Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

2015 year models?

Hi!

New to this forum and Sunseeker. I have had travel trailers but will be moving to a class c 3010ds this fall. Does any one know what the release dates for the 2015 year models will be? Any expected changes to the 3010?
Thanks
Will N.
kodiak ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!!
You usually see the first of new model year arriving at dealers by May. Not sure if it's that soon in AK. Also with RVs, running changes are made throughout the build year so changes tied to a model year change are not normally significant. For example if a change to a different brand refrigerator is planned it will occur when the inventory stock is used up not necessarily with a new model year.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

Check the dates on the class C and the model. My 2014 RV is a 2013 Ford E450.
DrJMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJMB View Post
Check the dates on the class C and the model. My 2014 RV is a 2013 Ford E450.

That's pretty typical as model years RVs change in April but trucks are more like September. Also the RV manufacturers buy the chassis in groups so there can be a backlog of them on their lots awaiting conversion to an RV. My 2012 built in November 2011 has a 2011 Ford chassis built in June 2011.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, but keep it coming.

I use to live in Alaska but now live in Elizabeth city North Carolina. I've been to my local dealer (about an hour away) several times to check out the 3010. We have looked at several class "C" rv's and really like the 3010. We are looking at ordering one in November and just wondering if we will be ordering a 2014 or 2015.

My wife and I agree on all the options that we want except for one. I want full body paint. She thinks its a waste of 5K. We are nearing retirement and we plan to have the 3010 around for quiet some time. My last travail trailer had the stickers fading and pealing after 4 years. I thank the full paint will be easier to maintain. Anyone have any problems with fade or pealing of the stickers on their Sunseeker after a few years? Any opinions on paint vs stickers?

Will N.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

[QUOTE=kodiak ak;529874]Thanks for the info, but keep it coming.

I use to live in Alaska but now live in Elizabeth city North Carolina. I've been to my local dealer (about an hour away) several times to check out the 3010. We have looked at several class "C" rv's and really like the 3010. We are looking at ordering one in November and just wondering if we will be ordering a 2014 or 2015.

My wife and I agree on all the options that we want except for one. I want full body paint. She thinks its a waste of 5K. We are nearing retirement and we plan to have the 3010 around for quiet some time. My last travail trailer had the stickers fading and pealing after 4 years. I thank the full paint will be easier to maintain. Anyone have any problems with fade or pealing of the stickers on their Sunseeker after a few years? Any opinions on paint vs stickers?

I have the full body paint, love it, and would definitely recommend it. I wax it each year and it still looks like new.

I constructed a pole building so it is stored inside and it stays perfect and clean between trips. Considering that you can have a pole building built for about $10K it is money well spent if you plan on keeping the RV for a while. It doesn't add that much to the initial cost of the RV and you will probably recoup it on resale. If I couldn't afford both paint and a building I would opt for the building.

Not sure what you meant by ordering in November which is past. Since 2015 production starts about April I expect anything ordered now could go either way depending on their backlog. Your dealer should be able to tell you.
It's up to you but if you meant next November, I would never order an RV in November unless you asked it to be delayed til April. I say that because I would not want an RV that was delivered in winter and likely got a salt bath on the way. Even when I ordered mine in September I specifically requested it not be driven on any salted roads.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I would never order an RV in November unless you asked it to be delayed til April. I say that because I would not want an RV that was delivered in winter and likely got a salt bath on the way. Even when I ordered mine in September I specifically requested it not be driven on any salted roads.
This is a valid comment. My unit was obviously transported in the winter on salted roads (Indiana to Louisiana - go figure) and my undercarriage is severely corroded. From the Bigfoot leveler pads to the cladding around the Onan generator - it appeared it sat in a salt water bath for a month. Spent a lot of time washing the undercarriage and treating the heavy corrosion. The bad side of the Ford chassis is no under coating; GM under coats their frames but I don't know how all that works out for extended chassis by Forest River.

Full body paint is great - better than decals by far but something else to worry with is scratches. Tree limbs, kids bikes, or any work done on the coach presents the risk of messing with the beautiful paint work.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #8

I don't have full body paint but recall reading a couple issues with it on this forum. I think one person complained about a bad paint job that was bubbling after a year or two. Another person needed to get a new door (or storage door, can't remember) & that posed a challenge to match up the paint properly. Just a couple things to consider.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #9

I have a 2013 3010 that we bought last February and love it. There is no other floor plan that offers that much counter space (that was my wife's main request). I really wanted to get the full paint, but after reading a few posts about matching paint if wrecked, or replacing a broken door, I am glad I stuck with the white. I usually keep it covered or in a garage when it is home. Still looks brand new. I also had the Xylon coating added to the purchase for 750.00... So much easier to wash and keep clean.... (Note about the Xylon coating.... Make sure that if you get it they remove the lp/co2 detector before hand... The coating will ruin the sensor inside and the thing will go nuts.)
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #10

Good call on the salted roads. I had not even thought about that. Maybe I will order this spring instead of in the fall. That way it wont travel salted roads and we will be able to do a few weekend trips this summer.

As for the paint I would think an reputable auto body shop would be able to color match the paint. I've even seen paint jobs that wear sun faded and weathered to match the original paint job.

Will N.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak ak View Post
Good call on the salted roads. I had not even thought about that. Maybe I will order this spring instead of in the fall. That way it wont travel salted roads and we will be able to do a few weekend trips this summer.

As for the paint I would think an reputable auto body shop would be able to color match the paint. I've even seen paint jobs that wear sun faded and weathered to match the original paint job.

Will N.
Matching the paint is difficult due to the fact that you could be matching 3 or 4 clolors as well as the graphics pattern. Possibly FR could supply the templates used for the patterns. Other wise someone would have to freelance the patterns. Something that a normal paint shop may not be able to do. You would need to use a custom hot rod shop but they may not have a booth big enough to do an RV. Not something to worry about as it would be the insurance company's problem.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #12

They ship touch-up paints with the coach and have a label inside with the details on the paint. I would think most paint shops could fix paint issues. In fact when the orientation walk-through with our unit I pointed out a few things and mentioned that paint touch-up would present a problem. The technician stated that paint work is not a problem for them - they repair paint work all the time. Giving that the majority of the units that they sell are full body paint - I believed him.
I guess it is like the interior cabinet work. You have the real wood raised panel type and the laminate type with the laminate being more durable than the real wood but I really like the real wood. I like the full body paint more than the unpainted I just wish I could have an invisible shell around it. There always seems to be something ready to reach out and scratch it. In our subdivision the main street is lined with various trees. I have to ride the curb to miss the reach so as not to hit the slide topper or scratch the paint.
Point is the paint is a very nice option but does have some trade-offs.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 AM   #13
Plain Old Member

We liked and disliked the full paint. We were one of those posts mentioning paint not matching. They replaced our main door on the previous Forester at FR service and it was sent back to the paint shop 3 times that week trying to get it right. This was at one of the many local paint shops that paints them for FR. It looked worse than the original door. You see varying quality paint jobs from unit to unit as they are subbed to several different shops in the area once off the assembly line. Another thing I don't like about the paint is routine sealing. You almost have to use clear and be very tedious with it to make it look good. A white RV may not look as fancy, but it's just so much more forgiving with some things. White also does not attract the heat like the darker paint can. Was terrible on our mostly black Tiffin. I still love a painted rig, but will never own another. Just our personal experience and opinion. I'd spend my money on a shed / shop as mentioned earlier.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote