Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

2007 Sunseeker Antenna

I am thinking about getting a 2007 Sunseeker. Does anyone know if the stock antenna is digital or would it still have been the older analog system.
mwmovr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Most likely it would be analog in 2007 assuming it's original. I believe the switchover from analog to digital was occurring in 2008-2009.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

Do you mean TV antenna? If so it will still work, assuming it has newer Tv's connected to it with the digital tuner.

Technically speaking all radio waves are analog, that hasn't changed. Its the devices on each end (transmit and receive) and how they interpret the wave length slopes and spikes. The frequency range that this is all happening in did change a bit. The lower UHF range is pretty much gone and now only the VHF range is used. Newer "digital" antennas are optimized for only the VHF range, but older ones will still work.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

With all due respect to Funfinder5's post, it's not the lower UHF channels that aren't used as much with the digital transition, it's the lower VHF channels, notably RF channels 2 thru 6, although some still are used such as WRGB ch. 6 in Albany, NY. The upper VHF range is also still used in many areas (RF channels 7 thru 13). So, VHF still does exist.

The UHF range (rf channels 14 thru 59) is used by approximately 80% of US TV broadcast stations now after the digital transition. Winegard came out with the UHF add on for their traditional batwing (VHF) antenna as more stations migrated to the UHF range after the transition. UHF always existed, it's just more stations have migrated to UHF after the digital transition. If the antenna on the unit you're looking at doesn't have the short 6 element add on to the original batwing which was designed primarily for VHF, but still worked to some degree on UHF, it can easily and cheaply be added. The add on will improve UHF channel reception while not compromising VHF performance which still is found in some areas of the country. There are still many RVers that use the batwing in it's original configuration and receive UHF channels.

Funfinder5 was correct though, there technically is no "digital" antenna.

VHF = Very High Frequency
VHF Lo = RF channels 2 thru 6
VHF Hi = RF channels 7 thru 13
UHF = Ultra High Frequency - RF channels 14 thru 59 (used to be 83, then 69, but now 59)

The higher the channel (frequency) the shorter the wavelength thus shorter elements on the antenna. The UHF wavelengths are shorter than VHF, thus the shorter element add on that Winegard came out with.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
Site Team

Funfinder5 was correct though, there technically is no "digital" antenna.

this is correct.

we have a 2007 FR product, with the Wineguard crankup antenna.
we get great tv reception, simply by using a modern digital tv. no need for any special antenna.

IMHO, digital antennas are a scam on the uninformed.
i got great HD reception for my dad, by using a rabbit ears antenna.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

Mine is a 2007. 2 new tv sets. All works like a charm with original eguipment
Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #7

As the 2 posters above said, the original Winegard batwing antenna that is on countless RVs will work as is on UHF channels (where most tv broadcasters now reside), but the addition of the new add on made by Winegard (it only takes minutes to add to the existing antenna) will give a little increase in gain and directivity. It's reasonable too, less than $30 the last time I knew.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

My memory always mixes up UHF and VHF. Getting older I guess.😒
Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #9

Thankas

Thanks to all. I appreciate the input.
mwmovr40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, sunseeker