Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

2011 3170DS with dry-rot cracked tires

I just pulled our 2011 3170DS unit out of winter storage and noticed the rear wheels are severly cracked with dry-rot on the sidewalls. I even notice some cracking under the tread line.

I started by checking the date code = 2603. Built week 26 of 2003??? is that possible for a 2011 model? The front tires are 2210 which make sense and they look great.

Can the Forest river techs help me, What are my options? Should I contact my dealer? We bought the unit last year, it was used 1 year when we bought it from RVOne-Albany RV. I should have noticed this last year when we bought it. Would any of this be covered under a warranty, I realize there are so many tire issues out there.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
GM

If you bought it used, then it will not be covered under warranty. That stinks. From the factory, we do not put tires on, we just use the Ford factory Michelins.

Sounds like the previous owner could have had a blow out and replaced them with a used and/or cheap (out of date) tire from a "not very reputable" store. Dealer could have missed it too...most people are not looking at the dates (as they should).

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that response.

Just FYI - All 4 tires on the rear have the 2003 date code, so its not likely they previous owner had a blowout. I'm pretty sure these were the tires that came with the model. I only have 9000 miles on it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
GM

That would mean Ford put 2003 tires on a 2010 chassis and I don't see that happening. Sounds like some funny business. All Michelins a I assume?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Sounds like someone switched tires on you. Have you asked your dealer why there are 2003 tires on it?
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

I was going to call the dealer next and see what they say. yes, I believe they are all Michelins. I am not home right now to check.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
I just pulled our 2011 3170DS unit out of winter storage and noticed the rear wheels are severly cracked with dry-rot on the sidewalls. I even notice some cracking under the tread line.

I started by checking the date code = 2603. Built week 26 of 2003??? is that possible for a 2011 model? The front tires are 2210 which make sense and they look great.

Can the Forest river techs help me, What are my options? Should I contact my dealer? We bought the unit last year, it was used 1 year when we bought it from RVOne-Albany RV. I should have noticed this last year when we bought it. Would any of this be covered under a warranty, I realize there are so many tire issues out there.

Thanks in advance

Are you sure you are reading the tire build date code. I have a 2012 and all the tires have a 2603 code on them but I don't think that's the build date. The date code is on the other side in larger numbers, in my case 2311 on the two I checked. On my RV the front tires have the date code facing out but the rears can only be seen by looking between the duals.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #8

I'll check today, thanks. It sounds like I may have a similar situation then with the date codes printed on these Michelins.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #9

If the date codes check out you still haven't figured out why only the rear tires have deteriorated. Whenever you buy used and don't speak with the original owner you have no idea of its' history. Is it both inside and outside duals? Sun light and ozone levels are the two typical things that cause rapid tire deterioration. I have seen drastically different tire performance even on garaged vehicles and have tires that are 25+ years old on some old cars with no cracks and some only 2 years old that are showing signs. On any vehicle not garaged I highly recommend the tires be bagged or covered. I use 55 gallon garbage bags which pull over nicely and are cheap whenever I keep anything outside even for short periods.