Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #21

My dealer said not to install they were of no value. What value do they have?
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #22

Our sales rep told us the front slide with the couch only "sits" in the opening and has the potential to tip out going around a curve That seemed to make sense, but I have yet to find a good point to wedge them in. For my MH they seem a touch long. They don't wedge in flat. My concern is since they are at an angle do I now have the potential of poking holes in the walls since there is likely no frame behind the contact points.
I liked the suggestion of tying ribbon on them more though so the grand kids could twirl them and make flowing patterns ;-)
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #23

Did you see the pic of how I install them? Are all yours the same length? We have 2 long and one shorter because the bedroom slide on ours needs the shorter one. If they don't fit down in a manner you like I would remove the rubber end cap and trim some off with a hacksaw, just don't take off too much.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #24

White rods

I was told about these by our Tech when we picked up our 2011 Sunseeker 2650DS, we have 2 due to the slide being on the short side. We were told to put one on each end about 1 foot from the ends. They kept popping loose so we have not used them in the past 18 months. The slide is electric and stays pretty tight to the side of the unit. I do keep an eye on this but so far no creeping out.
Joerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #25

We just purchased a used 2011 2450 Sunseeker. We didn't get any braces for the slide. Do we ? How do you measure how long they need to be? What is the diameter of the brace? Thanks
chigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #26

Mine are about 1-1/1/4" in diameter with rubber tips, sort of what you would find on the end of a crutch, they were slightly longer than the distance from the inside of the slide overhead wooden trim ( this is what I have on mine ) when fully retracted to the inside wall of the coach. Make them just a bit longer so you have to slightly wedge tem into place so they don't fall out
Joerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
Love My Sunseeker

Haven't read the entire thread, but those three rods are for your slides. YOu put two of the rods (one on each side) in the longer slide for when you are traveling. The third rod goes on the smaller slide, on the top.

Those are to keep your slides in.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #28

Already found out, but thanks.
digger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #29

We just purchased our new rig a few days ago. Dealer's tech gave very weak description on the use of the slideout rods. He implied that no one ever uses them. I don't think my insurance company would be too happy if my slideout happened to open by itself and snag another vehicle headed the other way. I wouldn't be too happy either. Considering the liability issues, if nothing else, I'd still like to know where the factory says these rods should be positioned for most stability.
RickPiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPiet View Post
We just purchased our new rig a few days ago. Dealer's tech gave very weak description on the use of the slideout rods. He implied that no one ever uses them. I don't think my insurance company would be too happy if my slideout happened to open by itself and snag another vehicle headed the other way. I wouldn't be too happy either. Considering the liability issues, if nothing else, I'd still like to know where the factory says these rods should be positioned for most stability.
A lot of times there's stickers for placement if you stand on stool and look above.

I've never used slide locks .
See no reason to as long as its a mechanical slide.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #31

Thanks, Turbs

I'll dig the stool out and take a look above the slide.

Rick
RickPiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportracker View Post
Our sales rep told us the front slide with the couch only "sits" in the opening and has the potential to tip out going around a curve That seemed to make sense, but I have yet to find a good point to wedge them in. For my MH they seem a touch long. They don't wedge in flat. My concern is since they are at an angle do I now have the potential of poking holes in the walls since there is likely no frame behind the contact points.
I liked the suggestion of tying ribbon on them more though so the grand kids could twirl them and make flowing patterns ;-)
This is the only thing that makes possible sense to me if you don't use the lock rods. However I'm still skeptical. First chance I get I'm going to push at the top of the slide from the inside and see if it would move out on a turn.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #33

I forgot to but mine in on one trip and the woodruff key sheared off which allowed the slide to move freely! I didn't know this until I went around a curve and my son sitting on the couch ended up 20 inches outside the RV. I recommend using them. In my pictures I posted, those are where our owners manual says to put them.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #34
Graduate Member

Roflmao!

We thought they were for the closet! That was almost 5,000 miles ago!

Glad to see this is debated as much as the toilet additives. I'll start putting them in, but it sure is nice that enough people have other experiences that I have a pretty good idea that nothing will happen should I forget.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #35
Graduate Member

BTW, our walk-thru lasted 20 minutes.

One of the missed items was the 2nd grey water tank under the shower. Oops.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #36

Our tech at the RV dealership said the rods are stablizing rods used for travel, to ensure the slide doesn't slide out on the road, but he cautioned against their use. He said he's seen too many times where people forget to remove them when they operate their slides to the out position, damaging the cabinetry, and the exterior wall.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
Our tech at the RV dealership said the rods are stablizing rods used for travel, to ensure the slide doesn't slide out on the road, but he cautioned against their use. He said he's seen too many times where people forget to remove them when they operate their slides to the out position, damaging the cabinetry, and the exterior wall.
A red "remove before flight" flag on the slideout and the over the air antenna works great!
I use one for the ota antenna.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #38

When our MH was delivered last year the rep. had no idea what those rods were, I didn't know either after a few months I cut them down to a size which fit inside of the cabinet and use them to stop things from sliding around. Still didn't know what they were until I saw this thread.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
This is the only thing that makes possible sense to me if you don't use the lock rods. However I'm still skeptical. First chance I get I'm going to push at the top of the slide from the inside and see if it would move out on a turn.

Just tried this and you can push the top of the slide out but it takes more effort than I believe you could generate in a turn before the coach would roll over. Possibly if one loaded the top cabinets with some real heavy stuff (good general practice is always load heavy stuff as low as possible anyway) you could get the slide to tip out in a quick turn. I'm not worried about this issue for my layout and loading practices.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #40

MY MH has a sway indicator light on it, if I make too sharp of a turn the light comes on and I have to stop to reset it. So I don't think I have to worry about the slide coming out.