Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #1

3170 questions

My wife and I are considering a 2012 3170 but have a few questions.
1. GVWR is 14500, GCWR is 22500, hitch rating is 5000lbs therefore tow rating is 5000. If I changed out the receiver, load the MH to 14500, can I tow 8000lbs, or am I limited to 5000lbs
2. What is the CCC. With 4 kids this is a very real concern for us. These little buggers sure need a lot of stuff
3. How much weight can the overhead bunk handle.

I am sure I will come up with more, but these are the pressing issues right now. We went to look at a Canadream unit and I was impressed with the quality, but sales people have been known to say what you want to hear and not necessarily the truth.
Thanks for the help
Ned

Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #2

We just sold our 3171DS (Forester version), so let me see if I can assist.

On changing the hitch out, I wouldn't recommend it. This chassis is already stretched to near the max length and capacity of the E450 chassis. Contact Ford, they may offer a different opinion.

Depending on the options, there is typically around 2K of CC without liquid. Packing with common sense is "good advice" for any RV/ It is real easy to overpack with things that are never used on a trip (I have a young family, been there).

The cab bunk is rated for about 300lbs - I got mixed numbers from the factory when I toured and asked, but the product engineer (can't recall name) stated 300lbs is a safe bet.

Our quality has been very good for a moving house on a flexing chassis. No major issues, mostly some minor cosmetics or an easy swap out of a light cover, etc. We drove ours from Maine to NM & AZ, and all over New England. Best of luck!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

This is not good news on the hitch. We wanted to tow an F-150 with us. I am not sure what one weighs, I am sure it is over 5000 lbs. and less than 8000. The dealer of course says no problem, they change out hitches all the time for customers. Now I am not so sure.
As far as the CCC, this could a problem as well. With a young family that weighs 600 lbs today and growing, we could run out of room very soon.
Any other opinions are welcomed. I am glad I asked now not later
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Right now we have a fifth wheel and use a dually to pull it. This combo works great for short trips, a couple hours or less. Anything longer and the oldest, who sits in the front with us, starts to complain that his legs hurt and there is not enough room.
We were thinking that a class c would be easier for longer trips but with such a low CCC, this may not be the best option.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

In all honesty, you're gonna be hard pressed to safely fit in a class c, unless you go with some sort of super c on the FL chassis. I hadn't weighed our 3121 yet, but I bet we're close to the Gvwr and under the gcwr (Honda Fit is light). Not sure if y'all have considered a class A, but a good used diesel pusher will be in the same price range, haul the f-150 and fit all the kids stuff. Bed arrangement would be different. They do have bunk houses and forward drop down beds. We have 2 kids and oddly enough the bunk house didn't work well for us even in the class a. Bathroom had to be bigger. Tough call as unless you got deep pockets, you can't design your own floor plan.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Plain Old Member

On another note, the fifth wheel one ton combo is very hard to beat. We had that set up before, and may eventually go back to it in the future. But, I know what you mean on leg room and comfort. 1000 miles in a one ton with kids can be rough.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
My wife and I are considering a 2012 3170 but have a few questions.
1. GVWR is 14500, GCWR is 22500, hitch rating is 5000lbs therefore tow rating is 5000. If I changed out the receiver, load the MH to 14500, can I tow 8000lbs, or am I limited to 5000lbs
2. What is the CCC. With 4 kids this is a very real concern for us. These little buggers sure need a lot of stuff
3. How much weight can the overhead bunk handle.

I am sure I will come up with more, but these are the pressing issues right now. We went to look at a Canadream unit and I was impressed with the quality, but sales people have been known to say what you want to hear and not necessarily the truth.
Thanks for the help
Ned
1. Someone on here is towing a 7,000 lbs trailer. can't remember the handle The GCWR is mainly concerned with the brakes & transmission (Motocross maybe?). As long as you tow 4 wheels down on the F150 (no weight on the hitch) that should be fine.

2. CCC will be your limiting factor. I have a thread on here Solera - Towing Clarification check that out as most of it applies...just change the numbers.

3. Official rating is 300lbs. Partly because there is no federal test for it. If you say 600 lbs...and then you have 600 lbs up there while driving (yes I know, you're not supposed to....but how can we be sure everyone uses something the legal way)...bouncing around it effectively doubles that weight.

I can tell you this. I know a group that goes on a ski trip every year and they have (2) grown men up there. Not big guys, but I'm guessing its 400 lbs. Never had an issues. (that is not the official response, just telling you my experience).
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

I should have been more clear on the towing question. Whatever we tow will be 4 wheels down. I am new at this MH stuff so I was assuming 4 wheels down has no tongue weight so none of the towed vehicle would count against my GVWR only my GCWR. So my line of thinking was if I load the MH to its GVWR of 14500 (people, food, luggage, kids toys, water, etc), then flat tow a truck behind (let's say the truck is 6500 lbs) then I am not exceeding my GVWR of 14500, and my GCWR (MH and toad) will be 21000 lbs, below the 22500 GCWR.

I hope that explanation is a little better.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
GM

You were pretty clear. I assumed you were towing 4 down, just clarifying versus the guy towing a trailer with hitch weight. (more for people who come along and read this after the fact)

I'd check the weight of the truck too. Many F150's are just over 5,000lbs.. 2012 I think had a curb weight listed at 5,600lbs (depending on package of course).

We're in the process of testing our current hitch since we have some capacity to spare with the Ford's. We rate the hitches at 5,000lbs. We ran a 7,500 lbs test on it and the only thing that failed were the safety chain loops. We may beef those up so we can offer a 7,500lbs hitch from the factory.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Plain Old Member

Bclemens, I'm curious now. We bought the honda just because of weight. So you think towing a f-150 or Short 4 door Expedition in our case, is safe provided you have the supplemental braking? I know the torqueshift transmission can handle it. Hitch is rated for 5k and vehicle is probably 6k. If it's reasonably safe, I'll probably have the Expe rigged up with DS disconnect and brake system. Anybody got some real world experience towing flat towing something that size?

Tags