Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
Site Team

3010DS sunseeker

I took a quick look at the c class today on a local lot. It's a 2019 model. Ford F450, V10 gas.
Has 4000w Onan.
Would like to pick your brains a little if you have this same unit, or very similar.
Will one 15000 a/c cool it in Louisiana heat?
Is the short queen bed and issue for a 5'10" man?
Is the Zamp solar system worth it?
Etc.
Thanks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

Our AC kept ours cool in temps up to 100deg this spring in South TX so they do work pretty well.

I am 5' 11'' and find the bed to be long enough to stretch out. My head is pretty close to the wall but I fit ok. When I lie on my stomach I prefer to hang my toes over the end anyway. When on my side it is fine.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

My unit is similar and we have the Atwood Air Command 15k BTU Heatpump. It cools just fine here in South Florida 95* and 95% humidity. The heat pump function is kind of a waste with this unit. But its very quiet.

I’m 69” (and shrinking) and had no problem with an RV Short mattress.

As for the solar, I opted to use a Renogy 100w briefcase model and made an adapter for the zamp plug. Works great and I can use it on anything 12v. I can also park in the shade and still get full sun on the panels. Cant do that with a roof mount. I also park at home during the winter so I can keep my batts topped off and ready to go. The Renogy is 1/3 the cost of a Zamp.

The overall quality of the Sunseeker/Forester is better than average. I’m happy with mine. Check my “2800QS Mods” thread for details on “stuff”.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Thanks guys. Good to hear. Didn't know there were options to the Zamp. Good to know.
What about mpg and keeping cool while driving? Are you comfortable with dash a/c or do you need gen and roof a/c also in high heat.
Duckogram, this one has the same 15k a/c. Manager says it puts out at 18k. Interesting.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Our AC kept ours cool in temps up to 100deg this spring in South TX so they do work pretty well.

I am 5' 11'' and find the bed to be long enough to stretch out. My head is pretty close to the wall but I fit ok. When I lie on my stomach I prefer to hang my toes over the end anyway. When on my side it is fine.
If it handles s Texas, that's good enough for me. I've been in San Antonio in August! Whew!

Old 05-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

That 18k is an advertising “statistic” or an “equivalency” number. It’s really a 15k unit.
Atwood RV Air Conditioners

As for economy, can’t give you a comparison on that. Mine is lighter, lower, narrower and more aerodynamic.
I also have a 5star tune added. I got 8.5 on my first trip towing.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Ooops, forgot to mention the Cockpit A/C. My DW made an insulated curtain that goes behind the seats and closes the front off. The A/C will frost your eyeballs in full sun.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Yeah, I thought it should have a privacy curtain behind driver's seat also but I guess not. Easy fix tho it seems. I only get 9.5 with my TV and fiver now so 8.5 isn't bad.
Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Chief tinkerer

dcheatwood, we have the 2017. Cooling the coach with one 15k unit works in the South as long as you plan ahead and keep it cool. But just as you would in your 5er, if you leave camp in the cool of the morning to go out and explore nature, leave the AC on so it does not sit there and become an oven. Same if you are travelling during the heat of the day and want to sleep cool..... turn it on during the last hour of your drive. The length of the bed doesn't bother me at 6'2, but if it bothers you you can always pull the mattress towards the foot a little and fill the gap at the head with a piece of pre-cut foam where your pillows will be. We don't use solar, sorry. But we do use gasoline at the rate of about 7.5 towing the car running 60-65.
This is a great floor plan. We even have room to throw blow up beds on the floor to sleep extra kiddo's. Our only concern was privacy with the shower when our grandkids were with us and needed to go to the bathroom while someone was showering. Solved that with one of those spring loaded curtain rods above the shower door and a "non see through" shower curtain hanging outside the door.
An unexpected bonus with the curtain when the grands aren't with us, is leaving the shower door open and the curtain on the inside gives you more room in the shower. You can thank me for NOT including a picture, heh heh.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
dcheatwood, we have the 2017. Cooling the coach with one 15k unit works in the South as long as you plan ahead and keep it cool. But just as you would in your 5er, if you leave camp in the cool of the morning to go out and explore nature, leave the AC on so it does not sit there and become an oven. Same if you are travelling during the heat of the day and want to sleep cool..... turn it on during the last hour of your drive. The length of the bed doesn't bother me at 6'2, but if it bothers you you can always pull the mattress towards the foot a little and fill the gap at the head with a piece of pre-cut foam where your pillows will be. We don't use solar, sorry. But we do use gasoline at the rate of about 7.5 towing the car running 60-65.
This is a great floor plan. We even have room to throw blow up beds on the floor to sleep extra kiddo's. Our only concern was privacy with the shower when our grandkids were with us and needed to go to the bathroom while someone was showering. Solved that with one of those spring loaded curtain rods above the shower door and a "non see through" shower curtain hanging outside the door.
An unexpected bonus with the curtain when the grands aren't with us, is leaving the shower door open and the curtain on the inside gives you more room in the shower. You can thank me for NOT including a picture, heh heh.
Good info. I thought about the shower privacy. Curtain rod sounds easy enough. Really would like 50amp w/ dual ACs.
Thanks for the information.

Tags
sunseeker