Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

2300 Suggestions

Overall we like our 2300 a lot. I did post the defects in the poll thread. Beyond that, I have a some suggestions for improvements.

There are three shallow drawers per side on the wardrobe. They are 3.75" each and the three of them occupy over 20" of vertical space. Switch to two medium depth drawers, or keep the shallow one on top and a 10" one below. Because two of the 3.75" ones use the same space as would a 10" one, and the latter would be much more usable than two shallow ones.

We are not fond of the step-side switches being at floor level. They could be moved up ~18", just below the hanging counter extension, and still be reachable from the ground but also be a lot easier to work from inside. As it stands now, if you are going outside at night and want to turn on the porch light, you have to touch your toes. Probably the cabinet construction dictates the current location. Just a little thing.

WFCO converters are not very good. I wonder how much more an IOTA or Progressive Dynamics would cost FR. We are dry camping this week, and it's absolutely prohibitive to try to charge with the genset and WFCO converter charger. It just doesn't put out enough volts and amps when it counts. Although it claims to have a 14.4 volt bulk mode, you basically can't make it happen. So instead you get a 13.6 volt charge, which takes forever. These WFCO's are only good for RVs that are plugged in. And they could be a lot better at that too. They are poor for dry camping. An IOTA or PD is better at all of it.

I can't see the logic in having the converter so far from the batteries. Chargers work much better with short cables. When I replace the WFCO with a PD, it will go behind the undersink drawer, right next to the batteries. Yes, there are two heat ducts in there, which warm up the cabinet space. But I had a thermometer in there during furnace operation, and the heat is not all that much. It'd be worth checking into, and it would save some wiring.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post

I can't see the logic in having the converter so far from the batteries. Chargers work much better with short cables. When I replace the WFCO with a PD, it will go behind the undersink drawer, right next to the batteries. Yes, there are two heat ducts in there, which warm up the cabinet space. But I had a thermometer in there during furnace operation, and the heat is not all that much. It'd be worth checking into, and it would save some wiring.
But you would have to run longer wire for the converter to get the supply 120 volt.
As I recall, the converter wire is #8 or better, more than sufficient for the run and to carry the max amp charge.
Another reason for the placement of the converter is to get the noise and heat out of the occupied side of the coach (though the heat would be a good thing right now).
I have already purchased a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger but yet to install it. WFCO does have programmed charge rate that is a bit finicky. I've watched my 12 volt LED flicker and here the converter on the other side cycling at the same time. Weird on such a low current draw of an LED to trigger the charge point.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

The 120v run can be very long with no effect. The converter wiring is #6 and probably 18-20 feet, best as I can tell. If the converter actually delivered 40 amps, with that wire the voltage drop would be 4.2%, or from 14.4 to 13.8. That's really bad.

To get the WFCO to jump to boost, you have to have enough load on the system to drag its 13.6v down to 13.2 at the charger itself. Then it will kick into 14.4 boost. To make that happen you have to create a huge load, like running a microwave on a big inverter. Not something that can be done on a stock RV. Even if you stick that PD directly in place of the WFCO, you'll be a fair bit better off. You'll lose some voltage at high amps but it will at least try. And it will finish better and maintain the batteries better.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

4% is an aggressive figure and you won't be drawing load amps at 100% of the time. I doubt it will be much more than 10 amps. 120 volt suffers similar line losses however, you did your homework and you want to modify. I was just adding in my opinion.

Bobby
Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Most of my camping is dry camping. I totally agree, the WFCO does a poor job regarding recharging the house batteries. I have lately been using the generator from the engine to charge the house batteries, I forgot the voltage it charges at, but it is faster. I'd like to know which PD or IOTA or scheme would be best suited for best recharging. I've read the info, but not sure which converter would deliver a 14.4 volt output that's desired for charging.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
I'd like to know which PD or IOTA or scheme would be best suited for best recharging. I've read the info, but not sure which converter would deliver a 14.4 volt output that's desired for charging.
I went with the Progressive Dynamics PD9260 and the smart wizard pendant. Which is a little more than my WFCO capacity.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
GM

Noted. As a side note, we hate putting electronics under the sink if we can avoid it.

Sometimes floor plan and layout dictate convertor location...but from experience we like to keep it outside where it can dissipate heat and you don;t hear the fan.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

Bobby, I'm talking about charging amps, not the draw from using 12v in the coach. Charging is when you need the 14.4v at 40a being able to pass through the wires without much loss.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

bclemens, thanks, that is what I figured. Well, it would cost more money but if they went with #2 cable instead of #6, the losses would be under 2% when bulk charging. And the converter suggestion still applies, although the customer could change that on his own and if the wiring was #2, things would be pretty good.

I like dry camping. We go to some good places, and some are shady so solar is sometimes not effective.

Again, thanks for considering suggestions.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
Bobby, I'm talking about charging amps, not the draw from using 12v in the coach. Charging is when you need the 14.4v at 40a being able to pass through the wires without much loss.
I understood what you meant. You are not recharging dead batteries. Even boondocking you will not bring the batteries below 11 volts. I understand your need to move it regardless.
Bobby