Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

2013 3910DS ? Generator ?

Okay one more big question for everyone out there getting ready to take a very long trip with 3 kids.
My kids are a little bit older now and we want to utilize truck stops to sleep at night and or Walmart's.
My question is this my kids sleep on the convertible couch in which the slide has to be out in order to convert it their head is basically right above the generator.
I just don't feel safe running the generator with the slide out while everyone sleeping.
I've heard of the exhaust extensions leading up but that doesn't make sense cuz I feel it's going to be sucked into the air conditioner.
Anybody with any advice or do you think it's sealed enough and I'm totally protected and it's safe.
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #2

The A/C recirculates air within the coach. It takes no air from the roof. On the roof, a separate fan blows air across the coils. It's just like a residential window air conditioner.

As for exhaust fumes coming into the coach, they could enter around some slide gaskets. On our Sunseeker 3100 the slide is over the generator. I have never run a generator while sleeping. If it's hot enough to need A/C overnight we get an electric hookup site. Hopefully others will comment on their experiences.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply I imagine I'll just buy the exhaust extension running up and out of Harm's Way to keep my family safe I do plan on running the generator while we sleep but want to play it safe for sure
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #4

Using Walmart's with the slide out?

I hope you would reconsider on how that looks and the results it will surely bring.

On the safety issue I am not sure and would differently check with F/R, as your concerns are valid.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #5
Sunseeker 2400MBW

2013 3910DS ? Generator ?

"Using Walmart's with the slide out?

I hope you would reconsider on how that looks and the results it will surely bring."

Is there something wrong with a Walmart lots and slide out combo that you know about? I am new to all this and just wondering.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitejunky1 View Post
Okay one more big question for everyone out there getting ready to take a very long trip with 3 kids.
My kids are a little bit older now and we want to utilize truck stops to sleep at night and or Walmart's.
My question is this my kids sleep on the convertible couch in which the slide has to be out in order to convert it their head is basically right above the generator.
I just don't feel safe running the generator with the slide out while everyone sleeping.
I've heard of the exhaust extensions leading up but that doesn't make sense cuz I feel it's going to be sucked into the air conditioner.
Anybody with any advice or do you think it's sealed enough and I'm totally protected and it's safe.
If the slide is above the generator, I'm guess that the exhaust is routed to the opposite side. Not suggesting what you should do, but I would not be worried about it. Test your CO detector.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #7

I have a 2011 3170 sunseeker and 95% of our camping is in places where we do not have power so we run our generator a lot currently have over 1750 hours on it. imo buy a genturi exhaust extension and get the exhaust up and away from the motor home. I was cleaning and organizing my storage area and forgot to load my exhaust extension once and the wind was out of the wrong direction and had to shut it down for the weekend due to exhaust fumes in the motor home.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

2016 3010DS generator

I recently discovered that my generator tail pipe was loose where it clamps onto the muffler. It had been sounding a bit loud from the day we got it. I tightened that up and quieted it down a lot. There is a metal shield right in the way of the clamp and it looked like at the factory they maybe didn't mess with it enough to get the pipe down securely before clamping. Since this would also be a bad place for an exhaust leak, I would check that.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #9

I asked about the generator once and like many other things I got mixed responses. Some run it some don't. But my brother has a class C and let his run in the driveway only to come out and find the CO alarm going off. So I will never sleep or take a nap with the generator running.

Tags
2013, generator