Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

2860ds questions

Purchased a new 2015 2860dsf, would be interested to hear from any one on a few questions. is it possable to add swivel seats in cab, if so where to purchase base and how much etc. how difficult to add an extra rearview camera to exsisting setup so i can have a similar view to looking out of rearview mirror? And i have a 2002 durango that can be flat towed, I know the numbers say i can tow it, but is it really to heavy for a class c or will it tow just fine? just need winter gone now so we can try it out.
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #2

We tow a 4000 pound car just fine with our 3100 on a Ford E450 chassis. We've been over the Rocky Mountains and on grades of 7% at 100 F.

You do need an auxiliary brake system. The motorhome is rated to tow the weight but the brakes are not rated for the additional weight.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

I can speak to the second camera issue. Take a look at my Misc album, the extra camera looks over the top of my JK toad. I made the mount for the camera and attached it with one of the window screws, the blind still functions as normal. The factory camera looks down to the point that the blue ox bumper pins are just at the bottom of the mirror screen. I mounted the camera's transmitter at the foot of the bed, and the screen is mounted with the XM receiver on a removable inset in the dash. I power the camera from the rear tv 12v source.

I can see traffic behind toad which was the objective.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
I can speak to the second camera issue. Take a look at my Misc album, the extra camera looks over the top of my JK toad. I made the mount for the camera and attached it with one of the window screws, the blind still functions as normal. The factory camera looks down to the point that the blue ox bumper pins are just at the bottom of the mirror screen. I mounted the camera's transmitter at the foot of the bed, and the screen is mounted with the XM receiver on a removable inset in the dash. I power the camera from the rear tv 12v source.

I can see traffic behind toad which was the objective.
Being a non-engineer what pieces and parts did you use for this setup? Very interested in this!! Thanks Budro35
Budro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Actually the camera came from Kroger's it was a Peak brand wireless camera. I have about 50 bucks in it. This unit has a remote transmitter about the size of a book of matches, that is what is pictured in my album at the foot of the bed. I cut the licence plate arms off and made a camera mount using the two screws on the back of the camera. The plastic mount I am using to mount the camera to the window is an old otter box shell from a blackberry phone.

The review of this unit did not fair well in the weather, but mine is mounted internally.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #6

I have a 2860ds and tow a Pontiac Gran Prix back and forth to Florida on a tow dolly. When towing, I just adjust the rear 2860ds camera upwards, it gives a pretty good view in doing so. It has a couple allen screws on each side, just remove them and the camera swivels upwards. Just replace the screws after repositioning. As a matter of fact, last year, I never readjusted it downward, left it in the up position even when not towing.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote