Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #1

2017 sunseeker 2300 couple issues so far??

So first of let me say we love it, we have had it about two weeks and have takes several short trips (3-4hr each way) and I have already ordered the hellwig front sway bar and the reflex steering dampener to help with wander and after I install those ill see if the back sway bar is necessary..

But the couple questions I have are one, what kind of mpg should I expect once the motor is broke in? Ford v10 by the way.. On this weekends trip to lake of the ozarks which was mainly interstate and 2 lane country rd hanging from 55 to 67-68mph and hardly ever hitting 70mph and using the cruise for pretty much the whole trip I averaged 7.5mpg. The motorhome was loaded with a full water tank and all other tanks empty and it was just the wife and I and our two 20lb Boston Terriers and we may have used the gen a total of 2hrs tops.. I noticed another forum member with a 2250 was getting 10+, now that being said we knew going into this we weren't buying it for fuel economy I'm just curious and I'll be changing the oil before our next big trip at the end of the month and I always run synthetic but would a different air filter help or any other sugestions??

Also today on the way to the dump station we stopped by the hardware store and I fired the gen up to keep the dog cool and we where in there maybe 15mins and right as we came back to the RV the gen started running real rough and died and now when you start it it will fire right up run for 2-3mins and then start running rough and die.. The code it is showing either 13 or 14 and of coarse it's under warranty but if it's a simple fix and someone knows of something to try I'm all ears!

Other than those couple of things we love it, it's our first motorhome and we wish we would have bought one years ago only thing I kinda wish it had is a leveling system! Ps thanks in advance for any help or recommendations anyone may have!
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #2

Hi, I'm the other member who posted about getting the 10+ mpg.

One thing I should note is your speed. I never drive over 62 mph. That alone might make a substantial difference. I was also traveling with two people, but no dog(s) (we also have a boston terrier LOL).

Theoretically, your 2300 should get better mileage that my 2250 because it has no slide and is therefore lighter.

Regarding oil & filter, Ford's oil is already a synthetic blend. I don't believe that full synthetic and a "hi-performance" filter such as a K&N would make any noticeable difference, or at least that has been my experience.

One thing I am curious about also - does your E-450 have the 6-speed transmission? I ask because I read that there were a few produced with the 5-speed until the supply was used up. If its a 6-speed on your dash you will see a number 4 to the right of N. If that number is a 3 you have the 5-speed. The 5-speed MPG will be less, but I would not think almost 3 MPG less.

I'm really thinking that you should try a run and keep it at 62 max to see what happens.

Also get an app for your smartphone, or GPS, that can verify your road speed. I found that the speedo reads 2 to 3 mph high.

Now, as for the generator. First I'll ask the obvious. Is your generator gas or propane? If propane, are your sure you have propane and that the valve is open. If gas, if your gas tank wasn't at least 1/4 full the generator will not get fuel.

Looking around the internet I see that codes 13 or 14 could point to several issues, including a dirty carburetor.

The generators MUST be run a minimum or 2 hours / month with a load (like A/C) to prevent carburetor varnishing (gunk). If you can get it started again I highly recommend you do that. If the RV is stored at times, you should add a fuel stabilizer (I'll be getting this - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/OnaFr...-p/55-9550.htm ).

Hope I've helped some!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! That's funny about the Boston, they are great dogs!! It does have the 6 speed and I'll try the speed thing as well and yes mine runs a few miles off as well.. If the speedo says 60 the gps is closer to 57.

As far as the gen since we bought it two weeks ago it has Han fine until yesterday and its gas and the tank being less than a 1/4 full was the first thing I though of but I had almost 1/2 a tank, it almost sounds like it beings overloaded and then dies but I even shut the battery switch off and it still does it?? It has right at 20hrs on it so it's due for its first service but sounds like it may have to go to the shop.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards79 View Post
Thanks for the reply! That's funny about the Boston, they are great dogs!! It does have the 6 speed and I'll try the speed thing as well and yes mine runs a few miles off as well.. If the speedo says 60 the gps is closer to 57.

As far as the gen since we bought it two weeks ago it has Han fine until yesterday and its gas and the tank being less than a 1/4 full was the first thing I though of but I had almost 1/2 a tank, it almost sounds like it beings overloaded and then dies but I even shut the battery switch off and it still does it?? It has right at 20hrs on it so it's due for its first service but sounds like it may have to go to the shop.
Are you the one who put the 20 hours on it? If you've have had your motorhome only 2 weeks or so you've certainly exercised it enough. I'm assuming also that you've checked your oil level occasionally and its been ok.

If you're running only the A/C on it then it should not be overloaded. Now if you were to fire up the microwave and/or the electric water heater along with the A/C then it could sputter and shut down.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Are you the one who put the 20 hours on it? If you've have had your motorhome only 2 weeks or so you've certainly exercised it enough. I'm assuming also that you've checked your oil level occasionally and its been ok.

If you're running only the A/C on it then it should not be overloaded. Now if you were to fire up the microwave and/or the electric water heater along with the A/C then it could sputter and shut down.
Yep the 20hrs was all me and yes the Ac is the only thing big that was being ran, I even shut everything off and it still dies after 3 mins. Oil level is full and I'm going to do the first service as soon as I get it back. Just called the dealer and he can get it in tomorrow so it's going in for the first time and gin agent a few other small things fixed as well. Worse case he said they would have to take it to Cummins which as luck would have it is right down the rd from them!
Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Yep the 20hrs was all me and yes the Ac is the only thing big that was being ran, I even shut everything off and it still dies after 3 mins. Oil level is full and I'm going to do the first service as soon as I get it back. Just called the dealer and he can get it in tomorrow so it's going in for the first time and gin agent a few other small things fixed as well. Worse case he said they would have to take it to Cummins which as luck would have it is right down the rd from them!
Ok, good and good luck!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #7

milleage

I have a 2015 Forester 2251sle with 10,000 miles and a Chevie 4500. I get 9.7 miles to the gallon towing a Smartfor2 65- 70 miles an hour and if it wasn't for the camera I won't even know the car was behind me.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

If the generator stalled, you probably had too much load. If the refrigerator was on Auto it would switch from propane to electric as soon as the generator was powering the coach. If the water heater then came on while the A/C and refrigerator were running, added to other loads such as the convertor, you could have exceeded the genrator's capacity.

Also to consider, even if the total running load of the A/C, water heater and refrigerator is below 30 amps, the A/C starting load is much higher than its running load. The generator does not have the reserve capacity of an electric utility, so the higher but short duration load can stall a generator.

By the way, what was your altitude? The generator looses power with altitude. The manual gives a chart of it. Above 5000 feet it's significant.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
If the generator stalled, you probably had too much load. If the refrigerator was on Auto it would switch from propane to electric as soon as the generator was powering the coach. If the water heater then came on while the A/C and refrigerator were running, added to other loads such as the convertor, you could have exceeded the genrator's capacity.

Also to consider, even if the total running load of the A/C, water heater and refrigerator is below 30 amps, the A/C starting load is much higher than its running load. The generator does not have the reserve capacity of an electric utility, so the higher but short duration load can stall a generator.

By the way, what was your altitude? The generator looses power with altitude. The manual gives a chart of it. Above 5000 feet it's significant.
We live in central Illinois so altitude isnt really a factor, like I mentioned before the only thing on at the time was the ac which I switched on after approx 3-4mins after the gen was running and the ac fan kicked on and then the compressor and all was good when we exited the coach and when we returned about 10-15 mins later just as we were getting ready to enter it started running rough and then died, I tried to restart which it did and it ran for about 1 min and died again throwing code #13 or 14 (can't remember right now) later when we got home I tried running it again with no load and got the same response.

Prior to Sunday it has worked great since the day we took deliverey about two weeks ago including Friday and Saturday when it was ran for about 9-10hrs total powering the ac, tvs, fridge and pretty much anything else that might have been used in there on our mini trip..

Today right before I went to take it back to the dealer I tried it one last time and it did the same thing only this time I got code #36.. The way it's acting to me it seems like it might be something to do with the main control board but I'll be the first to say I don't know much about these RV gens but I've had a bunch of generators over the years and our house have a whole house gen setup on it and it will throw codes just like these do. I'm sure the dealer will get it back up and running I just hope they do it in a timely fashion because we have a trip coming up the last weekend of this month!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I have a 2015 Forester 2251sle with 10,000 miles and a Chevie 4500. I get 9.7 miles to the gallon towing a Smartfor2 65- 70 miles an hour and if it wasn't for the camera I won't even know the car was behind me.
That would be great if I could get close to that pulling our jeep but something tells me not to hold my breath! Lol. That's awesome though!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi, I'm the other member who posted about getting the 10+ mpg.

One thing I should note is your speed. I never drive over 62 mph. That alone might make a substantial difference. I was also traveling with two people, but no dog(s) (we also have a boston terrier LOL).

Theoretically, your 2300 should get better mileage that my 2250 because it has no slide and is therefore lighter.

Regarding oil & filter, Ford's oil is already a synthetic blend. I don't believe that full synthetic and a "hi-performance" filter such as a K&N would make any noticeable difference, or at least that has been my experience.

One thing I am curious about also - does your E-450 have the 6-speed transmission? I ask because I read that there were a few produced with the 5-speed until the supply was used up. If its a 6-speed on your dash you will see a number 4 to the right of N. If that number is a 3 you have the 5-speed. The 5-speed MPG will be less, but I would not think almost 3 MPG less.

I'm really thinking that you should try a run and keep it at 62 max to see what happens.

Also get an app for your smartphone, or GPS, that can verify your road speed. I found that the speedo reads 2 to 3 mph high.

Now, as for the generator. First I'll ask the obvious. Is your generator gas or propane? If propane, are your sure you have propane and that the valve is open. If gas, if your gas tank wasn't at least 1/4 full the generator will not get fuel.

Looking around the internet I see that codes 13 or 14 could point to several issues, including a dirty carburetor.

The generators MUST be run a minimum or 2 hours / month with a load (like A/C) to prevent carburetor varnishing (gunk). If you can get it started again I highly recommend you do that. If the RV is stored at times, you should add a fuel stabilizer (I'll be getting this - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/OnaFr...-p/55-9550.htm ).

Hope I've helped some!

Just out of curiosity how many rpm are you running when you are going around 62-63mph? I'm guessing ford puts the same gear ratio in all these chassis when they build them but since I don't have a window sticker and I'm not right by a ford dealer to have them run the vin and give me a build sheet I'm not sure what my ratio is. If you tell me what your rpm is at around 63 I'll compare it with mine... If the gearing is the same and the tires are the same then the rpm should be pretty close between the two.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #12

Window Sticker

I found this web site and stashed it for future reference.
FordEtis home page

Pop your VIN into the box and it should give you a vehicle summary.

Good luck.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
I found this web site and stashed it for future reference.
FordEtis home page

Pop your VIN into the box and it should give you a vehicle summary.

Good luck.

Chris in Virginia
Good info right there!! Thank you very much'
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Just out of curiosity how many rpm are you running when you are going around 62-63mph? I'm guessing ford puts the same gear ratio in all these chassis when they build them but since I don't have a window sticker and I'm not right by a ford dealer to have them run the vin and give me a build sheet I'm not sure what my ratio is. If you tell me what your rpm is at around 63 I'll compare it with mine... If the gearing is the same and the tires are the same then the rpm should be pretty close between the two.
As I recall at 62 mph my RPM is around 2300.

My rear axle ratio is 4.56.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:

Ok thanks. As soon as I get the coach back I'll check and see what mine does at that speed.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:

Well we must have the same or close the same gearing because I'm spot on 2300 rpm with the set at 62-63, well speedo says I'm going 65 but gps on dash and on phone both say 62-63.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Well we must have the same or close the same gearing because I'm spot on 2300 rpm with the set at 62-63, well speedo says I'm going 65 but gps on dash and on phone both say 62-63.
Yep, sounds exactly like mine.

I'll be getting some good long distance data later this week when I go to Bristol TN.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #18

milleage

Smartfor2 only 1800lbs.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker