Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

2016 3170DS Leak!

On a recent trip to the beach with some heavy rain, my daughter was awakened to a leak in her overhead bed (above the cab) coming from the speaker. After putting a bucket under the leak and removed the speaker. I couldn't see or feel where the water was coming from. Once the rain stopped, I immediately inspected the roof. Not seeing anything unusual, I put some sealant along the front seal that connects the fiberglass cab to the rubber seam. It seemed to help for the time being but still plan to have dealer do a thorough check and re seal everything as I know what water can do to a camper. Has anyone else had this issue? I guess I just assumed that being a newer camper, and the roof compared to past campers, I wouldn't be worrying about this now.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Pickinngrinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #2

I would get it sealed asap. I had a leak didn't know a size of a dime. It cost me a whole new roof. Never leaked inside.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

My 2016 Forester had a leak in the cab area that showed up as a stain on the padded roof. It stays under cover and I check the roof about every 3 or 4 months when I wash it and was inspected by the dealer in May of last year. There was also a minor leak in the bedroom closet at the back corner that caused some discoloration on the cedar lining.

All it takes is a pin hole and water that sits on the roof like in the front corners on these units will find a way in. Due to not having time to do it myself between camping trips I had my dealer scrape off all the old sealant and re-apply it. Not cheap at $120 an hour.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

Get some Eternabond tape and tape up every seam on the roof. I did that and will be doing that on every RV or camper I ever own from now on. I didn't have a leak, but my brother did so it scared me into doing this. I did a video on it (see below).

BTW, my brother's leak turned out to be the yellow marker light on the nose cap. He initially though it was the side window, then he thought it was the seam where the roof and cap meets and finally figured out it was the marker light. So check everything and seal it whether it needs it or not.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

I had the same problem. Ended up being one of the front marker lights. I sealed around all of them and have not had any trouble since.
TNshawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, leak