Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #1

2015 3010ds - thinking of some mods

We have had our unit for 3 months and are getting the kinks worked out while taking some short trips. Now it's time to do a few things to customize it to our needs. So......a few questions

1. Does anyone know what is behind the main tv above the kitchen counter? I want to replace the mount with one that swivels and got to thinking of hinging the wood behind the mount to use any wasted space perhaps for DVD storage etc.

2. Got some cyclone vents to replace the stock vent pipe caps. I was expecting to find two vent stacks on the roof but only have one. Is that right? I thought each tank would have a separate stack.

3. Does anyone know of a front license plate holder that is (for lack of a better term) "quick change"? Our girls got personalized plates and we swap them out on each trip. Would like something that I can leave permanently mounted and just drop the plate of choice in from the top.

4. What is the general consensus on the correct type and length of screw for mounting items on both interior and exterior walls? None of the items are over 10 pounds but I want them secured.

5. Lastly, has anyone installed a real hoist for the spare tire in place of the current chain up method? If so, what type? I already changed one flat and found that it was a pain to get the spare down and even worse to get it back up.

Thanks!
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1. nothing really. We have talked about putting a hinged door on there...but we tried to keep it shallower than regular kitchen cabinets. Still a possibility. I think if you search for OZ 3010...he has some pictures where we rewired that area and had the TV down.
2. Not if the plumbing is connected together.
3. no help there.
4. Exterior is only 1/8" fiberglass with Azdel underneath. Unless you hit an aluminum stud, then that gets tricky. An anchor style would be best. On the inside you're dealing with 3/16" lauan paneling. So a hollow core door anchor works well. You can also use a magnet to find galvanized steel backers that are located throughout the wall.
5. Yes. We have done some for a rental account a while back. And a search on this forum for spare tire hoist will also pull up other owners who have bought Ford spare hoists from Ebay, etc.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #3

Thanks very much! Very helpful information.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

2. Vents are tied together as per the design drawings. Seemed odd to me as my KZ toyhauler has two vents but it probably saves money and there is one less hole in the roof to leak.

5. I installed a spare tire hoist from an Econolline van. I also bought the Ford E450 jack, handle, and lug wrench. The jack handle fits right into the winch and is long enough to get past the rear bumper. Just crank it down or up. Much better than wrestling it from underneath. You usually can find them on Ebay. I got everything as new takeouts from box truck conversions for about $120.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
4. Exterior is only 1/8" fiberglass with Azdel underneath. Unless you hit an aluminum stud, then that gets tricky. An anchor style would be best. On the inside you're dealing with 3/16" lauan paneling. So a hollow core door anchor works well. You can also use a magnet to find galvanized steel backers that are located throughout the wall.
Do you know how wide and thick the aluminum studs are? I want to install a swiveling glass/metal shelf for my Dish receiver. I would prefer to install it a little to the left and below the shallow cabinet above the entry door. I think it would important to find a stud or backer to attach it to. I don't think anchors would handle the weight.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Commercial Member

varies. They are no less than 1.5" wide. Some areas that need more structure they can be 3", 4", etc. Tying something into the cabinets would be better. (so pocket screw something into the bottom of the overhead shelf and then screw into that if you're concerned about weight)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

I would have liked to have mounted my receiver under a cabinet, but because of its large footprint (16" x 12" and add a couple inches for cabling), It would stick out, which I don't want.
I'm trying to utilize the space over the cab since I won't be using it for sleeping. I haven't decided on the final plan yet, but the info on the studs will be useful. Thanks
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications