Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

2014 Sunseeker slide-out motor/clutch issue

We have a 4 month old Sunseeker 2690 - it's our first RV and we love it! It's have been a couple weeks we started having problems with the slide out.

Mainly when pushing the button to slide out (or in), we hear the motor working but nothing happens, suddenly the traction comes back and the slide-out starts working again. We removed the interior cover and we were able to confirm that when this issue happens the two gears (guiding the tracks on the pop-out) and the shaft controlling them are not stuck at all. So the issue seems to be in either the motor or the "clutch" (not sure if one exists) .

Another symptom of the problem is such that when the pop-out reaches the max (either in or out) we don't hear the "tuk tuk tuk" noise, instead the motor spins freely - again without any traction.

Any insight? could it be a defective clutch? If this is the case how to reach it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #2

4 months old? Contact dealer or FR for warranty service. Sounds like something needs adjusting.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

We got the RV from TT in Michigan (great dealer by the way...) but we currently live in Ottawa, ON. The local Forest River dealer (RV Canada www.rvcan.ca) is avoiding by any means to schedule a service apt... When I called earlier this week he asked if I bought the RV from them, when he knew that was not the case, he mentioned that I will be a "filler" job and he won't be able to see us before a few month "maybe by the end of the year". Not the kind of dealer I want to work with or even buy an RV from...

So I am trying to figure out what's the problem and if I can do the work, I'll request that FR covers the parts.

Currently I am suspecting the motor and gearbox, but don't know yet how to remove them (I know where it's located though).

The system I have is similar to this one:
http://www.lippertrepairparts.com/pd...0Slide-Web.pdf
Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #4

Call FR warranty department. I had a similar situation where local dealer wouldn't help me because I bought from RVDirect. FR has people who will do service who are not affiliated with a dealer and will treat you right for service.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

We just picked up our sunseeker 317 last week.Been experimenting with it figuring where things go and what they do. Haven't gone on any road trips yet. Hubby just noticed the bedroom slideout isn't closing all the way. Then he decided to try the kitchen/living room slide out. Now that isn't working. He just called the dealer and left his name and number so they can call back (hopefully on Monday)
Sandy
Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargeit2him View Post
We just picked up our sunseeker 317 last week.Been experimenting with it figuring where things go and what they do. Haven't gone on any road trips yet. Hubby just noticed the bedroom slideout isn't closing all the way. Then he decided to try the kitchen/living room slide out. Now that isn't working. He just called the dealer and left his name and number so they can call back (hopefully on Monday) Sandy
Today I decided to have a good look under the couch slide. Removing the bottom couch cover and lifting the rubber flap, I was amazed at the build trash. Items include nut, washer, loose trim molding, yes more than one piece, cut ends of caulking tubes. The recessed area around the motor was filled. I will need a smaller nozzle to remove the screws, small bits of wood etc. Getting my vacuum, I vacuum up more debris all of which could have jammed the mechanism and preventing the slide from operating. On your couch slide, have a look. May be an easy fix.
I have not quite figured out how to look under the bunk bed slide. Hope this helps.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Today I decided to have a good look under the couch slide. Removing the bottom couch cover and lifting the rubber flap, I was amazed at the build trash. Items include nut, washer, loose trim molding, yes more than one piece, cut ends of caulking tubes. The recessed area around the motor was filled. I will need a smaller nozzle to remove the screws, small bits of wood etc. Getting my vacuum, I vacuum up more debris all of which could have jammed the mechanism and preventing the slide from operating. On your couch slide, have a look. May be an easy fix.
I have not quite figured out how to look under the bunk bed slide. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Hubby said he looked and found a few things but nothing like what you mentioned. He will look again when it is light out tomorrow.
They did return his call. They don't have anyone to come out to look at it. They will try to figure something out Monday.

Sandy
Old 10-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #8

When you say no closing all the way, just how much. When we bought ours past march, the slide stuck out about an inch. After time it now sticks out about 1/4". I guess the seals needed time to compress. That was on both slides. I'll keep noodling.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
When you say no closing all the way, just how much. When we bought ours past march, the slide stuck out about an inch. After time it now sticks out about 1/4". I guess the seals needed time to compress. That was on both slides. I'll keep noodling.
The sofa slide just makes noise doesn't move. He was looking for the manual crank but can't seem to find it. Hopefully they will get back to us on MOnday

Sandy
Old 10-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

I was also amazed by the amount of trash under the slide out dinette! One bold getting stuck in the slide out gears is enough to break a tooth and create problems long term....

I am very interested to hear bclemens's (Forest River rep) feedback on this!!!!

In my case the clutch is dead, but it's good that the slide out is stuck all the way in! The service shop near by won't be able to see us before two weeks, I checked the gears in the motor/gearbox (accessible from the storage compartment underneath the slide out and everything seems ok. The next step is to remove the motor/gearbox from the differential (one bolt on each side accessible again from the storage compartment - but it's super tight). I will take some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
The sofa slide just makes noise doesn't move. He was looking for the manual crank but can't seem to find it. Hopefully they will get back to us on MOnday

Sandy
I think you will find the manual crank shaft in the ceiling of the outside storage compartment under the sllide. It's a square shaft about 3/4 inch in diameter.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

I think you will need to disconnect the coach batteries. Look in the manual for the procedure,
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
We just picked up our sunseeker 317 last week.Been experimenting with it figuring where things go and what they do. Haven't gone on any road trips yet. Hubby just noticed the bedroom slideout isn't closing all the way. Then he decided to try the kitchen/living room slide out. Now that isn't working. He just called the dealer and left his name and number so they can call back (hopefully on Monday)
Sandy
I have the Forester 3171 - same floor plan as your 3170.

Are the coach batteries fully charged?

If so, for the bunk/bedroom slide there are two Lippert motors synchronized at the ends. The slide control box for that slide is in the storage compartment outside - the one with the water filter. Look up and you will see the black box. It has diagnostic LED's inside the box. Use this video to help:

On the couch/kitchen slide, it is different. This one does have the manual crank-out as others have pointed out. The noise you mention could be the clutch meaning something might be binding. Might just try the manual operation.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #14

Don't remove the step-in plastic cover on the driver side door side if trash makes you squirmish. I removed it once to track down wind noise and the whole channel was FULL of wire debris, wire nuts, screws, gum wrapper, and paper backers...
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Don't remove the step-in plastic cover on the driver side door side if trash makes you squirmish. I removed it once to track down wind noise and the whole channel was FULL of wire debris, wire nuts, screws, gum wrapper, and paper backers...
Nice coincidence, that actually was the first job I did on the camper. I noticed that the wires passing in the door channel were all crushed by the plastic cover when going out behind the driver's seat. So I removed the cover and unfortunately I did share the same experience as you. I was mainly concerned by the wires and the fact that these did not have ANY kind of protection (no plastic tubing, nothing). So I did arrange all that and I even removed the cover on the passenger side - same problem.

It is unfortunate Forest River don't pay much attention to what is NOT visible!! They build nice RVs.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Have the slide looked at. If the motor is running but no clutch, it is probably the gear box not the motor. I have seen a couple of units where a shear pin broke in the gear box (not the motor). That is where I would have them look first. If that is the case, I'm not sure the manual retraction will work.

As for debris. This has been brought up before. I have passed that info on to the production QC people. We just need to add some of the nook & crannies to the QC sheet.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #17

just an update..They had to put in another motor. While it was there (haven't picked it up yet ) Someone didn't see the slide out and clipped it ! So they have to fix it. They called and wanted to let us know. So we are supposed to get it back sometime today.
Hopefully we will get to use it this weekend .

Sandy

Tags
slide, sunseeker, slide out