Old 05-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
2015 3010ds cannot turn on house A/C when using generated

This is our first long trip to Orlando with our 2015 3010ds.

We try to start up the generator for using house Air Conditioner during driving (we start it when we are in parking).

The problem is the generator will turn off after the A/C kick on for like 5min or less (we triied it many times same result). It seems like the A/C overload the generator since we only turned on the A/C after the generator started, and it works fine when hookup in Campgrounds

Anyone having similar problem? Since our unit come with the "15k BTU A/C with heat pump" would that be a factory settings issues in the intelligence charger causing the problem?

karcarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Can you run the Gen and just the a/c's fan on hi?

Just curious if it's a load issue or if the generator is just shutting itself off regardless of the load.

We have a 2015 3170ds with the same 15 btu a/c heat pump and have not experienced this type of issue.

Wish I could be more help.

6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Is your breaker on for your electric water heater?

We have the standard 13.5k BTU in our 2011 3170DS and although our genorator can run the water heater, AC, and fridge... It's at its max.

Make sure you turn off the breaker for the electric water heater and switch the fridge over to 'LP' only.
2011 Sunseeker 3170DS - 30,000 miles explored
funfinder5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Thanks for all your help.

I have return from my trip, and the generator still not working with the A/C, have send it to the dealer for service will update everyone after I found out what was the problem.

FYI, I have tried all your suggestions:

1 - (Full tank of gas) Turn fridge to LP, water pump off, water heater off .... That make the generator runs for like 15 Min and it still shutting itself off.

2- (Full tank of gas) Turn everything off and just running the Fan.... this time it last 20 to 30 Min but still no luck.

Based on spec 3010ds having a 4Kw generator, it should able to run the A/C (3.5Kw) plus a bit more.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Most likely the fuel pump. I had the same problem, It would start and run for a bit but when the load increased like turning on the air it would not stay running, Took it to Onan and they replaced the fuel pump, Said it was a very common problem, Works like a champ ever since.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
^^yep, sounds like that is your problem. A/C and HWH shou
D easily run on genny power.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
The genny should run everything that you run at the campground. Mine does. I have a 4k Onan in my 2014 3170DSF. on vacation and no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Finally we figure it out!!

It is a wiring problem from factory.

The dealer found out some wires installed too close to the generator and melt. It some how causing the generator keep stopping after running a short time.

Thanks everyone.