Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
RGG

2018 Sunseeker 3010DS TV Hookup questions

We bought a 2018 3010DS Sunseeker and are confused with the way the hookups to the TV are implemented. As usual, there is little to no documentation on this and I am left to figure this out on my own. Three basic questions:
1. How are the two TVs connected to the outside cable and rooftop antenna? As far as I can tell, there are coax cables leading from each source (outside cable and antenna) through some kind of box that then connects to the two TVs via coax. Best I can tell, these are splitters of some kind. I have found that if you tune the TVs to cable and the antenna booster is on, the TV does not get the cable signal: this tells me it is a fairly simple hookup... can anyone confirm?
2. We are now trying to hook a satellite dish qnd receiver into our coach. It works perfectly fine, but I have no way to hook it up via the outside cable port. Since I have no idea how this cable port connects so I can then place the receiver in between it and the TV I have had to kluge a hookup by running the sat cable through a window and then via the HDMI2 port provided above the Jensen unit above the door. This is good since we can watch regular cable and analog TV and switch to sat TV via when we want, but the jumble of wires makes this unsustainable in the long term. It is hard to beleive that the designers at FR did not provide a simpler solution to such a common requirement.
3. Finally, while I am at it, what is the purpose of the Coax outlet in the space above the Jensen unit? There is an HDMI port as well which I have determined is connected to the one TV as HDMI2, and presume that the Coax is similarly connected to one or both TVs somehow, but for the life of me, I cannot figure that out. In case you are wondering, on the off chance that it was a direct link from the outside cable outlet, I tried sandwiching my sat receiver in between the TV (via the HDMI port) and that port... it did not work. I know that having a satellite feed where there are splitters in use is a bad idea so this was a long shot at best.

Is there anyone out there that had figured this out yet? I did check previous posts but there was nothing on the new 3010 model.

Thanks for helping in any case.

Roger (a Canadian in Florida trying to get hockey on TV!)
RGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #2

Roger,
See this thread. Specifically my explanation in post #7.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
RGG

Steve, took me all of 15 minutes to move my kluged cable hookup through the window to the coax port that was quickly found just in front of the front air vent. All three of my questions answered! What I now intend to do is tape the coax cable the length of the roof to the back somewhere by the ladder to make it more convenient to hookup in the future and we are all done. Thanks a heap!
Roger
RGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

Roger,
Glad it helped. I actually repurposed (as I do not use sat. TV) the roof coax port for my cellular booster antenna which is mounted on my ladder. I used small 2x4" pieces of Eternabond tape every 2' or so to secure the coax to the roof.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Adult Member

Roger, if you see the post #22 where Steve told you to look you will see my response. We have a 2017 3010. We zip tied the coax cable across the roof & down the ladder for easy hookup of our portable Winegard. Hope that helps.
punkinpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Roger,
See this thread. Specifically my explanation in post #7.
Solved problem on my 2016 3010. You can connect to the cable on outside of RV. The problem is in the splitters. A satilite box needs to communicate with the dish. That signal will not pass through a normal cable splitter. You need to get a splitter with a pass back circuit [Lowes]. Install it directy on the cable from the outside in front of any other splitters. Connect existing system to one output and the sat box to output with pass back. Use hdmi fron sat box to tv.

You just have to find the where all the cable connections are located. Mine where behind the jensen radio dvd box located above the door near the antenna switch.

No more wire through the window and no new holes in rv.

Good luck.
rvharrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker