Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

2013 SiriusXM question

Just got a 3170DS yesterday - got it late and basically just parked it - snuck off a little early from work today to start digging through manuals and checking everything out. Everything seems great so far.

So, in preparation for a long trip I want to add the SiriusXM tuner - I ordered it from Amazon, should work just fine, but I have one question.

On my unit I see a SiriusXM antenna on the driver's side - and in the manual packaging was Ford's 6 months of free SiriusXM flyer for the E series. Got me wondering where that antenna wire is - does it come out behind the Magnadyne M4-LCD? I know the 6 months won't work because it isn't a Ford head unit, I totally understand the way to yank the head unit out and get behind, but before I start routing cables I was hoping beyond hope that the antenna in there will work and I just snap in the tuner.

Of course, Ford uses actual Sirius equipment and not XM and I think the M4-LCD tuner is XM, so the antennas probably won't crossover, but thought I would ask first.
dklane012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Commercial Member

That antenna is the GPS antenna, not the sirius antenna.

If you get a sirius antenna you also need the antenna.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

Watch where antenna is placed. Improper location may cause intermittent reception.
Been there, done that and don't want another tee shirt
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

I routed the antenna under dash to left door and out the door frame. Under the hood as fas forward as it would go and placed
Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

Sorry...hit send by accident. I routed the antenna under dash to left door and out the door frame. Under the hood as far forward as it would go and placed it on the top edge of fender. Then I got a bottle of touch up paint and painted it to match can. You can hardly see it. It works well except if you are facing due North, the cab over blocks the signal some.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #6

I routed my antennae wire across the dash, down under the drivers side footwell, up behind the seat and out the top corner of the slide where there is a gap in the seal to the edge of the coach roof. Only about 6" of wire is exposed. Don't forget to put a little "U" shaped loop so rain water doesn't follow the wire and cause a leak into the coach. The antennae is then totally unobstructed from all angles.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

Ahh - GPS Antenna - yes, duh!

OK - thanks for all the tips! I'll try out your suggestion, ATVer - sounds like an excellent location!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
MKM

I tried numerous locations including on the dash, side mirror and front bumper with none of those providing great results. I've heard some folks have had good results in the upper bunk area. I just had my Magnadyne removed and put a Kenwood system in. The installer, whose facility is right next to a Camping World and has done numerous RV's, put a low profile marine antenna on the roof above the TV area. We were getting excellent reception in their enclosed facility.
MKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #9

Got everything hooked up without issue - radio plays, activated, all working well.

Didn't have time to setup the permanent mount location, but will probably end up routing to the top.

Thanks for the help everyone!!