Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

2010 sunseeker 3170DS

New advice.

Looking to purchase a 2010 sunseeker 3170DS. I am new to campers and class Cs. I am mechanically incline, but I dont have alot of camper experience. The 3170 we are looking at has the floor replaced. It's a reputable dealer. They stated the previous owner put it in. I check the areas around the slide out and the rest of floor and walls, saw no signs of water damage. It has zero musty odor or mildew smell. The floor is not laminate it looks like actual hardwood flooring. I can see the ends of it by the front seats. Looks like its 1/4 inch or 3/8 so thick.

Only area that was questionable was once you walk up into the main area I felt a little flex in the middle of the floor about a foot and half from steps. Is this normal flex?
Is there a way to look underneath or through another compartment to see if the subfloor is rotted. I just dont want to spend alot on a lemon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Campingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #2

If its built like ours. The flooring is on top of the chassis frame so from underneath you may see something.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #3

I'm going back tommorrow, hopefully I can tell if it's a water damaged mess
Campingdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #4

No comments on the floor except mine is solid. If I were to remove the existing vinyl flooring cover, I would use a thin sticky back vinyl, not hardwood. The new flooring could have expanded a bit and bucked up sitting on the lot causing the area to feel soft. The edges are supposed to be 1/4-1/2" from the wall to allow for expansion with base board trim to cover the area. If the flooring is tight to the wall and everything looked good from underneath, I would lean toward a bucking problem with the replaced floor.
If it still has the original jackknife sofa, the bottom front section will just lift up and off allowing you to look under the slide box. That may tell you something I doubt they would have removed the slide to run the flooring.

Another note:
Cargo carrying capacity or CCC. These large C's do not have much. On my 2014 3170 E450 the CCC is 1492lbs per the door sticker. Sounds like a lot but does not include People, pets, water. You can overload it quickly. They have a lot more storage than CCC. If true hardwood was used, this will most certainly add weight and cut down on your CCC.
Ask the dealer two things, take it to a cat scale and ask for a sealtech test to look for potential leaks, especially the roof, front cap and slide seams.

Hope my ramblings help a bit.

There is a lot of upgrades and repair information on this Sunseeker forum. Welcome and enjoy your Sunseeker and if you have any questions, just ask.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, sunseeker