Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

2300 Sunseeker Rotary Power Knob by Door Question

When this control knob is set to off (and coach is not hooked up to 110) will the refrigerator run on propane? Or does this shut the refrigerator off as well as lights?

And does this react the same for the hot water heater also?
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

If it's like mine, that rotary switch you are referring to is the battery disconnect switch. Turning this switch to "off" cuts out all circuits run off the "house" batteries. So that includes the 12v power necessary for the refer, water heater, lights, furnace etc. Your refer and water heater require 12v to their control boards (printed circuit boards) to run.

The reason for the switch is so when you store your RV for any period of time, the batteries will not deplete their charge. Even with everything turned off in your RV, there are many circuits that are still "live" and draw power like the ones in the LP/CO sensor, etc. While these circuits draw only a little power, they can exhaust your batteries in a short time.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your answer, just wanted to make sure. Your answer is very well worded, Thanks, 17Racer
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #4

Adding to Wayne Lee's post, with the battery disconnect switch in the off position, the convertor will still supply 12 volts to everything if you are plugged in with your shore line. However, the coach batteries will not be charged.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

Good stuff on the batteries. Question/ situation
I have taken out our house batteries for the winter. However when they were in there is a solenoid in the battery distribution center that clicks once in a while and drives me nuts as it stops for a few days then starts up this clicking again. ( Quite loud) Our house batteries are on a solar panel and no worries about depleted batteries. So I go out and start up the Sunseeker and low and behold this clicking starts again . I thought it had something to do with the house batteries but with them out it evidently does not.
Has anyone got any ideas what this is . Its evidently something to do with the motor and running system.
Any comments are appreciated.
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

brandon 2
My 2014 Sunseeker 2300 was doing the same thing this season with the clicking. I isolated the clicking to the relay in the battery control center. It didn't seem to effect the overall functioning of the motorhome but it was annoying so I waited until the end of my season and brought it in for service. The dealer is replacing the relay after testing it and having the same experience with the clicking sound. They determined it was not working properly. Fortunately it is covered under my extended service plan and won't cost me anything. I will pass on any additional information I can when I get my motorhome back.
brianodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #7

Hmmmm. Interesting problem. Depending on your coach, there may be an electrical control panel near your house batteries. Just guessing here... What you could be hearing is not a solenoid but a latching relay. If your car engine's altenator also charges the house batteries, the relay may be trying to make contact to the house batteries. Don't know if this is the case, but maybe you could open your control panel and see if you can further identify where the sound is coming from. Wish we could have electrical diagrams for our "beasts", then it would help in troubleshooting problems.

On edit... Guess brianodon and I posted at the same time.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #8

The relay in the battery control system connects the coach batteries and the chassis batteries. Here's a link to a description of the Bi-Directional Relay Delay (BIRD) that controls the relay. This is for an Intellitec brand that was installed in our 2011 Sunseeker. They have since changed to a different brand, but it works the same way.

If the BIRD connects the two systems, but the total load is so much that it lowers the voltage too much on the side that is charging, it will de-energize the relay for a while, then try again. This can happen, say, if the chassis battery is dead and you have a heavy load in the coach. In this example, the convertor can't supply everything so the BIRD drops power to the chassis battery to keep the coach powered.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Intellitec BIRD Datasheet 00-01000-000.pdf
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

My question may have been answered in the past,,,
But if I have the Battery Disconnect Switch off,,,
And I run the Generator,,, will that charge the Batteries ???
I am guessing no ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #10

2300 Sunseeker Rotary Power Knob by Door Question

Blank - sorry
Old 11-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Blank

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 11-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #12

You shouldn't be able to start the generator if the battery switch is off. I do know on our unit if the battery switch is off and you are running your main engine (the one under the hood) the batteries will still charge. I have checked this with a volt meter.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
You shouldn't be able to start the generator if the battery switch is off. I do know on our unit if the battery switch is off and you are running your main engine (the one under the hood) the batteries will still charge. I have checked this with a volt meter.
Thanks,,, so maybe the generator will charge the batteries even if the switch is off ??? If I get a chance I will test it !!!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Blank

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
My father in-law,,, my he rest in peace,,,
Was born & raised in MN,,, he always told me it was 1000 lakes,,,
and 9000 ponds !!! LOL !!!

We have a few lakes here in the Great Lakes State !!!
Over 12,000 I believe ???

Tags
door, power, sunseeker