Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

3170 slide-out not working

Unfortunately I'm back with a major problem. We just finished up a weekend of camping and before we left the campground I tried pulling in the front slide-out on our 2014 3170ds. I could hear the motor start to work and the slide came partially in, stopped, and resumed unusually slow until the slide was all the way in. Now when I've pulled in the front slide before, it usually made a clicking noise to let me know it's fully in, however this time it made a strange "whirring" noise and I didn't hear the clicking. So when we got home I tried pushing the slide out and i could hear the whirring noise again and this time the slide was not moving at all. So right now I've got it scheduled to be serviced later this week but what could be the problem? I just bought the darn thing!

Thanks
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

And I checked to see if anything was lodged under the slide and there was nothing blocking it so that couldn't have been the problem
Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

My 2008 Georgetown bedroom slide this past trip Jume made an awful metallic sound when retracting..tried going back out,,,same noise...did not use rest of trip ..in service now for repairs!
Good luck, George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Weak battery?
It might show 12+ volts or all lights on the LED on the convenience panel but you could have a shorted cell affecting the reserve capacity.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
Weak battery?

It might show 12+ volts or all lights on the LED on the convenience panel but you could have a shorted cell affecting the reserve capacity.

Bobby

At first I thought this might've been the problem, but remembered that both times I've pulled in and pushed out the slide I had the coach connected to 30amp.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMezzoprete View Post
At first I thought this might've been the problem, but remembered that both times I've pulled in and pushed out the slide I had the coach connected to 30amp.
I believe the slide-out motors get their power direct from the batteries. I can understand your thinking that the batteries are still getting power or a boost from the converter however; my belief is the battery is too weak even with the boost of the converter.
The reason you don't hear the clutch of the motor (clicking noise) is that the motor is too weak to get to the point of the clutch release.

Bobby
Old 09-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #7

Sounds like a broken shear pin on the drive motor.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

A broken shear pin - the motor would spin easily since the motor is not under load.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Commercial Member

^^This would be my guess^^.

If it's the front slide motor, for some reason I think Lippert cheapened up the shear pin. I don't think anyone takes the time to think about a worse case scenario when they try to save a buck. We immediately noticed it, complained and they went back to a beefier pin. Not sure how many got out that way.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #10

OK, I guess I interpreted the whirring noise as a motor low on power. So in thinking I guess the shear pin could be the culprit and the whirring is the motor spinning with no load.
When I read the OP that it slowed then stopped - the whirring being a stalled motor but I guess that's actually a hummmm.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

Ever notice how hard it is to spell out a sound?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #12

Just dropped it off for service today and will keep posted when they let me know what's wrong
Old 09-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Is there any way to get the better pin from them and replace it in advance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

If it's the front slide motor, for some reason I think Lippert cheapened up the shear pin. I don't think anyone takes the time to think about a worse case scenario when they try to save a buck. We immediately noticed it, complained and they went back to a beefier pin. Not sure how many got out that way.
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Commercial Member

You would be wasting time unless you knew it was one with the pin..I'm not sure they knew and it wasn't very many.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #15

Quick question in regards to this thread... is the tell tale sign of the shear pin on the way out is a clicking sound as the slide goes in our out?
TEC1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Commercial Member

No...clicking is the clutch typically. that is normally on an above floor slide.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #17

Thanks for your quick reply...
TEC1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #18

Hi all, just spoke with the dealer in regards to the broken slide. Unfortunately it's a bigger problem than I thought and they're gonna need to keep the coach for over a month while they order the parts and fix it. They said it had something to do with the slide transmission, but I wasn't able to follow what they were saying. Apparently it is a very rare problem so that's why it will take forever to fix. I will keep updating once I get more info.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
Love My Sunseeker

My 2013 model got out with one of those. this happened to me couple years ago, I was still under warranty at the time.

Each time I bring the slide in, I still pray.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, slide, slide out