Old 04-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
IMO the Chevy 4500 has overkill spring stack on the rear for these small rigs.
I am at 11k fully loaded.
They are rated at 14k.
I don't see a need for any added spring suppiort- maybe a HD shock like Bilsteins.
How did they change the ride ?
The ride was very good before the Sumo installation. The handeling was excellent also. I never drove another RV that had such good road manners. My issues were porpoising on some roads and bridges and also occasional banging from the rear end.

The Sumos made the ride even smoother and the handeling even tighter to my pleasant surprise. The porpoising was mostly eliminated or if it did occur it was only very minor. I did test drives over the same sections of roads that caused problems to satisify myself that the investment was worth it. It was. Leaning was almost non existent but now even less if that makes sense.

I actually forget that I had a problem as I drive on those roads and bridges.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
The ride was very good before the Sumo installation. The handeling was excellent also. I never drove another RV that had such good road manners. My issues were porpoising on some roads and bridges and also occasional banging from the rear end.

The Sumos made the ride even smoother and the handeling even tighter to my pleasant surprise. The porpoising was mostly eliminated or if it did occur it was only very minor. I did test drives over the same sections of roads that caused problems to satisify myself that the investment was worth it. It was. Leaning was almost non existent but now even less if that makes sense.

I actually forget that I had a problem as I drive on those roads and bridges.

That is how I felt after the front end changes I made (Bilsteins/Reflex stabilizer and MH alignment). I just figured the rear was...well...just heavy duty truck like. May look into some changes.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #13

TL, do you have the numbers from your alignment, both before and after? I'll need to find a shop nearby; I have one that I go to for our cars, but don't know if the Sunseeker will fit in their bay. I had a horrible experience with an alignment (expensive, poor workmanship, front end fell apart on the road) at the local ford dealer on our Four Winds, which is partly why I got rid of the FW.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
That is how I felt after the front end changes I made (Bilsteins/Reflex stabilizer and MH alignment). I just figured the rear was...well...just heavy duty truck like. May look into some changes.
I think the quality of ride is also affected by how the vehicle is loaded.. The 4500 is designed to carry a much heavier load than what I have, hence a harsher ride. More weight in a he vehicle will result in a smoother ride.

So I modified for my circumstances .

Old 04-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
TL, do you have the numbers from your alignment, both before and after? I'll need to find a shop nearby; I have one that I go to for our cars, but don't know if the Sunseeker will fit in their bay. I had a horrible experience with an alignment (expensive, poor workmanship, front end fell apart on the road) at the local ford dealer on our Four Winds, which is partly why I got rid of the FW.

Thanks!
I do not have the numbers- my guy uses a mechanical (not electronic) rack so I don;t have a printout.
I believe he set tow and camber to zero and added 1 degree to caster for 5 total I believe.
The added caster is the key. The camber and tow are for tire wear.
The added caster gets you back to center steer quicker.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I think the quality of ride is also affected by how the vehicle is loaded.. The 4500 is designed to carry a much heavier load than what I have, hence a harsher ride. More weight in a he vehicle will result in a smoother ride.

So I modified for my circumstances .
Mine rides better when I hang 600 lbs off the back (motorcycle and 2 bicycles).
I may look into Bilsteins for the rear.
Can't hurt- will only help the dampening on the harsh bumps.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Mine rides better when I hang 600 lbs off the back (motorcycle and 2 bicycles).
I may look into Bilsteins for the rear.
Can't hurt- will only help the dampening on the harsh bumps.
I expect the Bilsteins will work well for you. I was going to get them but missed a window to get them installed for $5 at Camping World. Then I had been reading about Sumo springs and decided to take a chance and save a bundle of cash.

I will get the Bilsteins when my current shocks fail.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #18

Delco Bobby, thanks for sharing your maiden voyage. There's never a dull moment when learning your way around a new rig, lots of fun, though. I'm glad to read the discussion about front suspension mods. The bouncy front end is something that I want to address and Bilstiens seem like the way to go.

I agree about the power being good. We haven't had it in the mountains yet, but I have found on hilly back roads that using tow haul seems to help keep it from bogging down when climbing and helps it just sail over the hills. It should help keep the trans from overheating in hot weather too. I have also found that gas mileage is better when using tow haul in those conditions.

Congratulations on your new Sunseeker.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #19

Talking

Actually, brucemc is the OP of maiden voyage.

I live in a hilly area with very sterp hills and have all the power I need so far. I have not done any mountain driving yet but expect this rig to be fine? My first trip up to Penn State should confirm that although I am anxious about the ride down the mountain.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #20

Sorry, brucemc, credit where credit is due.