Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

3050s AC performance (and upgrade)

I'm less than impressed with the AC performance on our 2014 3050. On an 85° day, after several hours of cooling (with the main cooling vent open), the trailer temperature only made it down to 82. I'm to the point where I want to ditch the 13,500 btu unit that was supplied by the factory, and upgrade it with one of the 18,000 BTU equivalent units supplied by Atwood. Atwood claims that you can run two of these units on a 30 amp service, allowing for future installation of a second unit if one can't handle the load. Anyone tackle a similar project? I'm assuming I will also need to change out the thermostat, correct?
mattnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #2

Atwood units are only 15k BTUs, I don't know what they mean by 18k equivalent. You will never run two of the 15k units on a 30 amp service unless you sit in the dark with the battery charger off.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

It was all our 15k could do to maintain cold temps in our 3121 Forester. We put the reflective bubble insulation cut to fit in the windows, and also baffled the end of the duct runs since air leaked into the front cap and everywhere else. This made a big difference. On the thermostat, yes, you'd probably have to change it if you swap from dometic. I'm guessing you have the smaller square t-stat, which is only 3 wires. After numorous issues with these newer dometics, I won't own another. I'll stick with coleman or something else. Changed too many t-stats and control boxes.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Then again, I don't know if FR ran 7+ wires and only used 3, or just ran 3. I can't remember but I had that conversation before and can't remember the answer I received.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Find shade if you can. 15K will not offer much improvement. Make sure outlets are clear and pointed away from intake.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnlisa View Post
I'm less than impressed with the AC performance on our 2014 3050. On an 85° day, after several hours of cooling (with the main cooling vent open), the trailer temperature only made it down to 82. I'm to the point where I want to ditch the 13,500 btu unit that was supplied by the factory, and upgrade it with one of the 18,000 BTU equivalent units supplied by Atwood. Atwood claims that you can run two of these units on a 30 amp service, allowing for future installation of a second unit if one can't handle the load. Anyone tackle a similar project? I'm assuming I will also need to change out the thermostat, correct?
Have you had your unit checked? I have a 2015 Rockwood. First time out with it a couple weeks ago, my AC did the same thing. Ran for hours and the camper was barley cool. I had it tested and it turned out to be a factory defect. The new one is on the way.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

We have a sunseeker 3010 with 15 BTU unit have camped several times in Tucson Az in 90 + days with little shade. Temp inside stays at 75 or less. Have Camco vent cushion insulators on all vents, in the shower skylight I made my own insulator using 2 layers of 1 1/2" rigid foam board I got at home depot.

Sometimes we use a portable fan to help circulate the air. We close the curtain on the upper bunk and place the inside cab curtain behind the front seats to restrict air from entering the cab area. The rear bedroom door is left closed during the day. Windshield covers are on the outside and inside of the glass. Hope this helps.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #8

We had the 15K A/C in our 2015 Solera checked and were basically told " The New Green A/C's" just don't work as well as the older units.

We just had it rechecked by a local RV service guy who came highly recommended. What he found was the duct-work in the ceiling went front to back the full length of the coach, well past the last louvers. Further one the ducts appeared to be damaged from install and his remote camera showed the back wall of the RV and framing. Also the "rubbery sealing tape" inside the unit that was supposed to separate the cold air from the hot return air was poorly applied and not sealed well.

He wedged Styrofoam blocks in the ducts front and back after the last sets of louvers and resealed the the inside of the A/C. And we watched our thermometer start going down when we turned the A/C on !!!! We have renewed hopes for the first 100+ degree camping trip ahead. The last one we could only get down to the mid 90's.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, 3050s, upgrade