Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
2014 Sunseeker Install of after market holding tank heating pads

My 3010DS did not have the Arctic Pack, so what recommendations or concerns should I consider before installing after market heating pads for my 3 holding tanks?

black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
We ordered the Arctic Pack with our Sunseeker 3100 and I've never used the heating pads. The furnace keeps the tanks nice and warm. There's a small flexible duct going to the utility compartment (sewer connections and shore line) and the compartment with the water filter and pump. We dry camped in the open at 19 F with a 20 mph wind. The next morning I checked the two compartments and they were about 50 F.

If you are camping where it will be colder than that or it will be below freezing for many nights heating pads are probably a good idea. Remember that the more water that's in your tanks the less likely they are to freeze. If you have sewer hookup fill them about half full and dump more often.

Of course, if don't use the furnace, or you set the temperature really low and keep warm with blankets, you won't be getting as much heat to the compartments and tanks. I have to keep the coach warm because I'd be in serious trouble if my dearly beloved's little dog got cold! Using up propane and running down the batteries are minor problems by comparison.

PS Check the location of your fresh water thank. In our 3100 it is elevated (above the grey tank I think) and there's no heating pad on it. The black and grey tanks are low and closer to the underbody seal sheet so they can get colder.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Great advice. I was not aware of the ducting. I will look for them. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
The fresh water tank is typically inside the coach (I believe this is so with all FR floorplans) so there should be no concern for keeping the fresh water tank heated.

I too had a similar low temperature camping experience - down into the teens for several nights. We had full hookups but I kept the tank valves closed until they needed dumping. I never had a problem with the tanks freezing. I had more issues with the water water hose and the sewer hose. I had the water hose heat traced and insulated but the metal parts were no match for the cold temps and would be the first area to freeze. The sewer hose issue was to make certain the entire hose is drained after every dump. I had a frozen slug where the hose slinked down and water gathered and froze solid.

Keep in mind that the tanks are usually getting fresh supply of waste water so that in itself helps prevent freezing.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Thanks very much. That is the advice I am looking for.

2014, heating, sunseeker, tank