Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

This is was I was wondering as well. I had a 2008 F-350 with the V-10. With the fifth wheel and the family inside we were close to 21000 lbs combined and the truck had no problems with that weight. Fuel economy was horrible but that a different story.

If I put a higher capacity hitch on the MH, I should be able to flat tow up to 8000 lbs.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
GM

My personal opinion is that the Ford is rated for the weight. The weak link is the hitch, you would just have to beef that up, then avoid drag racing or stopping on a dime.

I'm not advocating to do it...but I know people that tow heavier trailers and vehicles. I have not personally heard of them having any issues.

Check with MotocrossCamper. He's the one that was towing a 7k trailer. Not even sure he upgraded the hitch.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #13

I think a Class A is more up your alley. I'm not disagreeing with BC (he is great!) but the E450 is at it's chassis limits with the current RV house on the chassis. Your not going to have a lot of room on CC if you load as your stating, Class A's have much more buffer on loading, and much more room on towing. The F53 Chassis that is used in a Class A is beefier then the cut and re-welded extended E450 frame.

A F150 behind a Class C is, IMHO, beyond it's capabilities.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Plain Old Member

Just a note on the F53, they are just as easy or easier to overload. 22.5k gross, 26k combined or there abouts. Their frames are stretched as well on some models, at least mine was. With a huge amount of basement and interior storage, you'll exceed your gross weight before it's full if not careful, leaving you very little towing room. However, they do make a 24k F53 chassis now with a higher gcwr. Only difference in class c and a drive train wise, is the A has a shade more HP and a lower rear gear. I like the power to weight ratio better in the class c. Just more info for the memory bank.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

It is a tough choice. Another option I considered was a Ford Flex instead of the F-150. It can still be towed flat, weighs less than a pickup, and can still seat the family in comfort. I prefer trucks, but I am sure I could like the flex.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

We can relate to that. We really wanted to tow the truck or SUV, but bought the Honda instead. i just wanted the extra weight cushion. Didn't want to push our luck being new to motorhomes at the time. It fits all of us, still has the hatch back for groceries, makes a good work car and still gets 35-40 mpg. Bought it second handed just for a toad and work / runaround car. Sounds like the Flex may be a good option, or any mid sized outfit like that.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Just a note on the F53, they are just as easy or easier to overload. 22.5k gross, 26k combined or there abouts. Their frames are stretched as well on some models, at least mine was. With a huge amount of basement and interior storage, you'll exceed your gross weight before it's full if not careful, leaving you very little towing room. However, they do make a 24k F53 chassis now with a higher gcwr. Only difference in class c and a drive train wise, is the A has a shade more HP and a lower rear gear. I like the power to weight ratio better in the class c. Just more info for the memory bank.
Maybe these numbers are true in older F53 models, but they went through an upgrade 2 years ago. A similar floorplan, the Georgetown 350TS has a 24K GVWR and a 30K GCWR. The poster is concerned since they have a family with lots of gear - the Georgetown (or similar Class A) is much more capable to haul the gear.

Georgetown XL Class A Motorhome by Forest River

The F53's in the Georgetown are as spec'd, not cut chassis.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Guess the 24k chassis has been out longer than I thought. They were definitely still using the 22.5k last year. Tiffin just started with the 24k in 2013. I'm still a little green to FR, so you probably have better info than me. The 24k would definitely suit the op's needs weight wise. My only concern, having owned one, is lack of power for a coach like we had. We were loaded, and the v-10 would do its job fair, so all the additional weight that the newer chassis allows with the same drive train just concerns me. I hope ford will up the engine or HP soon.

To the OP. I'd suggest driving several of each. You might prefer one over the other. We made a $100k mistake, traded out and got into our class c after 7 months of the class A. It just didn't fit us or our style of camping. I wish you luck as its a huge decision.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #19

I did look at a class A with bunks at the RV show last month. We liked most of it. What we did not like was that 2 kids would be in the bunks. Where would the other 2 sleep? The idea of setting up and tearing down a sofa or dinette every night would get old quick BTDT. That is why the class C is more appealing.

Maybe we will take the stuff out of the fifth wheel and see how much weight would normally sit in be unit. Maybe we are not as heavy as we thought. If we are, we will see if there is anything we can leave out. If it looks like we will be heavy, I guess we will keep what we have. I stated earlier that what we have now works okay. The MH would just be nicer to travel in.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
Plain Old Member

We definitely have dealt with adding and subtracting stuff. Fifth wheel to trailer, lost stuff, trailer to class A, gained a lot, A to C, lost a few things. When we unloaded the A, we had two long rows of items. We just started with the must have, then the would like to have, then the really don't need pile. Amazing what you accumulate over time. The smaller C works, but there are those days I wish I could have some of those left out items. All in what you get used to. Might be worth weighing stuff that you have as mentioned, then at least you'll have a ballpark figure to work with.

Tags