Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #1

2860DS with double door refrigerator ice maker not working

My icemaker was working fine when I winterized. Now not passin water. Getting water to solenoid but solenoid not passing water. When I flip bail on icemaker up and down it doesn't trigger water. Has worked fine every year. any suggestions. I removed water line to solenoid and has great flow to it. And jumpered 12v (white and green wire) to it. Strange it was working fine when I winterized
Thanks
Ron
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

It looks like you have isolated the problem to the solenoid. Sure sounds like the piston is stuck. This is gonna sound crazy but if you put juice to the solenoid and tap the coil with a screwdriver handle it may free it up. If it is successful, you will hear it “click” which I will assume you are not hearing now.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

So I the cover on the ice maker and there was a diagram in a plastic bag inside. It didn't really have any help as far as figuring out why it wasn't working but there were some fuses on the diagram that were 120VAC. So I started thinking and put some cheater magnifying glasses on and I see the coil is 120VAC. Thought it said 12V on it. I Jumped the coil with 120VAC and it opened and the water valve filled the ice tray. I had read somewhere and cant find it now that talks about the gears in the ice maker harvest cycles getting out of sync. I'm hoping by filling the icemaker it will cycle when the water freezes and be in sync or if that doesn't work find out if a 120VAC fuse is out somewhere. There's some on a power supply board but the cover is behind the outside wall and I haven't been able to get it off. I need to make a tool to get the cover off. I love it when they make access covers on the skin of the MH to small to work on the gear inside!
Any suggestions are appreciated... BTW I had tapped the coil numerous times yesterday, thanks for the tip
RON
Old 06-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

You can cycle the icemaker manually by jumping the connectors on the front. It’s the method used for winterizing.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

Are you sure your freezer is cold enough to freeze the water? I believe there is a temp sensor that activates the solenoid. If the temp is not low enough it will not fill with water.
ICanFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #6

Duckogram not sure what 2 connectors on the front you are talking about. I don't see any on the icemaker and I've taken the side panel where the gears are off. I did jumper the relay in the outside access point and filled the icemaker with water. I thought it might start working after the ice froze but it didn't. I have the refrigerator set on 5 and its 23 degrees inside the freezing compartment.
Thanks
RON
Old 06-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

I posted pics of the icemaker i am referring to way back in another section. Ill see if i can find it.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I posted pics of the icemaker i am referring to way back in another section. Ill see if i can find it.
Could not find the photo but did find this. If you jump V - L you will cycle the fill solenoid. If you jump T - H you will bypass the temp switch. I used a piece of 12 solid but you can use a paper clip with some electrical tape to make a place to hold it.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #9

Duckogram
I'm not sure we have the same icemaker. All I can see was 2 white gears. I'll take a look today again, maybe I missed the contact points. Its hard to see the way its installed.
Thanks again
RON
Old 06-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

This is the standard for most RV applications. Had one in my double door dometic in an ‘03 Jayco and in a whirlpool residential in my Cedar Creek. The cover faces the front of the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1EEA18B3-B5A8-4A75-A2C1-A57A7E06FD5A.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	175476   Click image for larger version

Name:	E66B9799-877B-41F6-9A6C-40A896BB2BB5.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	175477  

Tags
door, refrigerator