Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #1
Member
 
Beards79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 78
2017 sunseeker 2300 couple issues so far??

So first of let me say we love it, we have had it about two weeks and have takes several short trips (3-4hr each way) and I have already ordered the hellwig front sway bar and the reflex steering dampener to help with wander and after I install those ill see if the back sway bar is necessary..

But the couple questions I have are one, what kind of mpg should I expect once the motor is broke in? Ford v10 by the way.. On this weekends trip to lake of the ozarks which was mainly interstate and 2 lane country rd hanging from 55 to 67-68mph and hardly ever hitting 70mph and using the cruise for pretty much the whole trip I averaged 7.5mpg. The motorhome was loaded with a full water tank and all other tanks empty and it was just the wife and I and our two 20lb Boston Terriers and we may have used the gen a total of 2hrs tops.. I noticed another forum member with a 2250 was getting 10+, now that being said we knew going into this we weren't buying it for fuel economy I'm just curious and I'll be changing the oil before our next big trip at the end of the month and I always run synthetic but would a different air filter help or any other sugestions??

Also today on the way to the dump station we stopped by the hardware store and I fired the gen up to keep the dog cool and we where in there maybe 15mins and right as we came back to the RV the gen started running real rough and died and now when you start it it will fire right up run for 2-3mins and then start running rough and die.. The code it is showing either 13 or 14 and of coarse it's under warranty but if it's a simple fix and someone knows of something to try I'm all ears!

Other than those couple of things we love it, it's our first motorhome and we wish we would have bought one years ago only thing I kinda wish it had is a leveling system! Ps thanks in advance for any help or recommendations anyone may have!
__________________

__________________
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 758
Hi, I'm the other member who posted about getting the 10+ mpg.

One thing I should note is your speed. I never drive over 62 mph. That alone might make a substantial difference. I was also traveling with two people, but no dog(s) (we also have a boston terrier LOL).

Theoretically, your 2300 should get better mileage that my 2250 because it has no slide and is therefore lighter.

Regarding oil & filter, Ford's oil is already a synthetic blend. I don't believe that full synthetic and a "hi-performance" filter such as a K&N would make any noticeable difference, or at least that has been my experience.

One thing I am curious about also - does your E-450 have the 6-speed transmission? I ask because I read that there were a few produced with the 5-speed until the supply was used up. If its a 6-speed on your dash you will see a number 4 to the right of N. If that number is a 3 you have the 5-speed. The 5-speed MPG will be less, but I would not think almost 3 MPG less.

I'm really thinking that you should try a run and keep it at 62 max to see what happens.

Also get an app for your smartphone, or GPS, that can verify your road speed. I found that the speedo reads 2 to 3 mph high.

Now, as for the generator. First I'll ask the obvious. Is your generator gas or propane? If propane, are your sure you have propane and that the valve is open. If gas, if your gas tank wasn't at least 1/4 full the generator will not get fuel.

Looking around the internet I see that codes 13 or 14 could point to several issues, including a dirty carburetor.

The generators MUST be run a minimum or 2 hours / month with a load (like A/C) to prevent carburetor varnishing (gunk). If you can get it started again I highly recommend you do that. If the RV is stored at times, you should add a fuel stabilizer (I'll be getting this - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/OnaFr...-p/55-9550.htm ).

Hope I've helped some!
__________________

__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
Member
 
Beards79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 78
Thanks for the reply! That's funny about the Boston, they are great dogs!! It does have the 6 speed and I'll try the speed thing as well and yes mine runs a few miles off as well.. If the speedo says 60 the gps is closer to 57.

As far as the gen since we bought it two weeks ago it has Han fine until yesterday and its gas and the tank being less than a 1/4 full was the first thing I though of but I had almost 1/2 a tank, it almost sounds like it beings overloaded and then dies but I even shut the battery switch off and it still does it?? It has right at 20hrs on it so it's due for its first service but sounds like it may have to go to the shop.
__________________
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards79 View Post
Thanks for the reply! That's funny about the Boston, they are great dogs!! It does have the 6 speed and I'll try the speed thing as well and yes mine runs a few miles off as well.. If the speedo says 60 the gps is closer to 57.

As far as the gen since we bought it two weeks ago it has Han fine until yesterday and its gas and the tank being less than a 1/4 full was the first thing I though of but I had almost 1/2 a tank, it almost sounds like it beings overloaded and then dies but I even shut the battery switch off and it still does it?? It has right at 20hrs on it so it's due for its first service but sounds like it may have to go to the shop.
Are you the one who put the 20 hours on it? If you've have had your motorhome only 2 weeks or so you've certainly exercised it enough. I'm assuming also that you've checked your oil level occasionally and its been ok.

If you're running only the A/C on it then it should not be overloaded. Now if you were to fire up the microwave and/or the electric water heater along with the A/C then it could sputter and shut down.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
Member
 
Beards79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Are you the one who put the 20 hours on it? If you've have had your motorhome only 2 weeks or so you've certainly exercised it enough. I'm assuming also that you've checked your oil level occasionally and its been ok.

If you're running only the A/C on it then it should not be overloaded. Now if you were to fire up the microwave and/or the electric water heater along with the A/C then it could sputter and shut down.
Yep the 20hrs was all me and yes the Ac is the only thing big that was being ran, I even shut everything off and it still dies after 3 mins. Oil level is full and I'm going to do the first service as soon as I get it back. Just called the dealer and he can get it in tomorrow so it's going in for the first time and gin agent a few other small things fixed as well. Worse case he said they would have to take it to Cummins which as luck would have it is right down the rd from them!
__________________
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards79 View Post
Yep the 20hrs was all me and yes the Ac is the only thing big that was being ran, I even shut everything off and it still dies after 3 mins. Oil level is full and I'm going to do the first service as soon as I get it back. Just called the dealer and he can get it in tomorrow so it's going in for the first time and gin agent a few other small things fixed as well. Worse case he said they would have to take it to Cummins which as luck would have it is right down the rd from them!
Ok, good and good luck!
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 332
milleage

I have a 2015 Forester 2251sle with 10,000 miles and a Chevie 4500. I get 9.7 miles to the gallon towing a Smartfor2 65- 70 miles an hour and if it wasn't for the camera I won't even know the car was behind me.
__________________
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,177
If the generator stalled, you probably had too much load. If the refrigerator was on Auto it would switch from propane to electric as soon as the generator was powering the coach. If the water heater then came on while the A/C and refrigerator were running, added to other loads such as the convertor, you could have exceeded the genrator's capacity.

Also to consider, even if the total running load of the A/C, water heater and refrigerator is below 30 amps, the A/C starting load is much higher than its running load. The generator does not have the reserve capacity of an electric utility, so the higher but short duration load can stall a generator.

By the way, what was your altitude? The generator looses power with altitude. The manual gives a chart of it. Above 5000 feet it's significant.
__________________
RamblerGuy
2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
Member
 
Beards79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
If the generator stalled, you probably had too much load. If the refrigerator was on Auto it would switch from propane to electric as soon as the generator was powering the coach. If the water heater then came on while the A/C and refrigerator were running, added to other loads such as the convertor, you could have exceeded the genrator's capacity.

Also to consider, even if the total running load of the A/C, water heater and refrigerator is below 30 amps, the A/C starting load is much higher than its running load. The generator does not have the reserve capacity of an electric utility, so the higher but short duration load can stall a generator.

By the way, what was your altitude? The generator looses power with altitude. The manual gives a chart of it. Above 5000 feet it's significant.
We live in central Illinois so altitude isnt really a factor, like I mentioned before the only thing on at the time was the ac which I switched on after approx 3-4mins after the gen was running and the ac fan kicked on and then the compressor and all was good when we exited the coach and when we returned about 10-15 mins later just as we were getting ready to enter it started running rough and then died, I tried to restart which it did and it ran for about 1 min and died again throwing code #13 or 14 (can't remember right now) later when we got home I tried running it again with no load and got the same response.

Prior to Sunday it has worked great since the day we took deliverey about two weeks ago including Friday and Saturday when it was ran for about 9-10hrs total powering the ac, tvs, fridge and pretty much anything else that might have been used in there on our mini trip..

Today right before I went to take it back to the dealer I tried it one last time and it did the same thing only this time I got code #36.. The way it's acting to me it seems like it might be something to do with the main control board but I'll be the first to say I don't know much about these RV gens but I've had a bunch of generators over the years and our house have a whole house gen setup on it and it will throw codes just like these do. I'm sure the dealer will get it back up and running I just hope they do it in a timely fashion because we have a trip coming up the last weekend of this month!
__________________
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Member
 
Beards79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I have a 2015 Forester 2251sle with 10,000 miles and a Chevie 4500. I get 9.7 miles to the gallon towing a Smartfor2 65- 70 miles an hour and if it wasn't for the camera I won't even know the car was behind me.
That would be great if I could get close to that pulling our jeep but something tells me not to hold my breath! Lol. That's awesome though!
__________________

__________________
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sunseeker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.