Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Puzzlme

3010DS Magnetic button on bathroom/shower privacy door

I really like the feature of the magnetic button on the outside bottom of the bathroom door. It keeps the door held quite firmly when open. My problem is that the magnet is so secure, the centre screw on the door side has stripped and pulled out of the door.

I don’t want to use one of those plastic plugs as I worry that it will eventually pull out and leave a big hole. What solutions have you come up with to resecure the screw/magnet? Or maybe you found a better option than the magnet?

https://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #2

You might try something like the Fast-cap SB-anchor or the hollow wall anchor both have expanding arms as you tighten the screw and spread the load out unlike a standard plastic anchor. they come in all sizes.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlme View Post
I really like the feature of the magnetic button on the outside bottom of the bathroom door. It keeps the door held quite firmly when open. My problem is that the magnet is so secure, the centre screw on the door side has stripped and pulled out of the door.

I don’t want to use one of those plastic plugs as I worry that it will eventually pull out and leave a big hole. What solutions have you come up with to resecure the screw/magnet? Or maybe you found a better option than the magnet?
i wonder if gorilla glue would work
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #4

Try breaking off small wooden match stick(s)and push it/them into the existing screw hole along with some wood glue. That will give the screw something to grab. Screw it back onto the door before the glue dries. Don't expect to ever be able to remove it.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #5

Tap in a wooden golf tee with a little glue . Take a razor knife and cut off the tee so it’s flush with the door jamb. Then put the-screw back in. Try a little tape on the magnets .
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #6

I put one of those round stick on felt furniture pads on the part which is attached to the wall. It lets the door close without that thump, and makes opening the door easier without the twang that happens, yet still allows the magnet to hold enough the door stays in place.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Thump!

Twang!

Way too technical for me without my second coffee of the day

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #8

This will be a hollow core door. There should be ay least 1 to 1 1/2 inch frame inside the door.

If the screw was into the hollow part of the door then shame on FR for poor implementation. Seadog made good suggestion regarding anchor.

If screw was into frame of door then likely screw was too small and just replace it with larger screw.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

Door Magnet

We to had an initial problem with the strength of the door magnet. We solved by putting a piece of hard plastic over the magnet. It still holds the door closed - but is easier to open.
awc4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

No magnet on the door of the 2013 2500TS,,,
Maters not,,, because I removed the door,,,
Love the added space with out it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #11

I put gorilla glue on screw threads and it holds.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I put one of those round stick on felt furniture pads on the part which is attached to the wall. It lets the door close without that thump, and makes opening the door easier without the twang that happens, yet still allows the magnet to hold enough the door stays in place.
Boy, do I like this idea! Gotta write it down to make sure it is completed before next trip. I always close this door, since DW sleeps longer than me and the 3 furkids! 🤣

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, door, roo, show, shower