Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #1

3050S leaking around slide ...

We've had a rainy couple of weekends and this week I noticed water on the linoleum floor in 3 different spots (in front of bathroom sink, in front of stove, and in front of dinette) when the slide was in. Not a lot of water, but still enough to make me concerned. I opened the slide to see if I could trace where the water is coming from, couldn't really see anything. It's definitely coming from the slide side. The RV is slightly sloped where parked and the water on the floor was going away from the slide. The rubber gaskets - both when open and closed - all look fine around the slide. The slide toper doesn't have any holes and I didn't see any water on the top of the slide when it was retracted.

Any suggestions on where they might look for a leak if the rubber gaskets are OK? I don't remember seeing any leaks last year. And the RV was in the shop over the winter fixing issues with the creaking noise in the slide. I just have to wonder if perhaps there is some adjustment that needs to be made - maybe the slide needs to close another 1/4 inch or something to get a really right seal around the unit?

Can't get an appointment with the dealer until the middle of May - right at the start of prime time camping season. UGH! I love the layout of the RV, etc... but I wasn't expecting to have such major issues with a new RV. Hopefully they will fix this and I'll be a happy camper again.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

leaking 3050S ...

Well we finally got the RV back after repairs. They ended up replacing some more things on the slide (replaced some tape over facia, replaced chewed up gears on slide out rails). And after the first rain it's still leaking!

This is not anywhere close to what I was expecting with a new RV.

Sorry to rant, just had to vent my frustration somewhere.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
GM

The weird part is...none of those areas where you see water are near a slide opening. Unless the water is bouncing off the ground and UP into the bottom of the slide.

But you say you get this with the slides closed? Check the skylights? There is one over the dinette, over the bathroom sink...not sure how to explain the one at the stove. Run some water on the skylights. Maybe there is a seal void or something came loose.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Thanks Brian for the reply! I called the dealer today and I will be bringing it in as soon as we finish our 2-week vacation. They are squeezing me in.

I can reach under the slide when closed with my fingers and can feel water on the underneath side. Not the floor but the smooth underneath side of the slide. I think the water is accumulating enough on the bottom that it's then dripping from the bottom of the slide and then onto the linoleum at different spots.

I think they thought the slide was not closing tight enough to get a proper seal around the entire slide.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
GM

Well....there is also plumbing in that slide out. Water could be coming from a plumbing item and pooling the exact same way.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

... but I only see water on days it rains... I'll keep you all posted on any updates in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

John, my hot water tank under the sink had
a slow leak, check to make sure when under
pressure it is not leaking. Rainy days are
a bummer.

phelpo
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

It's been a while since I posted an update. It hasn't rained that much I guess.

After this weekend, I have discovered the unit is still leaking. None of the repairs they have done seems to have made a difference. And to make matters worse, I have found rotten plywood on the floor now.

The unit was purchased in July 2013. I can only hope all of the repairs will be covered under the manufacture warranty since the problems were reported well within the 1 year warranty.

I have to admit, the leak seems bizarre. The water dripping onto the linoleum (in several spots) is coming from the bottom of the slide. Itís not coming in from the outside along the floor. If I stick my fingers under the slide (between the floor and the slide) while itís retracted in, you can feel water on the underneath portion of the slide. Itís not on the floor until after it drips off the underneath of the slide. It canít be a plumbing leak because it only happens when it rains. Once it drips on the floor, itís runs across the linoleum and is getting into the plywood along the edges of the floor.

The RV has been to the dealer twice for the same leaks. They have replaced portions of the slide motor (different issue) and gears, put new taping along top of slide, re-caulked the slide area, re-caulked along the windows on the slide. Now they still have to find the leak and fix rotten plywood!

As Iíve said before, I really like the layout of the RV. But this is not what I expected when purchasing a new RV! Iím praying that my 3-week vacation out west in September can still happen.

Weíll see what my dealer says today.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #9

I had two leaks at my side windows, one on the living area slide wall and the other on the window across from the slide. Both showed their leaks differently.
The one in the slide - when it leaked it would dribble water onto the sill under window behind the couch. I thought it was water leaking from the window track. The dealer found when they removed the window that the exterior window frame gasket wasn't all the way to the outer edge.
As luck would have it, when the window is inserted into the framed opening in the slide side wall, the gasket was positioned so far inward from the edge on one top corner that it only covered the rough-in opening. Rain would run down the side wall and channel behind the window frame gasket then into the wall behind the interior luan sheeting then gather on the floor at the base of the slide out floor. When it rained heavily, it would then overcome the path within the luan and roll out onto the wooden window sill.

The window leak across from that one was caused by a tear-out of the fiberglass material that created a crease in the gasket that channeled water to the inside of the coach. The tear-out of the fiberglass is assumed to have been caused by the cut out of the waster material in the wall where the window was to go. The tear-out fashioned a lip in the gasket - preventing a monolithic seal. This particular window only leaked onto the floor. Luckily I had been watching EVERY window and the floor below them for signs of leaks. That saved me some possible serious damage to catch it. It never puddled because I have carpet in those areas.
It seems you and your dealer have checked and rechecked all the other possible causes but you might have the windows and other panels (water heater for example) for possible sources of your leak.

The out of sight leaks are the hardest and the most damaging because you don't know you have a problem until a floor suddenly goes soft.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #10

I dropped it off yesterday at the dealer. They have one of those machines that pressurizes the RV so you can then spray soapy water and look for bubbles (aka. leaks). They are confident they will find the leak.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Tags
305, 3050s, leak, slide