Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

3170 Black Tank Access

I'm curious how to access the black tank flush on my 3170. I can see the bottom of the tank near the valve access, but no sign of the flush.
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

I'm not sure if all 3170s are equipped with a black tank flush, but if your rig does have one like mine does, it is located near the city water/fresh water connection which is on the side of the motorhome. Hope this helps.
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

I have the black tank flush near the fresh water outside. I was looking to access the mechanism to fix it.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #4

I apologize! I wasn't quite sure what you were asking there, but in that case I do not know where the black tank flush access is.
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Normally the "flush" is mounted thru the side of the tank.
Mount half or 3/4 the way up the side.
It may be necessary to pull the tank to access.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #6

The black tank on our 3100 is mostly hidden by a white trim panel.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #7

Chad, in the water filter compartment you will see black vertical panel with the access door on it. Connected to that panel at the top is a another panel enclosure that follows along the bottom side of the coach. You need to remove that panel which is also screwed into the bottom side of the coach floor. Once that panel has been removed you will be able to see the black tank and the flushing device. There maybe some furnace ductwork and 12 volt wiring in the way but it is easily moved.
You will need a stubby phillips screw driver to get to some of the mounting screws.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Thanks. I got at it tonight. I did find the nozzle full of tissue (guessing it came from the black tank back in through the nozzle). Two questions, what did you use to replace the black sealant that was originally there, and with the nozzle cleaned, should I be able to easily blow air from the outside inlet through to the tank? The reason I'm asking is I have it winterized and don't want to attempt water, but it seems that I still cannot blow air through the whole system. I was guessing the valve in the washroom should open when I force air into the system, but perhaps I'm wrong. Any idea?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.wiseman View Post
Two questions, what did you use to replace the black sealant that was originally there?
I used a sealant like EternaBond. Not caulk tape. The EternaBond like stuff uses the same adhesive mastic. I got some from Camping World but most RV shops will have this stuff in short strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.wiseman View Post
and with the nozzle cleaned, should I be able to easily blow air from the outside inlet through to the tank? The reason I'm asking is I have it winterized and don't want to attempt water, but it seems that I still cannot blow air through the whole system. I was guessing the valve in the washroom should open when I force air into the system, but perhaps I'm wrong. Any idea?
When I removed the nozzle - I blew my nozzle out using my garden hose with a jet stream sprayer (sanitizing everything beforehand of course).
I installed the nozzle bank onto the tank and reconnected the water flushing line. I ran water through the nozzle via the black tank flush connector. You don't need to run any water to the coach interior water lines - just connect the black tank flush then blow the air through the line. You will need to dump the water in the black tank that went through the flusher if you want to get back to the winterized condition.

Bobby
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

Thanks. Why wouldn't one be able to push air through? I see the preferred method being water, but I'm wondering why air cannot push through. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #11

Air won't produce the same flow. If you want to know that water will pass through all the ports of the sprayer - water is the only way to test for full flow.

You can use air but with having to go through all the work to get to the sprayer I suggest a water flow test.
I also chased all the ports with a small drill bit.

Tags
3170, black, black tank, tank