Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #1

2005 DS coach leak help

Hello,
I am the proud owner of a 2006 dual slide Sunseeker. My wife and I love RVing. We purchased it as a used rental in 2007 and in general feel we have a good unit. However, in the spring of 2008 we had a CB installed by Camping World (they did a great job) but they mentioned they found the floor was wet behind the front drivers seat when they routed the CB wiring. We then noticed that the decorative trim panel between the couch and the front seat was wet and that the wetness was coming up from the bottom - more or less wicking moisture up from the floor.
We took the unit in to the purchasing dealer and they caulked around the windows and ordered and installed a new trim panel from FR. All was good through 2008 but now this year in October I noticed the problem is back!
In late 2008 I caulked quite a bit but didn't do anything this year. I have no idea where the water is coming in. The coach has been parked for almost 2 months and the problem started while it was parked. We had the slides open most of the time. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this particular leak?
Thanks,
Chris
parisec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #2

I feel your pain, unfortunately water leaks are really hard to diagnose on a forum like this, it really requires the hands on approach. If you are lucky there may be somone here with the exact same rig that can help. I wouldn't suspect the windows though and I suspect that having those re caulked probably did no good. I would suspect slide seals first if it is in the area near a slide. Wicking doesn't make the situation any easier to find either. Best thing you could probably do is spend a day in it, out in the rain and see if you can find the leak. Car dealers put leaking cars under a big sprinkler that showers water on it and someone sits in the car to watch for water leaks. Good luck, hope you find the source.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We had a water problem with our back slide next to the bed. The dealership notice that the weep holes on the body below the frame opening of the slide were partially blocked. This allowed the water to trickle in and got the carpet wet next to the wall. They enlarged the holes and the water problems went a way. I just got back from 4 days of wonderful camping in the rain. I am the RAYNMKR you know, but it's still dry after more than two years.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. The weep hole idea deserves some looking into. I'll do that soon and let you know what I find - can't hurt! I also agree the caulking didn't do any good in this situation.
We are eyeing a move to a Class A and I see you are both Class A owners. We would like a bit more room and a move up to a 50 AMP service and a second AC. We looked at a couple of Super C's but they seem quite expensive. We an EPDM rubber roof and I'd like to move up to a solid surface roof for longevity, reducing streaks. We have phenomenal storage space in our Class C but I believe we are running over the recommended weight - my wife likes to bring everything with us and I mean everything. We are completing our 3rd season RVing and we've learned a lot about what we like and might want. I might also add that our coach is in better shape today than we bought it. New front tires, new coach battter, CB professionally installed, fresh trans fluid, a couple of timely oil changes under its belt, etc. I like to do things myself. I am a Harley owner and employee and do all the regular maintenance myself. My only problem now is that I don't have enough time to do it all! Retirement is getting close but not close enough!
How do you like your Georgetown TS - thats a triple slide right? I can't make out the other unit - I'd like to hear about all your trials, tribulations with your units (if you have time).
Regards,
Chris
parisec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #5

parisec,

We have had our Georgetown for a year now and love it. Ours is the 378ts, yes the "ts" stands for tripple slide. For us the floorplan is one of the most intelligent on the market and only a few manufactureres have used it in the past. With the two large front slides moving away from each other it gives us a very large living room complete with entertainment center, fireplace and a big screen TV that rivals the room in many 5ers.

Having owned a Fleetwood Class A and having had experience with Winnebago RVs in the past I have to say the quality is every bit as good as the Winnebago and better than the Fleetwood. We have had no problems yet with the slides or construction of the coach itself other than the front end alignment.

For the money, FR just gives you much more in their Class A rigs than the others.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisec View Post
Hello,
I am the proud owner of a 2006 dual slide Sunseeker. My wife and I love RVing. We purchased it as a used rental in 2007 and in general feel we have a good unit. However, in the spring of 2008 we had a CB installed by Camping World (they did a great job) but they mentioned they found the floor was wet behind the front drivers seat when they routed the CB wiring. We then noticed that the decorative trim panel between the couch and the front seat was wet and that the wetness was coming up from the bottom - more or less wicking moisture up from the floor.
We took the unit in to the purchasing dealer and they caulked around the windows and ordered and installed a new trim panel from FR. All was good through 2008 but now this year in October I noticed the problem is back!
In late 2008 I caulked quite a bit but didn't do anything this year. I have no idea where the water is coming in. The coach has been parked for almost 2 months and the problem started while it was parked. We had the slides open most of the time. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this particular leak?
Thanks,
Chris
I have had a simliar experience with my rig. Which model do you have? Mine is a 2860. What I found was the water would get in a little through the bottom of the slide, through the seal. Look under the couch and make sure your seal is sealed correctly when the slide is out. Sometimes the seal won't pop out completely when the slide is out. You don't get moisture when the slide is in do you?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #7

Sunseeker leaks

We purchased our 2860 new in 2005. We now have 40K plus miles and like it quite well. When we bought it we had the dealer take out the carpet and install linoleum. To do this they had to remove the front slide. A couple of years or so later we started noticing leaks around the bottom. We had an RV repair person look at it and he said that the dealer had not installed the slide correctly. He fixed all the leaks except one tiny one at the bottom front. We have not been able to fix this and are out of the repair person's area. Another repairman said that he would pressurize the interior and could then find leaks. Has anyone had experience with pressurizing? It's not sealed like an aircraft so I don't think it could hold any pressure. Someone also mentioned weeping holes or something that were too small? What are those?
Thanks,
Fairfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker le