Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Originally Posted by kodiak ak View Post
Good call on the salted roads. I had not even thought about that. Maybe I will order this spring instead of in the fall. That way it wont travel salted roads and we will be able to do a few weekend trips this summer.

As for the paint I would think an reputable auto body shop would be able to color match the paint. I've even seen paint jobs that wear sun faded and weathered to match the original paint job.

Will N.
Matching the paint is difficult due to the fact that you could be matching 3 or 4 clolors as well as the graphics pattern. Possibly FR could supply the templates used for the patterns. Other wise someone would have to freelance the patterns. Something that a normal paint shop may not be able to do. You would need to use a custom hot rod shop but they may not have a booth big enough to do an RV. Not something to worry about as it would be the insurance company's problem.

ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
They ship touch-up paints with the coach and have a label inside with the details on the paint. I would think most paint shops could fix paint issues. In fact when the orientation walk-through with our unit I pointed out a few things and mentioned that paint touch-up would present a problem. The technician stated that paint work is not a problem for them - they repair paint work all the time. Giving that the majority of the units that they sell are full body paint - I believed him.
I guess it is like the interior cabinet work. You have the real wood raised panel type and the laminate type with the laminate being more durable than the real wood but I really like the real wood. I like the full body paint more than the unpainted I just wish I could have an invisible shell around it. There always seems to be something ready to reach out and scratch it. In our subdivision the main street is lined with various trees. I have to ride the curb to miss the reach so as not to hit the slide topper or scratch the paint.
Point is the paint is a very nice option but does have some trade-offs.

bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
Plain Old Member
We liked and disliked the full paint. We were one of those posts mentioning paint not matching. They replaced our main door on the previous Forester at FR service and it was sent back to the paint shop 3 times that week trying to get it right. This was at one of the many local paint shops that paints them for FR. It looked worse than the original door. You see varying quality paint jobs from unit to unit as they are subbed to several different shops in the area once off the assembly line. Another thing I don't like about the paint is routine sealing. You almost have to use clear and be very tedious with it to make it look good. A white RV may not look as fancy, but it's just so much more forgiving with some things. White also does not attract the heat like the darker paint can. Was terrible on our mostly black Tiffin. I still love a painted rig, but will never own another. Just our personal experience and opinion. I'd spend my money on a shed / shop as mentioned earlier.

John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote