Old 07-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

Cool 2860DS Travel and Trailering

My wife and I are preparing an ambitious road trip in a month. From east coast to west coast and many beautiful sites. I am looking to obtain a car dolly to pull my Nissan Altima. We considered renting cars at various sites but the coast of that and doing paid tours would more than pay for a car dolly. I am curious what the gas milage change will be. I currently get from 8.5-10 on the road. Always above 9.5 when traveling on non hilly areas and keeping my speed at and below 65. Can I safely estimate about 2 miles less per gallon hauling my car?? Also. Does anyone have any car dolly travel suggestions. Our Chassis is a 2015 Chevy 4500 series on our 2016 Sunseeker.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

On my class A pulling a full size p/u I dropped 2.8 mph @ 60 mph that was with a F53 chassis and 460 engine. if you plan 2 to 3 drop you will be fine

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

I lose about 1 MPG pulling my Mini Cooper. I'm impressed, I rarely top 8 MPG, best tank was 8.3 in my 2451S.

Forester 2451s
Old 07-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

We see a little less than a 1mpg drop towing our Prius on a dolly behind our Ford V10 3170DS.

7.5 ish mpg towing and 8-8.5 mpg non-towing. That's mostly flat with no head wind... And a head wind deduct another 1-2 mpg.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

I also failed to mention in my previous post as to whether a tow dolly needs brakes or not. I have had a trailer and a boat and have towed for years. Both towing with my truck and never needed any sort of breaks with them. Just wondering if RV towing is different?? Lastly, if the tow dolly has lights is there a need to put additional lights on the car being towed?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

The boat trailers i have pulled had surge brakes as many tow dollies do. I do think when you are towing an extra 6K or so brakes are a real plus on the safety side. As for lights I think some tow dollies do have lights with that said your vehicle will extend well beyond the tow dolly so yes you would have to have some type of lighting either your towed vehicle lights or a portable set like sold at harbor freight.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
Old 07-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

Depends on what you are towing, how heavy and wide it is.

We don't have breaks on our dolly and only use the tail/stop lights on the dolly. ... Then again we tow a Prius that is only 2,800lbs and is narrow. You can clearly see both the tow dolly and motor home tail/stop lights.

I've always heard the rule is that they can be seen by other drivers behind you, not were they have to be located.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

here is some actual rules you choose the state Trailer Lighting - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Myself I would not tow with only lights down low on a dolly. I had a set of magnetic lights I put on my trucks when towing.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho

Tags
trailer, travel