Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

3170 a/c question

We just got back from our first extended trip in our new to us 3170 Sunseeker. When I turn the a/c on it stays on all the time and does not shut off automatically and then turn back on once the temp goes above desired temp. My friend was travelling in a Thor Freedom Elite and his air turned on and off automatically. Mine seems like all or nothing. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Ridpath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Empty Nesters

In my Sunseeker I need to make sure that the thermostat FAN is set to the AUTO mode. Before you turn on the COOLING function go to the FAN function and scroll through LOW, and HIGH to AUTO. See if that fixes your problem.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Yup.....make sure you’re set to “AUTO”

That should run the A/C until it reaches the temperature then shut off until the temp rises above your setting.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Sunseeker 3010DS

Yup, Auto will do it!
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

Great, I will check it out tonite, thanks.
Ridpath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 AM   #6

The Atwood, now Dometic, 1361B ducted roof air of my 2018 Sunseeker runs the inside fan whenever the system is in the cooling mode. Auto does nothing other than cause the unit to vary the fan speed between high, medium, and low. If the “auto” setting is going to shut the unit down, it ought to do it when the coach is cooled to 70-desgess and the thermostat is raised to 80-degrees and mine does not work like that, so maybe mine is broken. I actually prefer my unit to run the fan as the unit is extremely quiet in operation, I prefer to have the air circulating at low speed so it does not become stratified with hot air at the top and cold at the bottom of the coach. The Atwood units have two fan motors unlike some RV AC’s. The condenser fan only runs when the compressor runs and it runs at constant speed. The inside fan for the evaporator is controlled based on the thermostat setting but always runs on my unit whenever in the cooling mode. The unit is so quiet in operation, it is virtually unnoticeable when the compressor cycles on and off inside the coach. The other very surprising thing about these Atwood units is the fact they are engineered to start and run on only 2,000-watt generators. The low current draw is truly amazing with mine drawing less than 1,100 watts when running on the low fan setting.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

So many answers that could be correct but they are all just a shot in the dark until the OP sheds light on which model he/she has.

Tags