 and it worked great.
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

I have a Sony BDP-BX320 that has a 120 volt adapter that changes it to 12 volt. According to the spec sheet it draws just under 10 watts with the adapter. I also have a Vizio E-Series E241i-A1 24-Inch that draws 26 watts. Those together are about 3 amps.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #8

Have the Sony also AND put a 12 volt plug on it and did away with the converter and works fine just use y cable
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Well, currently we are using a Furrioun 12V TV/DVD combo because it was mobile rated. You can't just buy any TV/DVD combo because the DVD does't last long with the vibration.

We were using sky worth for a while (which was Marine based) but I think they kept running us short. So we're now using the Furrion. I met with the owner of the company this week and took at look at their engineering and testing facility. Pretty cools stuff coming from them that is geared towards RV's.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

I did the same thing as DMezz did to power a 120VAC media player up. Put a dc splitter on and never have had any problem. the converter also has a few usb ports on for charging cell phone etc. its a slick setup for viewing all your media formats while drawing little power when boon docking. I use one in the outdoor kitchen also as the Jensen tvs don't play many digital formats. I have a posting on here somewhere that outlines what I use for all.
RON
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #11

BC, The furrion tv the dealer replaced the skyworth tv in the bedroom of my 2860DS looks identical to the skyworth, same mounting, same looking dvd player, inputs/outputs etc. doesn't seem to play all the same media as the skyworth did though and the dvd player is very low, noisy and sluggish. remote is different, don't know if the skyworth remote would work or not.
Ron
Old 08-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Class C Representative

You will need to use the Furrion remote for the Furrion TV.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Just tried it and it won't.
Tv sure looks the same though
Old 08-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #14
Class C Representative

You should use the remote that is for your TV. If you have a skyworth use the skyworth remote.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 08-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #15

I don't think you understand my post
Old 08-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #16
Class C Representative

No, I don't think I am.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, currently we are using a Furrioun 12V TV/DVD combo because it was mobile rated. You can't just buy any TV/DVD combo because the DVD does't last long with the vibration.

We were using sky worth for a while (which was Marine based) but I think they kept running us short. So we're now using the Furrion. I met with the owner of the company this week and took at look at their engineering and testing facility. Pretty cools stuff coming from them that is geared towards RV's.
We have the Skyworth in our 2015 3170DS, Works great. We have had issues with the bracing behind the TV latch. It tends to "roll" not allowing the latch to catch and thus the tv swings open during transit. Also the hinges on the panel are weak. Needs a piano hinge and better bracing behind the latch.
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #18

Josh I just commented that the two tvs were very similar as is the firmware so thought maybe the skyworth remote MIGHT work. I then tried my skyworth remote and commented it did not work. It isn't unheard of in the industry. Matter of fact I found the skyworth remote worked for several different models of tvs when I was waiting on getting mine that I didn't get when I bought the coach. my intent was try it you haven't got anything to lose.
The 22" furrion tv isn't even listed on the furrion website. I could not find any universal remote codes or aftermarket universal remotes that would work for the 22". nor could I find a PDF of the owners manual on the furrion website or www. If you have any of that information I'm sure I would appreciate it as I'm sure other members of the community would also.
Just trying to help!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
Class C Representative

I get it now. 👍
Old 08-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #20

I do apologize though I was on some different FR forums about people couldn't find universal remotes or codes to work on the larger furrions. I think my posts on here was in response to those posts and I somehow posted my response to those on here. I was jumping around trying to find info on the 22" bedroom Furrion with built in DVD player with no luck on a PDF of owners manual for FEFD22A0A on the Furrion website. It must be a new model or they just haven't updated their site or... I just couldn't find it... Anyway sorry for the confusion...
Ron

Tags
3170, bed, dvd, roo