Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #1

3010DS questions

Hello all,
I am considering a 2014 3010DS and have a few questions that were not covered in online literature and I have not been able to see one in person yet.

1. Is it possible to get a real sleeper sofa in place of the jackknife sofa? I need to be able to sleep two children sometimes on the sofa. If this is not possible from the factory, is there any reason I could not do this myself...i.e., something under the jackknife that does not allow full use of the space?

2. What are the actual dimensions of the shower? Is it useable for anyone larger than skinny children?

3. Is the swivel driver/passenger seat option worth it? I.e, do they work easily and really allow the use of the front seats when parked?

4. I read several threads about the small propane tank. I believe I heard that a larger tank is not available from the factory but would physically fit. Has anyone upgraded to a 18 gallon tank?. Did it work and about what does it cost aftermarket.

Thanks in advance!
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #2

I have the 2014 3010 ds, not sure about the sofa, ours is not a jacknife. The shower is small, but my brother who is 6', 200 lb fits ok, he suggests you don't drop the soap, it's hard to bend over to pick it up! I thought about the swivel front seats, but didn't get them. You can buy an aftermarket pedestal if you don't get it, then want it later. The small propane tank is ok, unless you do a lot of cold weather camping. We bring an electric heater with us and use it instead of the furnace, but that does not heat the compartments where the water is. We love the counter space in ours, and got the outside tv package. It is always a big hit during NASCAR and NFL season.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
I have the 2014 3010 ds, not sure about the sofa, ours is not a jacknife. The shower is small, but my brother who is 6', 200 lb fits ok, he suggests you don't drop the soap, it's hard to bend over to pick it up! I thought about the swivel front seats, but didn't get them. You can buy an aftermarket pedestal if you don't get it, then want it later. The small propane tank is ok, unless you do a lot of cold weather camping. We bring an electric heater with us and use it instead of the furnace, but that does not heat the compartments where the water is. We love the counter space in ours, and got the outside tv package. It is always a big hit during NASCAR and NFL season.
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate the first-hand knowledge from someone with that model. Could I ask what kind of sofa is in your unit, if not a jackknife? Perhaps I mis-read the type of sofa used on the FR website. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

It's hard to explain, it folds outward in like 3 pieces, using the cushions. I would send u pics, but it is covered and 10 below out now. Much bigger than an jacknife, but not that comfortable. I guess 2 could fit on it, but we use it for my niece, who is 10, and under 90 lbs. I would buy a air mattress to put on it if I had to sleep on it. If you have more ?, you can pm me.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
It's hard to explain, it folds outward in like 3 pieces, using the cushions. I would send u pics, but it is covered and 10 below out now. Much bigger than an jacknife, but not that comfortable. I guess 2 could fit on it, but we use it for my niece, who is 10, and under 90 lbs. I would buy a air mattress to put on it if I had to sleep on it. If you have more ?, you can pm me.

Ok, thanks! Yes, I know what kind of sofa you mean now....
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

3010DS questions

I'm 6 ft 260 and can use the shower. It's a little tight but adequate. Don't to forget you can make the dinette into a bed also. We have slept 6 adults in the Coach with the Jack knife sofa.

Also you have electric and propane for hot water. Both work well. I use electric where possible. I have no problem with the propane tank size. Plenty big enough and I've camped 50 nights the last year and a half.

If you don't use electric for hot water, you will go through propane a lot faster. The other thing you can do is run both if you need faster recovery time. I've never needed it however.

Awesome layout!
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:

Hey Mike where is the outdoor TV stored and connected?

RVFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #8

We have a 3100 but some more comments...

Shower - I am about the same size as the poster above (+ a couple inches of height) and it works just fine. But at the same time agree that you don't want to drop the soap. We had pop ups for nearly 20 years. HATED every shower in the public campground showers. This was a big attraction of the MH to me. But full size adults are fine.

Propane tank - I suppose it depends on your style. We are "on the grid" campers. We always start the fridge a day before. It ran the fridge for probably about 30 days including driving days. It ran the furnace for probably about 8 nights (supplementing an electric space heater). It ran the water heater just a couple times (use the electric option). With that use we got just under a season (April through October). Probably could have made it all the way through the season but filled it up prior to the last Halloween trip as didn't want to run out in the colder weather.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
Hello all,
I am considering a 2014 3010DS and have a few questions that were not covered in online literature and I have not been able to see one in person yet.

3. Is the swivel driver/passenger seat option worth it? I.e, do they work easily and really allow the use of the front seats when parked?

Thanks in advance!
I was interested in them but found out they were hard to get in and out of when turned around. Cause they aren't higher then ones not swiveled ones so they are like sitting on the floor if that makes sense.
Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Here is the sofa.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8332499&type=1

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Thank you! That is a little different than what I was thinking but looks like it would work for my needs. Any idea of the actual dimensions of it in bed form? By looking at it, I am guessing a "short double", or something like 54 wide and maybe 75 long?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Overall length of the sofa is 68". Pretty sure it is an RV Queen give to take an inch. So it will be 60"x74"

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
I'm 6 ft 260 and can use the shower. It's a little tight but adequate. Don't to forget you can make the dinette into a bed also. We have slept 6 adults in the Coach with the Jack knife sofa.

Also you have electric and propane for hot water. Both work well. I use electric where possible. I have no problem with the propane tank size. Plenty big enough and I've camped 50 nights the last year and a half.

If you don't use electric for hot water, you will go through propane a lot faster. The other thing you can do is run both if you need faster recovery time. I've never needed it however.

Awesome layout!
Thanks...I am about your size and the largest of our group so it sounds like the shower would work. Yes, I did remember the bed in the dinnette, which is actually long enough for an adult in this layout...there will just be a handful of times that we actually need 2 children on the couch.

Good point about the propane and hot water etc. I don't do a lot of cold weather camping so I am starting to think I will be ok with the smaller tank. And from what I read, the 9.8 gallons listed is the actual usable amount in the tank (ie tanks size is actally 12.5). My last coach had a 14 gal tank so its not really as much smaller as I had thought.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Overall length of the sofa is 68". Pretty sure it is an RV Queen give to take an inch. So it will be 60"x74"
Great! That should work well for my 2 girls...both are lightweights and the tallest is only 5'5" Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
We have a 3100 but some more comments...

Shower - I am about the same size as the poster above (+ a couple inches of height) and it works just fine. But at the same time agree that you don't want to drop the soap. We had pop ups for nearly 20 years. HATED every shower in the public campground showers. This was a big attraction of the MH to me. But full size adults are fine.

Propane tank - I suppose it depends on your style. We are "on the grid" campers. We always start the fridge a day before. It ran the fridge for probably about 30 days including driving days. It ran the furnace for probably about 8 nights (supplementing an electric space heater). It ran the water heater just a couple times (use the electric option). With that use we got just under a season (April through October). Probably could have made it all the way through the season but filled it up prior to the last Halloween trip as didn't want to run out in the colder weather.
Thanks! It sounds like we will all fit in the shower!

That is also good info about the propane usage...I am thinking now that the smaller tank size won't be much of an issue for the way we travel...We do a lot of spring and fall trips but are rarely out when its below freezing. I am also probably going to get the heat pump option on the AC which should help for those chilly mornings (45-50 or so) when we just need to take the chill off.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky View Post
I was interested in them but found out they were hard to get in and out of when turned around. Cause they aren't higher then ones not swiveled ones so they are like sitting on the floor if that makes sense.
Thanks for the feedback on the swivels....I sort of thought that may be the case. My nearly 50 year old knees probably won't like them being that low. However, since they aren't that expensive to add, I may get them just to add a few seats for the kids from time to time...probably won't end up using them much!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #17

The outdoor TV is in a compartment right next to the coach door. That is the same compartment that holds the garbage can. (the counter has a cutout w/ cover so you can put the garbage in) The TV has a radio under it w/ a jack for Ipod, and a cd player. It is a great feature. Here is a link to one w/ the outdoor TV.

New 2013 Forest River RV Sunseeker 3010DS Ford Motor Home Class C at Scott Motor Coach Sales, Inc Lakewood New Jersey Scott Motor Coach Sales, Inc
Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #18

No personal experience here but if you are considering an outdoor TV, you might want to think through where you are going to store the unit. If you are storing the unit at a storage lot, I would think an outdoor TV would be an easy target for thieves.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #19

My outdoor tv compartment has a special security lock on it, different that all other compartment keys. Forest river thought ahead on that one!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #20

I'm not talking the type of people who use keys. That's to discourage your neighbor from bringing his chips & CH751 key over to watch the game at your unit. I'm talking more about people who use crowbars.