Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
2013 Sunseeker 3170DS FD

Exclamation 2013 Sunseeker 3170 DS Rear Lights Out!! WTF?

We purchased the unit from Tom Raper RV in Richmond. We've only used it a total of 3 times over the course of the summer and we keep it in their open air storage lot. The unit has about 1300 miles on it.

I went to retrieve our motor home this past Friday evening, and discovered that all 4 tail lights were out (brake and turn signal). I don't know why Raper's didn't check when they pulled it out of storage. The front set of lights work fine. We proceeded to make our way to the campground because of paid reservations and the wife ran behind me in our van for the short trip.

I checked the fuse and it was fine. I pulled the fuse and all signal function was out, so it wasn't the fuse. The front lights and turn signals work. The running lights all work with the headlights on, it is just the rear tail lights that are an issue. Both the brake and signal lights are out.
The mechanic on duty Monday morning told me they just pulled another new Sunseeker off the road that had the exact same problem. He is stating that the Sunseeker model apparently has a seal issue with the lights and when it rains heavily, they are somehow getting wet and failing.
Does this sound legitimate or am I being scammed? Has anyone else become aware of this problem? Does Forest River have an engineering issue? Thanks for any response, advice, or help.
UPDATE: I spoke with Tom Rapers (Richmond) service dept. All the bulbs were blown/bad for a charge of $25.00 Does this sound right or is there a cable to easily detach rear lights? I'm waiting to see if this is a seal and rain issue or if something else may have caused the bulbs to go. 1300 miles seems awfully soon to start blowing bulbs. If it is seals it should be under warranty I would think.
Swing Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

Check the seals and caulking around the tail lights. I have seen posts about missing caulking around the lights as well as other places on this forum.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

I had a bulb blow recently too. I don't think it is moisture. Just cheap bulbs made in china.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Bulbs. Bad ground. Fuse. Broken/pinched wire. Doubtful if all bulbs took a dump at same time and you said you checked fuse. I bet you have a mess of wires under your rear bed...go figure.

Shouldn't be hard to see if there is a moisture problem at the bulbs. Pull them and give them a little dielectric grease after cleaning the socket and bulb base.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
2013 Sunseeker 3170DS FD

Update...

Well the dealer replaced the bulbs and they were all bad. After some discussion, they decided not to issue a charge or human error resulted in a no charge to me. If not, $26 would have been gone.

I then looked at the rear housing of the lights on my Sunseeker, one in the staging area, and two in their back lot service area and every Sunseeker no matter the model has the housing mounted upside down. The name on the housing and the c in the circle copyright mark are on the plastic housing, but on each RV the name is upside down making me think the plastic housing with the lights was mounted upside down at the factory. I don't know if that would have anything to do with the seals. I did check the seal on mine, and I saw a small space between the rear of the RV and the black housing on the rear driver side. I don't know if this seal issue took place over the past 3 months after our purchase or after Tom Raper mechanics examined the lights. The other one looked sealed up just fine. I asked to have the mechanic call me back to get his opinion and he never called. Nice service...

I will definitely need to seal the lights in the back. That is sad considering the unit only has 1300 miles on it and is brand new.

Thanks for any help or advice..
Swing Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

I also noticed that the rear light housings on Forest River products that I've checked have them installed upside down. I just assumed it was a factory worker that wanted to have his "signature" on the units he's assembled.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #7

Mine are the same. Looks to me if you installed them "Right side up" based on the lettering you would have the backup lights at the top. I think they are being installed aesthetically and functionally correct.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #8

One of my taillights blew at around 1500 miles. When I pulled it out it was milky white with a definite crack in the bulb itself. I'm also having the lights across the front of the cab go out. I've not yet climbed up there to see if its the bulbs or something else.
"On the Road" since 8/8/12
Every Day's a New Adventure!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

I also had 2 of my bulbs blow on my very first trip out. They were covered under the warranty. I had another one blow later, but just a four pack of bulbs and put them in the glove box. I wasn't going to spend 20 bucks in gas to go back to the dealer. I now check the tail lights before driving anywhere. I think they are just cheap bulbs, as the replacement ones have been fine.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #10

Thanks for this post! We just bought a 2011 Sunseeker 3010 and after reading this, I decided that it might be a good idea to check the lights. Sure enough, one of the brake lights was out.

I know that you are supposed to check lights often, but I was thinking...this rig only has 3700 miles and is practically new. I will check every trip from now on.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags