Old 10-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

3050 slide defect

My wife and I just purchased a new 2014 Sunseeker 3050. As soon as we drove it off the lot, we began hearing a series of cracking/popping sounds from the area behind the drivers head at the slide seam. We have driven approximately 100 miles since we purchased it, and the sound has progressed to a metal rattling sound.

We took it to the dealer last week, and we're told initially that there was nothing holding the slide in and that they would have a forest river rep look at it. As of today, we have been told that the rep met with the service tech. They indicated that the screws have torn out of the frame, and the dealer will have to create a new mounting system for the side frame screws. They don't know what this will entail yet, and indicated that it may require repainting of portions of the motorhome.

I have seen other posts regarding the strange slide sounds on the 3050. Is this something defective with the 3050 and is this repair going to be something that will last? Can't say I am too impressed with our first motorhome purchase. Not even three weeks old and we are having to wait for the dealer to cobble together some sort of new mounting assembly.

Hopefully someone has been through this slide issue on the 3050 and has some positive outcome to share?

Old 10-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

You are not alone on this problem, myself and at least one other has posted about this problem with the wall slide bracket. Mine was repaired by installing larger screws in were the others had striped out. The factory rep who is on this forum saw my pictures and said that it should be riveted in not screws. Mine has held up so far ( been about six months now) but mine is back in dealer for repairs to the slide out gear set (has been there five weeks now and still not fixed waiting for parts!!) Good luck with yours and keep posting on repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide problems 001.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	64507  

wana65stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

"Good" news I hope... Dealer said that they are waiting for FR to authorize the repair, but will remove the whole slide and then install a wood/metal framework so the screws actually have something to bite into. They assured me that they will fix it right and not just stick in more screws to pull loose.

Seems like a poor design/known flaw with the 3050's.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

I have a feeling we'll see the Schwintek slide system disappear in the future, or at least I hope they do. Poor design with tons of failures across the industry. They only seem to work ok on smaller slides.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
GM

I am the rep that dropped in today and that was not exactly the conversation that we had (not denying that was the conversation that you had). In 10 years on this side I am now used to the "operator-operator" way things seem to work.

The main slide bracket was about 1/2" off, which means JUST the top (2) screws were not lined up like they should be. They never ripped out, they just missed in the first place. The slide was running in and out properly, but was not fastened as it should have been and I agreed, if left unattended you would see problems down the road. "Nothing holding the slide in" was a bit of a misrepresentation. The rear slide frame was just fine, the front was off...but just 2 of the 8-10 screws missed. Still 2 too many. When I left, we both agreed that NO repainting would be necessary. With those 2 screws missing, there was just too much play in the slide bracket. Should be a relatively easy fix, notes will be placed in the file, we will certainly make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnlisa View Post
My wife and I just purchased a new 2014 Sunseeker 3050. As soon as we drove it off the lot, we began hearing a series of cracking/popping sounds from the area behind the drivers head at the slide seam. We have driven approximately 100 miles since we purchased it, and the sound has progressed to a metal rattling sound.

We took it to the dealer last week, and we're told initially that there was nothing holding the slide in and that they would have a forest river rep look at it. As of today, we have been told that the rep met with the service tech. They indicated that the screws have torn out of the frame, and the dealer will have to create a new mounting system for the side frame screws. They don't know what this will entail yet, and indicated that it may require repainting of portions of the motorhome.

I have seen other posts regarding the strange slide sounds on the 3050. Is this something defective with the 3050 and is this repair going to be something that will last? Can't say I am too impressed with our first motorhome purchase. Not even three weeks old and we are having to wait for the dealer to cobble together some sort of new mounting assembly.

Hopefully someone has been through this slide issue on the 3050 and has some positive outcome to share?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

Brian, thanks for your work on this. I REALLY appreciate the time you took to go by the dealer and look into this. I also appreciate the effort to explain what the problem was. My info was coming from the counter guy who was relaying info in pieces from the techs. Obviously I got it wrong. Even though it is only a few missed screws, FR's commitment to repair it correctly to avoid future problems is VERY impressive.

My opinion of FR has changed greatly over the last day due to the communication I have received and the commitment to make things "right." I have always dreaded purchasing a new vehicle and dealing with service issues. Can't say I've ever been this impressed!

Many thanks for your presence on the forums and your commitment to your customers!!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
GM

No, no..like I said, I don't think you got it wrong, just the interpretation from shop guy (who I spoke with) to desk guy that you spoke with. Unfortunately happens all the time.

The key now is to make sure it gets done in a timely manner.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #8

This same thing has happened to my 2014 3050,,, I too heard the creaking noise the first couple thousand miles, and then this Summer noticed that the slide-out frame ( in the same location as the other picture posted here ) has pulled away about a 1/4 inch. My 1 year warranty has just expired and I am hoping the dealer can get me in to fix this. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413327920.756780.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	64751Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413327947.620177.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	64752

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

Hey bclemens, are we starting to see a trend ?
wana65stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
GM

Hope not. We've been putting 1/4" expandable rivets in as an extra line of defense. Lippert says they re not necessary. We feel like its better to be safe than sorry.

Tags
305, slide