Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #21
Commercial Member

As an added benefit on the Class C 3170, we took a seatbelt out of the sofa (only 2 now) and added (2) to the rear sofa. Most Class C's and Class A's with bunks have 2 beds in the back. We're the only MFG that does a jack knife sofa. Which means the kids can sit back there while driving and have a seatbelt. I know it doesn't solve the weight issue, but it's nice to spread out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #22

Can I retro-fit this seat belt re-arrange on a 2012 model?
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Not really. We had to add structure to the slide floor so that it would pass the pull test.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #24

I wanted to add - if you are still committed to the Class C (I did, I prefered the driving style) you can make small changes that remove a lot of weight. I've been cross-country in our Forester with my family and my family + my BIL/SIL from NM to AZ to see the Grand Canyon.

Change out glass or cermaic dishes and bowls for paper/plastic. Ditch the silverware and go disposible. They also sell "re-usable" disposable silverware that is a heavier plastic and can be washed. Pack 3 days of clothes - not 2 weeks worth. Find a campground or local coin-operated wash/dry location (ever weigh a pair of jeans? depending on brand they are 2-4 pounds each). Bring Lynx levelers in place of heavy 2x6" or 2x8" planks, bring bag chairs in place of the heavier fold out and reclining lounge chairs, don't carry firewood, buy it local to the campground - it's bad for the enviroment anywaays (bugs that can hitch a ride to new locations).

There are many other "little" things that can eliminate hundreds of pounds in wasteful packing.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #25

To figure out how much you can load the 3170 you're talking about, download the 2013 Sunseeker brochure from the Forest River website. The Net Cargo Capacity is listed, along with the Unladen Vehicle Wieght.

The weights of gasoline (55 gallons = 330 pounds), LP gas (about 40 pounds) and water (8.34 pounds per gallon) are not included in the UVW. You will likely need some water in the fresh water tank to take care of the toilet. You may plan to never travel with water in the tanks, but I'll bet your wife and kids will want to use the toilet.

Actually, some of the tow bar weight will be on the hitch, but that amount of weight will probably be lost in the guesses for everything else.

Sunseeker Class C Motorhome Downloads by Forest River
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
Commercial Member

gasoline is included in the UVW, at least it used to be.

UVW (unloaded vehicle weight): the weight of the motorhme as built at the factory with full fuel, engine oil and coolants. The UVW does NOT include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, occupants or dealer-installed accessories.

I would look at one on the lot, check the yellow sticker on the door. That will show the actually weight of the vehicle (including options, etc) as it came off the line at the factory. We weigh each and every unit now.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #27

I stand corrected on UVW.

Thanks
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #28

3170 owner

Own a 2011 Sunseeker 3170 for 2 years. No problems w/exception of bunk area slide. Had been sluggish from start (bought new). We are selling to buy larger Class A (big husband and G'kids don't travel since in school and in ball tournaments year round). We need more living room space, not sleeping areas now. We just paid local rv shop to "adjust the slide" and it went from sluggish to almost inoperable. Took 2 hrs away to larger rv dealer in hopes to undo last adjustment and hopefully correct slide problem. We are selling privately since trade-in allowance is half of what they put in on lot to retail. Hopefully passing on savings to individual and not padding rv dealer pockets. Don't mind someone making some money on selling, but outrageous differences from trade-in to retail. Repairing slide as not to pass on problems to prospective campers! Won't sell unless everything is perfect. Have been a camper since a very young child (tent camping in Alaska to now motoring around USA with retired militry husband. Love it and just the best way to travel for families! Just be sure your slide operate fantastic from the start.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #29

Mike, here is a pic of our setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3268174411.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	24495

4kids, you will have no problem towing a f-150 behind you. My hitch is rated at 3500 pounds. That trailer weighs almost 7000 pounds with 800 or more pounds of tongue weight. Been towing it that way almost every weekend for 4 years.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #30

An update for those who were following. The wife and I went to look at the MH again and I looked at the yellow sticker in the door. 1900lbs CCC. Today I had a chance to visit our fifth wheel and I weighed all the stuff that we leave in the trailer over the winter which is basically everything but clothes food, water, bikes. The total wieght was 340 lbs. Our family comes in at 600 lbs and the 6 bikes are 128. lbs. by my math that leaves me about 830 lbs for food, water, clothes and a few things the kids would like to bring.

Looks like my fears of not enough CCC were for not.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #31

Sounds like you may have felt there was more then what was actually in the camper then you implied. I know for a fact that we packed more then that in our Forester, so your good to go!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #32
Plain Old Member

Well that's great news. Heck, go for it. You should be fine. Just be sure to account for a little fresh water and black water.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #33

Update

Well the deal we had in place for the Sunseeker in question fell through BUT..... we found a brand new 2013 Forester 3171DS with all of the options at a local dealer. After a little back and forth dialogue with the owner we came to deal that made us both happy. So on May 15 we will be picking up our brand new unit

Looking forward to the good times ahead. As far as the toad issue. We will do one of two things.
1. Just rent a van for 2 weeks when we get to our destination or
2. Buy a used dolly and pull our Honda Odyssey behind.

Tough to find a 7 passenger vehicle to toad that will fit our budget and be in decent condition. So towing our Honda seems like a good choice for now. Once we pay off the Forester in 5 years our van will be due for replacement, and that will open up several options for us.

Thanks for all the help.

Ned
Old 04-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #34

The Forester includes some nice upgrades that you'll appreciate. Best of luck and congrats!

Tags