Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #21

I would caution against using the term "safety Ratchet" Maybe it is on newer units, but on mine there is nothing safe about that clicking sound you hear. I rebuilt both of my slides because the previous owner would let it click twice on the way out and on the way in. That's not a safety device, it is 2 gears jumping and ruining the teeth. I never let mine click any more. When I get close I just tap a button a couple times and it prevents any clicking.

But to your original post, my slides are adjusted properly and they do stick out more at the bottom then the top when they are out.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #22

Thanks Motocross camper. I was told to run the slide in or out until the mechanism "ratchets". I wouldn't call them safety ratchets, just a gear saving portion of the motor. Hopefully it's not the gears jumping!!
kittyskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #23

I was told likewise.
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Plain Old Member

I've never had problems with a little ratcheting. Done it on all of ours a little with no problems for the last 10 years, and they get used a LOT. I was always told it was more of a slip clutch, but I haven't taken one apart either, so who knows. Maybe I'll call lippert and find out. Not doubting anybody's feedback as I don't know for sure. Not impossible, but very hard to not let them ratchet a tad sometimes. Why would a system be designed to strip gears from the get go? Seems like you'd have a prox sensor to prevent that if the ratcheting would knowingly damage it. On our present mh, I don't have to as I can stop by motor sound then bump it once to make it snug without the ratcheting.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #25

I don't have a picture saved from the gear on the living room slide but I do have the picture of the sheared off key from the bedroom slide. When it ratchets that little half moon key takes most of the abuse. After I got them back together I had my wife run it out while I watched it and that was enough evidence for me that I won't let them do it any more. I fixed them myself because the RV shop told me 1600 a piece to fix them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1663190680.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	34133
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #26

Same problem here

Kitty,

I have a 2014 2860DS and my slides do the same thing. Is is especially noticeable on the bedroom slide bec ause of the small windows. I took it to the dealer and they adjusted the tension on the awning over the slide but it still goes out further on the bottom than it does on the top. I, as well, was told by the dealer that this is normal.
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #27

Thanks Dstankov, it seems it is normal just looks odd. Hopefully the leaks are fixed on the front slide.
kittyskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote