Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #31

Thanks, Turbs

I'll dig the stool out and take a look above the slide.

Rick

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportracker View Post
Our sales rep told us the front slide with the couch only "sits" in the opening and has the potential to tip out going around a curve That seemed to make sense, but I have yet to find a good point to wedge them in. For my MH they seem a touch long. They don't wedge in flat. My concern is since they are at an angle do I now have the potential of poking holes in the walls since there is likely no frame behind the contact points.
I liked the suggestion of tying ribbon on them more though so the grand kids could twirl them and make flowing patterns ;-)
This is the only thing that makes possible sense to me if you don't use the lock rods. However I'm still skeptical. First chance I get I'm going to push at the top of the slide from the inside and see if it would move out on a turn.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #33

I forgot to but mine in on one trip and the woodruff key sheared off which allowed the slide to move freely! I didn't know this until I went around a curve and my son sitting on the couch ended up 20 inches outside the RV. I recommend using them. In my pictures I posted, those are where our owners manual says to put them.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #34
Graduate Member

Roflmao!

We thought they were for the closet! That was almost 5,000 miles ago!

Glad to see this is debated as much as the toilet additives. I'll start putting them in, but it sure is nice that enough people have other experiences that I have a pretty good idea that nothing will happen should I forget.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #35
Graduate Member

BTW, our walk-thru lasted 20 minutes.

One of the missed items was the 2nd grey water tank under the shower. Oops.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #36

Our tech at the RV dealership said the rods are stablizing rods used for travel, to ensure the slide doesn't slide out on the road, but he cautioned against their use. He said he's seen too many times where people forget to remove them when they operate their slides to the out position, damaging the cabinetry, and the exterior wall.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
Our tech at the RV dealership said the rods are stablizing rods used for travel, to ensure the slide doesn't slide out on the road, but he cautioned against their use. He said he's seen too many times where people forget to remove them when they operate their slides to the out position, damaging the cabinetry, and the exterior wall.
A red "remove before flight" flag on the slideout and the over the air antenna works great!
I use one for the ota antenna.

Turbs
Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #38

When our MH was delivered last year the rep. had no idea what those rods were, I didn't know either after a few months I cut them down to a size which fit inside of the cabinet and use them to stop things from sliding around. Still didn't know what they were until I saw this thread.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
This is the only thing that makes possible sense to me if you don't use the lock rods. However I'm still skeptical. First chance I get I'm going to push at the top of the slide from the inside and see if it would move out on a turn.

Just tried this and you can push the top of the slide out but it takes more effort than I believe you could generate in a turn before the coach would roll over. Possibly if one loaded the top cabinets with some real heavy stuff (good general practice is always load heavy stuff as low as possible anyway) you could get the slide to tip out in a quick turn. I'm not worried about this issue for my layout and loading practices.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #40

MY MH has a sway indicator light on it, if I make too sharp of a turn the light comes on and I have to stop to reset it. So I don't think I have to worry about the slide coming out.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote